Around the League - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He had some personal issue, I obviously have no idea what, and he used the Player’s Assistance Program to deal with it.

The Red Wings clearly have an issue with him and don’t mind losing him. All this “secret GM agreement” stuff is silly, the Red Wings have no problem with the risk here and he’s not tradable with that cap hit so they waived him.

Everyone was down on Mantha trade but Caps dumped Panik’s 2 year/2.75m contract and got rid of a problem player for a top six player with size.

Again, there’s no secret agreement if no one takes him. Since the April 12th trade Vrana has played 39 GP out of 117 possible games. A team with plenty of cap space to spare might take a chance on him, we don’t have the space though.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
What the hell? I don’t have a clue what his situation is with his personal life, but we could really use that type of scorer. He converts his chances at a super high rate.
For this year it would be worth a shot, but for next year it's too risky IMO. We really should be looking to compete for a deep playoff run next year and every dollar counts.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Is the player assistance program just for substance abuse issues? Or could it also help with things like maybe gambling addiction? Or could it also be mental health issues as well?

We didn't find out what it was with Carey Price, until he came out almost a year later and he specifically said it was alcohol. I think we knew it was to treat some kind of substance abuse, but no one knew what until Price talked about it at least 6 months later.
I didn't know that about Price. It's nice to hear him be open about that, and seems like it's helped his fanbase understand. I wonder if he paid the price for that playoff run...i.e he was managing pain and stress with alcohol and it worked for the time being but then had horrible lasting effects.

I don't like how much drug use has been normalized in the last decade. No one really cared about the Kuznetsov thing. Too many celebs, rappers, actors, etc are way too open about their extensive drug use too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I didn't know that about Price. It's nice to hear him be open about that, and seems like it's helped his fanbase understand. I wonder if he paid the price for that playoff run...i.e he was managing pain and stress with alcohol and it worked for the time being but then had horrible lasting effects.

I don't like how much drug use has been normalized in the last decade. No one really cared about the Kuznetsov thing. Too many celebs, rappers, actors, etc are way too open about their extensive drug use too.
It’s generally perceived as a personal choice issue. It’s also a spectrum of differences. Someone who is healthy and single with a stable life using some THC gummies once in a while is probably much different from a single parent smoking meth around the kids. Being a middle aged lawyer married to a divorce lawyer is probably more dangerous than the meth though.

Reactions: Bleedred

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
What the hell? I don’t have a clue what his situation is with his personal life, but we could really use that type of scorer. He converts his chances at a super high rate.
Oh great analytic darling. He could live in jersey city and be a short uber ride to NYC. What could possibly go wrong. Guy with substance abuse issues living in new york

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Oh great analytic darling. He could live in jersey city and be a short uber ride to NYC. What could possibly go wrong. Guy with substance abuse issues living in new york
Honestly when it comes to substance abuse in any large city with an NHL team is enough. You dont need to be in NYC to do drugs.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Goal scorer. As efficient as anyone but Matthews.

Theoretically I guess. Detroit is dumping him for free, so that’s not the first comparison that comes to mind.

If I was a rebuilding team with a lot of cap space and nothing much to lose then I might try to rehabilitate him.

We can’t trade for a guy with off reported work and attitude issues and expect those to magically go away on his 3rd NHL team.

They want to keep down on the AHL for a longer conditioning stint in part because he’s reportedly out of shape.

The team is trying to have more accountability this year as we take a step forward, getting a guy making 5.25m whose never taken that sort of message to heart ever, on any team he’s been on, probably isn’t a guy we want.

He’s supposedly a nice likable guy, it’s an effort level thing.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Theoretically I guess. Detroit is dumping him for free, so that’s not the first comparison that comes to mind.

If I was a rebuilding team with a lot of cap space and nothing much to lose then I might try to rehabilitate him.

We can’t trade for a guy with off reported work and attitude issues and expect those to magically go away on his 3rd NHL team.

They want to keep down on the AHL for a longer conditioning stint in part because he’s reportedly out of shape.

The team is trying to have more accountability this year as we take a step forward, getting a guy making 5.25m whose never taken that sort of message to heart ever, on any team he’s been on, probably isn’t a guy we want.

He’s supposedly a nice likable guy, it’s an effort level thing.
I’m not saying we need to get him exactly. Just that his player profile is like the exact guy that we could use right now. If his contact was terminated, I’d happily give him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad