GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think so. At least one of them did.
Damn how did the wright screw this up. Coffey mentored the kid. He could have been an Oiler for life with Coffey around.

And then there’s this:
Paul Coffey, who'd tell any NHL scout and general manager who'd listen that Johnston doesn't rely solely on his offensive skills.

"It didn't matter what point of the game it was - if I needed to win a faceoff, to kill a penalty, to score a goal, Wyatt was always the first guy I tapped to go out there," Coffey recalled of a teenager with "off the charts" hockey sense.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Damn how did the wright screw this up. Coffey mentored the kid. He could have been an Oiler for life with Coffey around.

And then there’s this:
Paul Coffey, who'd tell any NHL scout and general manager who'd listen that Johnston doesn't rely solely on his offensive skills.

"It didn't matter what point of the game it was - if I needed to win a faceoff, to kill a penalty, to score a goal, Wyatt was always the first guy I tapped to go out there," Coffey recalled of a teenager with "off the charts" hockey sense.

Tyler Wright is an idiot and Ken Holland an even bigger idiot for giving him free rein when he hasn’t drafted worth a shit since he’s been here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bertuzzi oblivious to any discussion on the bench. Thinking about when the playoffs are over and being able to lay back on crack ranch.

The Leafs never disappoint and the mindset of that core was never going to get anything significant done. The kind of players that WANT to be on the fashion run way depicted in Slapshot. But not to shake it, they can't find it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Was just that Dallas got the W in OT but WTF Seguin? Finish something. Robertson, Hintz, the same. These guys scoring just disappears in playoffs. Suddenly they pass off eveything, take muff shots.

Thompson was good but Dallas have been building his confidence all series. Should be 2-1 Dallas in series. They've been by far better club in two of the games. Dallas players get so uptight around net in playoffs. Convince themselves they won't score with the type of shots they are taking.

Should it only be Johnson figuring it out? Beauty goal in OT, good patience. Was the only time in night a Dallas player had Thompson guessing.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If I'm a rebuilding team I'm the guy 'helping' the Leafs shed the Marner contract. It is absolutely unfair the kind of criticism he's taking in that market. And it's going to lead Treliving into making another horrendous series of moves.

Marner is a good hockey player who plays for a team that had gotten shallower and shallower year over year.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
32ACAED6-ED18-45DA-AFD1-A44C7BAF580B.jpeg

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If I'm a rebuilding team I'm the guy 'helping' the Leafs shed the Marner contract. It is absolutely unfair the kind of criticism he's taking in that market. And it's going to lead Treliving into making another horrendous series of moves.

Marner is a good hockey player who plays for a team that had gotten shallower and shallower year over year.
I just question what the best course of action is for the Leafs here.

I almost wonder if Marner has more value in a 50% retained deal, than he does in a sign and trade? Do one re-tool year in Toronto, and then load up when the Marner/Tavares deals are off the books?

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a great player. But what contender has the cap space to add him at full value plus a potential raise long term? What up and coming team wants to shed big assets to build around a small winger with no playoff urgency?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I just question what the best course of action is for the Leafs here.

I almost wonder if Marner has more value in a 50% retained deal, than he does in a sign and trade? Do one re-tool year in Toronto, and then load up when the Marner/Tavares deals are off the books?

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a great player. But what contender has the cap space to add him at full value plus a potential raise long term? What up and coming team wants to shed big assets to build around a small winger with no playoff urgency?

Reactions: bellagiobob

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Jets look overwhelmed, the Avs are all over them.

Edit: They score! Come on Jets, win this one!

Oh damn, this is coming off, offside. :(

Good goal!

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad