Around the League - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's sad, because Benning FUBAR'd that team badly and almost everythiung that's going on there right now is his fault.

But the real first signature move that the new regime made was re-signing a guy that they were nonstop talking about trading for close to a year before he was mysteriously re-signed out of nowhere.

But as I always say, Rutherford isn't any good. He won the cup twice in Pittsburgh with a combination of Shero's guys and a few hall of famers who were drafted even before Shero and were a product of the early 00's dark years there.

Rutherford was mostly a joke in Hartford/Carolina, in spite of one cup win, another cup finals and a whole lot of playoff misses. Almost nothing but playoff misses outside of those two cups finals runs, save for 2009. Was there another playoff berth in there sometime? Can't remember.
Apparently the problem in VAN is ownership

Reactions: Bleedred

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Horvat is definitely a player i would love to snag. I think he would fit in immensely well here.

He's a UFA right?

He’s going to get PAID and it’s likely going to be a bad deal. Also probably going to be too high of a price to pay for a rental. Pass

Could they and should they still sell Miller? I can’t see it happening but I’d imagine they could get some decent assets/futures back for him if they retained 1-2M. Obviously that’s a lot given he has 7 years after this. But would that be better than carrying him around as a potential 8M anchor for 7 years.

The problem for the Canucks is that they do have a few a really good young pieces in their mid 25s. If they were to go into a full rebuild which may be where they’re headed it will be hard to keep those guys around.

Yeah I mean ditch him for whatever you can at this point if you even can but it’s a far cry from what they could’ve gotten

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Lol

Honestly feel like the Canucks should be doing what they can to get rid of him and try to keep Horvat. Even if they have to retain some salary or something it’s probably worth it if he keeps going like this. Although Horvat is having a unreal year that’s likely gonna see him overpaid.

This guy is so f***ing insufferable. Here’s a sterling example of JT Miller’s passionate commitment to heady two-way play.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Guy has 2 goals in his last 14 games and is yelling at the third string goalie who kept them in the game when he's the one circling back into his own zone with the puck. What a dipshit.
Crazy I hear nothing but good things about JT Miller.... until he signs that extension that surprised everyone... Now multiple instances of him giving up on plays... now this. Very strange.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Crazy I hear nothing but good things about JT Miller.... until he signs that extension that surprised everyone... Now multiple instances of him giving up on plays... now this. Very strange.
There was heavy talk of him being a locker room cancer around the time Green was fired and Boudreau was brought in. And that he was a big part of the problem there. That was when all the trade talk started.

I'm just not sure if this was stupid media speculation or actually legit.

But I was still surprised they brought him back.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He seems...I'll call it unpleasant. I'm going to guess the locker room problem stuff has at least some truth to it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow, a late 1st round pick from five years ago that hasn’t done shit since he left the CHL three years ago? And he has a reputation for a poor attitude?

Where’s that gif of Vince McMahon being progressively more tantalized when you need it?

What I'll miss is this one particular Sharks homer on the main board namedropping Merkley in every top prospects thread.

Trade request does make sense for his sake although having it get leaked publicly won't put him in good light. Regime change in San Jose and it didn't seem like Merkley was remotely in their plans. Maybe somebody like Seattle could use him in the AHL? They only have two RD in the AHL and don't have a ton of prospects (obviously) in Merkley's age range.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
He’s 5.25 until the end of next season, we’re way down the list so I doubt we get him but man that’s surprising

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Have the injuries issues been that big for him?? He’s a guy I really really wanted when he was in Washington to play with Jack or Nico

Not sure, didn't he just get reinstated from the league's assistance program a few weeks ago? I think he's at least healthy now.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Not sure, didn't he just get reinstated from the league's assistance program a few weeks ago? I think he's at least healthy now.
I was going to bring the assistance program up. I hope him being on waivers isn’t indicative of real life troubles.

Reactions: Mgd31

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Interesting, Vrana was in the midst of an AHL conditioning stint after returning from the NHLPA player assistance program. Maybe more problems happening off the ice?

At least according to CapFriendly, only a few teams could claim Vrana (5.25 AAV) outright: Ottawa, Minnesota, Anaheim, Buffalo, and Arizona. I'd imagine Ducks GM Pat Verbeek (came from Detroit) could stay away if he has any shared info with Yzerman. Salary might be a concern with Ottawa/Arizona. Minnesota seems filled to the brim with wingers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm am extremely pleased to see Vrana on waivers, as I was actually a little worried he would help Detroit score a few more goals and help get them a few more wins, especially they won at an okay clip without him.

They need more good players, as they're really not a good team and the last we saw of him at the NHL level he was still a good player.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ya no thanks to Horvat . He’s good but not the missing piece we need or anything. And if we traded for him and resigned him , it would more or less be the last “big piece “ we could add unless we ship out people.
Sabe the room for as close to perfect of a fit as we can get.
Meier . Or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad