Around the League - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
Not that anyone cares but it really grinds my gears that NHL top 50 players has Barkov & Shesterkin and more over Kucherov...??? Not sure I'd even rank Crosby over him either. That list is nonsense just based on that alone

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The other thread got closed so couldn't reply and don't know how to bring those posts to here so just wanted mention about. I will give cole credit he didn't hide like other players he actually had a comment denying the allegations against him when according to the HF legal experts on here he didn't really have to do. I agree completely that the bolts should've suspended him just like any normal person in the real world gets suspended pending an investigation. which is exactly why i said mikey looks guilty AF for refusing to comment or deny the story about him and the devils 10000000% should have him sitting pending the investigation. seriously will be amazing if he goes out there lights it up and then we find out in a few weeks/month/whenever that he was involved in an alleged rape that we all know hes being investigated for.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not that anyone cares but it really grinds my gears that NHL top 50 players has Barkov & Shesterkin and more over Kucherov...??? Not sure I'd even rank Crosby over him either. That list is nonsense just based on that alone
I could argue Shesterkin over him because Shesterkin plays the most important position and he's no worse than than the second best at that position in the league.

The only argument against Shesterkin for me is that he's only really been in the league for 2 full seasons so far, but both were really good and last season was insanely good and worth a Hart Trophy final (was he top-3 in the Hart by season's end?) for him.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I agree Kuch is ranked a bit low, could have to do with missing games last year. That said I think Crosby still top 5. Sure his skill has regressed but his intangibles are too valuable. He would have my vote as the smartest player in the league, he makes everyone around him drastically better. Watching him vs rangers in the playoffs last year made it pretty obvious to me that he's still one of the best when it counts the most.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The other thread got closed so couldn't reply and don't know how to bring those posts to here so just wanted mention about. I will give cole credit he didn't hide like other players he actually had a comment denying the allegations against him when according to the HF legal experts on here he didn't really have to do. I agree completely that the bolts should've suspended him just like any normal person in the real world gets suspended pending an investigation. which is exactly why i said mikey looks guilty AF for refusing to comment or deny the story about him and the devils 10000000% should have him sitting pending the investigation. seriously will be amazing if he goes out there lights it up and then we find out in a few weeks/month/whenever that he was involved in an alleged rape that we all know hes being investigated for.

I don’t know why you lump every conversation you have with individual posters into some imaginary Metadiscussion/debate between you and the entire board.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Has any team suspended any player for the WJC investigation? I'm glad you feel good about Cole's statement but it's meaningless in terms of the ultimate disposition.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don’t know why you lump every conversation you have with individual posters into some imaginary Metadiscussion/debate between you and the entire board.
i dont take names those that i've spoken to in the past about it know who they are. i'm not lumping anyone into anything just me and legal scholars on here thats all.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Has any team suspended any player for the WJC investigation? I'm glad you feel good about Cole's statement but it's meaningless in terms of the ultimate disposition.

of course it doesn't just like mikey not commenting doesn't mean anything either. just one guy saying he's innocent and the other guy not even commenting.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
of course it doesn't just like mikey not commenting doesn't mean anything either. just one guy saying he's innocent and the other guy not even commenting.
You had suggested you were glad to see Cole’s statement as opposed to McLeod and made what I interpreted as a snarky comment. Now you are saying it doesn’t matter? In any event I want to think the accuser did not endure ongoing sexual abuse as a minor. Ugh. Just awful. I have two questions about it right now: where were her parents and have they gotten the criminal authorities involved? If Cole did what he is accused of and the worst that happens to him is he has his contract terminated that isn’t a proper outcome in my view.

Reactions: HBK27

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You had suggested you were glad to see Cole’s statement as opposed to McLeod and made what I interpreted as a snarky comment. Now you are saying it doesn’t matter? In any event I want to think the accuser did not endure ongoing sexual abuse as a minor. Ugh. Just awful. I have two questions about it right now: where were her parents and have they gotten the criminal authorities involved? If Cole did what he is accused of and the worst that happens to him is he has his contract terminated that isn’t a proper outcome in my view.
its not a snarky comment his no comment makes him look guilty AF to me. does that matter in the court of law? no it doesn't but we aren't talking about that at least i'm not i'm talking about public opinion. it looks real shitty just like cole saying hes innocent doesn't mean shit but at least he made a comment when he didn't have to.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Just to stop trying to normalize paedophiles and predators...

Does anyone know if Logan Morrison made an NHL team? I think he actually signed a contract with Dallas (or someone), right? So no way to grab him for Utica?

My3Sons

Sponsor
its not a snarky comment his no comment makes him look guilty AF to me. does that matter in the court of law? no it doesn't but we aren't talking about that at least i'm not i'm talking about public opinion. it looks real shitty just like cole saying hes innocent doesn't mean shit but at least he made a comment when he didn't have to.
Blame McLeod’s lawyer. I doubt McLeod is driving his own bus on this. I agree it looks bad but the whole situation looks bad for everyone on that team until specifics come to light, carefully worded statement written by counsel or not.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
I could argue Shesterkin over him because Shesterkin plays the most important position and he's no worse than than the second best at that position in the league.

The only argument against Shesterkin for me is that he's only really been in the league for 2 full seasons so far, but both were really good and last season was insanely good and worth a Hart Trophy final (was he top-3 in the Hart by season's end?) for him.

positionally that's definitely fair. He certainly belongs in that region, I just think its ridiculous to have to kucherov not near the top 5. Yes he missed time, but shouldn't that hurt crosby just as much as it would kucherov.
He should be right next to Mackinnon, maybe slightly behind. But the man has two cups and has put points on the board right along with McDavid or just slightly behind. He should be top 5.

I agree Kuch is ranked a bit low, could have to do with missing games last year. That said I think Crosby still top 5. Sure his skill has regressed but his intangibles are too valuable. He would have my vote as the smartest player in the league, he makes everyone around him drastically better. Watching him vs rangers in the playoffs last year made it pretty obvious to me that he's still one of the best when it counts the most.

Crosby deserves to be up there. In agreement with everything you've said. But just based on the current state of the talent levels and season-long impact I would not have Kucherov below Crosby at this point. Smartest player, sure Crosby can take that. But just plain best players - Kuch has the hardware, the points, the on ice impact right along with pretty much anyone else besides McDavid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blame McLeod’s lawyer. I doubt McLeod is driving his own bus on this. I agree it looks bad but the whole situation looks bad for everyone on that team until specifics come to light, carefully worded statement written by counsel or not.
In response to your post from the old thread last night, I'm glad someone that is actually in the know on legal matters is also surprised at why it's taking so long for this investigation or to find out any names.

I've actually been wondering myself why this is dragging out so long. I've been asking myself for a while what's taking so long, but I figured maybe I just don't know the legal system well enough to know.

I really thought we'd have some names by now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Does anyone know if Logan Morrison made an NHL team? I think he actually signed a contract with Dallas (or someone), right? So no way to grab him for Utica?

Dallas didn't end up signing Morrison after inviting him to prospect+main camp and he's since returned to Hamilton/OHL. I forget if there's a specific window that's closed to sign an ELC for this season, but I'd expect Morrison to play out this season and try to land a contract in 2023.

Slightly different circumstances, but Jake Muzzin was drafted in 2007 but wasn't signed by Pittsburgh. He went undrafted in 2009 and attended Nashville's summer prospect camp. Nashville didn't sign him and Muzzin went back for his overage year. After a big start, he started to get NHL interest again.

Found an old snippet where he more or less agreed to terms with LA in December 2009, but waited to officially sign until January because it was better for future arbitration rights: Greyhounds' Muzzin to ink free agent deal with Kings

It looks like we signed Joe Blandisi way back when in January 2015 as well. Blandisi was like Muzzin where he was drafted but wasn't signed then had a big overage season.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
As far as hockey minds go, I still have Crosby and Kucherov above everyone else.

McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews all have stronger results and of course, they're better now, but I wonder how they'll age. I'm not sure it'll be as pretty as 87 and 86.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

The Coyotes picked the hottest name off the waivers.

Leaf fans were ready to whine but it’s the Caps who lose two guys.

Florida grab the upside candidate on defense.

Everyone loves Rangers plugs.

• Wow
Reactions: Bleedred

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
no no no see thats the problem. lets blame someone other then mike hes a grown adult that got into this situation he can make a statement that won't hurt him legally saying hes not guilty and will do whatever it takes to clear his name and no further comment speak to my lawyer. now its just me assuming that hes not innocent and thats why hes not talking.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back in 2017, Anaheim sacrificed Shea Theodore to get Vegas to take Clayton Stoner's unwanted contract (3.5 mil) in the Expansion Draft. Part of their rationale was that they were loaded with prospect D plus they had Hampus Lindholm and Cam Fowler in the middle of their primes.

Marcus Pettersson - had just signed his ELC
Brandon Montour - 89 points in 104 AHL games
Jacob Larsson - had just made his NHL debut
Josh Mahura - 53 points in 73 WHL games, 21 points in 23 playoff games

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Back in 2017, Anaheim sacrificed Shea Theodore to get Vegas to take Clayton Stoner's unwanted contract (3.5 mil) in the Expansion Draft. Part of their rationale was that they were loaded with prospect D plus they had Hampus Lindholm and Cam Fowler in the middle of their primes.

Marcus Pettersson - had just signed his ELC
Brandon Montour - 89 points in 104 AHL games
Jacob Larsson - had just made his NHL debut
Josh Mahura - 53 points in 73 WHL games, 21 points in 23 playoff games
They also did it to keep both Vantaten and Manson too, Murray wanted to keep his defensive core intact.

At the time Manson was the perfect partner for Lindholm and Murray was madly in love with his intangibles. Vatanen’s 2016-17 wasn’t so great but his two previous ones were actually great (despite injuries).

Theodore was looking like a pure offensive defenseman who was struggling to put it all together.

It was obviously the wrong decision in retrospect but it was the perfect storm for that decision. A good chunk of Duck fans were fine with the move. (Some others thought they would regret losing Theodore but it wasn’t the prevailing take or anything.)

Then the team got worse pretty quickly and Vatanen was not bouncing back. Manson didn’t turn into the stud they envisioned but Murray’s love of him remained. Vatanen was obviously the guy to have dumped in retrospect but that’s life.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They also did it to keep both Vantaten and Manson too, Murray wanted to keep his defensive core intact.

At the time Manson was the perfect partner for Lindholm and Murray was madly in love with his intangibles. Vatanen’s 2016-17 wasn’t so great but his two previous ones were actually great (despite injuries).

Theodore was looking like a pure offensive defenseman who was struggling to put it all together.

It was obviously the wrong decision in retrospect but it was the perfect storm for that decision. A good chunk of Duck fans were fine with the move. (Some others thought they would regret losing Theodore but it wasn’t the prevailing take or anything.)

Then the team got worse pretty quickly and Vatanen was not bouncing back. Manson didn’t turn into the stud they imagined but Murray’s love of him remained. Vatanen was obviously the guy to have dumped in retrospect but that’s life.

I completely forgot that they had to protect Bieksa because of his NMC. It was a reasonable gamble at the time, but definitely interesting to look back on.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The Coyotes picked the hottest name off the waivers.

Leaf fans were ready to whine but it’s the Caps who lose two guys.

Florida grab the upside candidate on defense.

Everyone loves Rangers plugs.

Why do the Coyotes keep picking up goalies?

They already picked up Jonas Johansson from Colorado on waivers like almost 2 weeks ago. Now Ingram?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I completely forgot that they had to protect Bieksa because of his NMC. It was a reasonable gamble at the time, but definitely interesting to look back on.

It is very interesting to look back on, at one point I even searched the old threads to the reactions to the Ducks move at the time.

I forget why I did that, it was probably because of claims that “everyone thought it was a terrible move at the time”. I like to go back to see what the actual reactions were, they’re often different than people remember.

That can go both ways, some people act as if the Zach Senyshyn pick is defensible years later but it was absolutely murdered without mercy in the original draft thread. (I looked at that recently lol.)

Edit: Looked it up. It was during a comparison of Vegas vs Seattle, using the Athletic’s article comparing the assets/rosters.

I even posted a couple of screen shots lol.
1AA2DC94-8DFF-401C-9790-86A344E39BB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Clam Jensen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad