Around the League - 2022 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

At least they have another 20-something year old on their roster now. That would have been a crushing blow if they couldn’t get him signed by the start of the year.

Another team that’s just old and slow and is pretty much a collector of antiques. I don’t think they’re quite as old as the Islanders though. Pavelski, Suter, Benn and Seguin remind me of guys that won a cup together and they kept the team together (like the Kings and even the Hawks up until recently) because of it, but the first two guys haven’t even been with Dallas a long time.

They’re actually lucky Pavelski is still playing like he’s 10-12 years younger than he is.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I have no idea what to make of the Rags. I think their X-factor is the kids...if they don't progress, I don't believe they are good enough to be legit Cup Contenders.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Interesting deal, Robertson will still be RFA after because of his late July birthday (shades of Parise). He'll have a ton of leverage though being a year away from UFA, assuming he keeps up his level of play. Thought he might do a 3 year deal a la Tkachuk/Barzal but the end result is essentially the same.

But at least there won't be any more offer sheet threads on the main boards. Some folks couldn't quite understand how the taxes would make a hypothetical Anaheim offer sheet not as attractive as it seemed.

7.75 mil in Dallas ~ 4.6 mil post tax
9 million in Anaheim ~ 4.3 mil post tax

Reactions: Bone Density

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Interesting deal, Robertson will still be RFA after because of his late July birthday (shades of Parise). He'll have a ton of leverage though being a year away from UFA, assuming he keeps up his level of play. Thought he might do a 3 year deal a la Tkachuk/Barzal but the end result is essentially the same.

But at least there won't be any more offer sheet threads on the main boards. Some folks couldn't quite understand how the taxes would make a hypothetical Anaheim offer sheet not as attractive as it seemed.

7.75 mil in Dallas ~ 4.6 mil post tax
9 million in Anaheim ~ 4.3 mil post tax
Difference isn't actually that big. Gap is closer to half that size because you're taxed where you play.

Weird contract to sign though. He probably should have either A) gotten more money or B) taken himself to UFA. Taking sub 8 just to be an RFA is sort of wonky, unless he thinks he'll have so much leverage he can use it to force an out a year earlier and sign whatever deal he wants wherever he wants Tkachuk style

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Zacha looks great lol

Could not care one iota less if Zacha scores 100 points this year.

I got 3 different text tonight from my wife's family members that live Massachusetts each saying the exact same thing.

"Thank you for Zacha".

I have a feeling that this is going to be a pain in the ass of a year.
EA35E98D-7A7F-4BAA-B3E7-62E10E74FD8B.jpeg

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m at least gonna be the honest one here, I’m not only gonna be kinda pissed if Zacha scores 80+ points with the Bruins, I fully expect it to happen, even if he doesn’t play much on with Bergeron and Pasta. I’d be upset if that happened anywhere outside of us, but as I’ve mentioned, Boston is a fetid hive of awful fans, so it’ll be a little extra annoying for me.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I’m at least gonna be the honest one here, I’m not only gonna be kinda pissed if Zacha scores 80+ points with the Bruins, I fully expect it to happen, even if he doesn’t play much on with Bergeron and Pasta. I’d be upset if that happened anywhere outside of us, but as I’ve mentioned, Boston is a fetid hive of awful fans, so it’ll be a little extra annoying for me.
Boston, New York and Philadelphia.

Obnoxious fans and bad accents.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
For the record I was fine with moving on from Zacha and would be shocked if has any significant improvement away from the devils consistently. Was just watching the game because I enjoy rooting against the rangers 100% of the time and his line with pastrnak and krejci absolutely caved in the rags.

Reactions: Guttersniped

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If Bergeron and Pasta stay healthy and play at the level they have in previous seasons, and Zacha spends significant time playing alongside them…I’d be surprised if he DOESN’T put up 70+ points.

I won’t be pissed if that happens, but I’d definitely view it as a knock on our forward group that we didn’t have anyone good enough to turn Pavel into that kind of point producer.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Bergeron and Pasta stay healthy and play at the level they have in previous seasons, and Zacha spends significant time playing alongside them…I’d be surprised if he DOESN’T put up 70+ points.

I won’t be pissed if that happens, but I’d definitely view it as a knock on our forward group that we didn’t have anyone good enough to turn Pavel into that kind of point producer.
If it’s other playing turning Zacha into a 70 point player then it really isn’t about Zacha being good, it’s about being carried by better players.

There are lots of guys who can put up more points being carried by better players.

Also, at even money, I’d bet heavily that Zacha doesn’t go from averaging 38 points a season to scoring 70.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If it’s other playing turning Zacha into a 70 point player then it really isn’t about Zacha being good, it’s about being carried by better players.

There are lots of guys who can put up more points being carried by better players.

Also, at even money, I’d bet heavily that Zacha doesn’t go from averaging 38 points a season to scoring 70.
Well yeah that’s my point. If a mediocre player like Zacha could be carried by better players on another team…isn’t that a bit of an indictment of the players he played alongside here?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Well yeah that’s my point. If a mediocre player like Zacha could be carried by better players on another team…isn’t that a bit of an indictment of the players he played alongside here?
He likely won’t end up at 70 points so it’s a bit of an empty question.

It still wouldn’t be an indictment on the Devils players. Last year multiple players were able to rack up points while Zacha couldn’t ride along. The only fault in this is Zacha for either lacking mindset, ability, or some of both.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

If Zacha turns into a 70 pt player, I wouldn't hold it against anyone but him. For the same reason he was so polarizing here, everyone knew he could just turn it on and had the ability, but for some reason he just wouldn't. That's not a line mate thing, because we've seen him make solo plays plenty of times. It's a him thing.

He's a very solid hockey player, when he chooses to be.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I have no idea what to make of the Rags. I think their X-factor is the kids...if they don't progress, I don't believe they are good enough to be legit Cup Contenders.
Everyone, it seems, is predicting the Rags to be legitimate contenders. They were a Trouba cheap hit away from a first round exit last year.

For this season I can't see Kreider duplicating his 52 goals. I think the will overplay Shesterkin because Halak sucks. Teams will be more cognizant of staying out of the penalty box as it's the only way the Rags score. I think they struggle a bit more this year and don't match of the overhyped expectations their fans have.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Boston has a much older established lineup. Zacha can basically be a passenger there. In NJ he was asked to carry some of the water. It's a bit of apples and oranges. My guess is 25-27 year old Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, etc. will be pretty good and could carry a limited player like Zacha to a better outcome than we saw. That could be what happens with Shara here. Even if Zacha has a big season for Boston I'd be more curious what happens if they extend him for a market rate contract and then Bergeron and Krecji retire, Hall and Marchand are that much older and suddenly Zacha has to assume the role he could never settle into with NJ. One year of a player isn't going to change a franchise in most instances. I don't see Zacha, no matter how well he might do for one year there, being any different.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Everyone, it seems, is predicting the Rags to be legitimate contenders. They were a Trouba cheap hit away from a first round exit last year.

For this season I can't see Kreider duplicating his 52 goals. I think the will overplay Shesterkin because Halak sucks. Teams will be more cognizant of staying out of the penalty box as it's the only way the Rags score. I think they struggle a bit more this year and don't match of the overhyped expectations their fans have.
They're definitely making the playoffs but how far they go depends on the further development of the forward youth. Laffy will have a step forward, but I'm skeptical of Kakko and Chytil.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They're definitely making the playoffs but how far they go depends on the further development of the forward youth. Laffy will have a step forward, but I'm skeptical of Kakko and Chytil.
Unless Shesty has an injury. Then they aren't such a lock. If he has to play 65 games because Halak is old and decrepit will Shesty hold up? The Rags will score enough to be competent but their team defense and overall play was very uneven outside the PP.

Reactions: RangerDoggo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad