GDT: Around the League 2021-22 v17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not saying it isn't, but they still have some good players. They still have a bunch of cap room and presumably a very big trade chip to come. It would be a good idea to see how all this plays out before some posters start calling them a lottery team.

Yeah, don’t think they’re a lottery team but they have thin prospect depth and will be losing their two best players. Likely a bubble team unless ownership finally gives the go ahead on a rebuild.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Yeah, don’t think they’re a lottery team but they have thin prospect depth and will be losing their two best players. Likely a bubble team unless ownership finally gives the go ahead on a rebuild.
They’re no lottery team unless they sell off lindholm and markstrom but losing their two best offensive players is going to hurt a lot, I see them drafting in the 8-12 range without a sell off or improving the roster outside of the tkachuk trade

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Flames organization would be GOAT stupid to not detonate the team literally today. Trade every good asset and take back bad contracts and fill the next 2 drafts.

Tkachuk
Hanifin
Anderson
Lindholm
Mangiapane
Markstrom
Etc

Kaboom.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I feel bad for the Flames...

But man... I hope we give them a few real good thumpings next year :deadhorse

The animals at calgarypuck deserve it

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's crazy how Tkachuk apparently wants to leave too though not totally unexpected... MAN! It's like McDavid's OT goal in game 5 cursed them. The BoA might be a snooze fest again for another 10 years or so.

My dad and uncle were camping over the weekend and they discussed the whole Flames situation (my uncle was born Calgarian.) My uncle says there's whispers that things could get even worse for the franchise if they can't straighten out the new arena situation. Said he could see the Flames leaving the city if things don't get turned around in a hurry and the team is forced to rebuild.

As much as I despise the Flames and can't help but sneer with glee at all the Neanderthals at Calgary puck who trumpeted the idea of Connor and Leon leaving Edmonton only to have basically the same thing happen to them after getting humiliated by the Oilers, I know that they don't represent the whole fanbase.

Part of me does feel bad for the city, Darryl, and Brad. I don't hate the city of Calgary at all. I hate the Flames but would never want the city they play in to lose their hockey team.
The Flamers aren't going anywhere. They operate in monopolistic conditions in a strong hockey market where NHL is king and leverage their sports entertainment business with football and junior hockey. Have a cherry lease in a dated building but have the financial ability with a very rich ownership consortia to fund their own building versus trying to leach public welfare dollars to subsidize their sports entertainment big business.

NHL expansion is now set at $650 million so the Flamers won't be approved to move into a U.S. market where they would fight to be the 3rd or 4th option for limited discretionary dollars from fans or corporates. Canadian NHL franchises are vital to the league's success with its broadcasting contract and gate admission.

It's a massive downturn for Calgary with it's personnel decision to buy American (players). They're facing the perfect storm right now and getting crushed. But the Flamers are rock solid in Calgary with a need to adjust their business decisions (buy Canadian (players)); choose between cheap rink rent on an older building or pay to build and own your own building if they view it vital for their profitability and ability to attract and retain their workforce of millionaire hockey players. They'll have lots of money which they will be prepared to spend to retool their franchise. Tough days but Canadian markets like Winnipeg have also been burned by American players not wanting to play in Canada. Flamers got caught thinking they could retain "their guys" and got royalty hooped. They'll be just fine after this storm cloud passes.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Great old school promo. Fox didn't get a lot right about hockey but this was really good:

I think it was FOX but maybe not…do you remember the one where the guys are in the hotel for a bachelor party and they’re like “we ordered Swedish twins” and then the Sedin’s come in wearing their hockey gear and start dancing. Holy shit I died laughing the first time I saw that one.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think it was FOX but maybe not…do you remember the one where the guys are in the hotel for a bachelor party and they’re like “we ordered Swedish twins” and then the Sedin’s come in wearing their hockey gear and start dancing. Holy shit I died laughing the first time I saw that one.
Yup that was a gooder!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Flames organization would be GOAT stupid to not detonate the team literally today. Trade every good asset and take back bad contracts and fill the next 2 drafts.

Tkachuk
Hanifin
Anderson
Lindholm
Mangiapane
Markstrom
Etc

Kaboom.
I would build around the Swedish contingent and keep the young guys that want to stay.

Lindholm, Backlund, Andersson, Markstrom... It's a pretty solid and affordable core that possesses some leadership.

They're going to have a quick influx of talent in the next couple seasons with guys like Coronato and Pelletier graduating. There will likely be more if they add to their 2023 draft haul.

Losing Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lucic, Monohan, etc opens up a lot of cap for them. They'll have a lot of flexibility moving forward.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I would build around the Swedish contingent and keep the young guys that want to stay.

Lindholm, Backlund, Andersson, Markstrom... It's a pretty solid and affordable core that possesses some leadership.

They're going to have a quick influx of talent in the next couple seasons with guys like Coronato and Pelletier graduating. There will likely be more if they add to their 2023 draft haul.

Losing Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lucic, Monohan, etc opens up a lot of cap for them. They'll have a lot of flexibility moving forward.
Where's the star in that group you just mentioned? Mediocrity sucks and that's where they're headed with that core.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Heavy speculation Tkachuk wants out almost solely because JG left and the future in Calgary isnt bright as a result

So Calgary was 2 hours away from resigning JG, and by extension Tkachuk- and being on their way to another season on being a semi-serious contender for the cup.

to

losing their best player, 2nd best player wanting out, and not having any good UFAs to use that cap space on (maybe could have made a run at Giroux if they would have known earlier about JG). And now they are looking at tanking as the most viable path forward

Unfortunately, even if they wanted to tank- because they added Markstrom/ Coleman and still have some solid players, they'll never be bad enough to land a top 3 spot in next years stacked draft. So theyll be stuck in limbo as a bottom 7-15 team. Not good enough to contend, not bad enough for a top pick

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

Donner

Jul 16, 2022

Gaudreau was a true elite game breaker and Tkachuk was as close to a gamebreaker as you can get, one of the bets wingers in the NHL.

It doesnt really matter how many 1st round picks or prospects they have/will get as it is highly, highly unlikely that any collection of them ever come close to the impact that even just 1 of JG/MT brought

I mean even just look at the last 5 first round picks for the Oilers- JP, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway. There is a top 5 pick, 2 top 10 picks and a 15th overall. Collectively that entire group likely doesnt have the same impact on wins next season that Gaudreau has.

This same thing can be done for the Flames former 1st round picks. Bennett, Poirer, Kilimchuk, Janikowski, Monahan, Valimaki, Bartschi. All of those guys collectively would be as valuable to wins as Tkachuk was (maybe prime Monahan and current Bennett together are as impactful)

Give them 10 first round picks. They wont come clost to what Gaudreau and Tkachuk brought

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Where's the star in that group you just mentioned? Mediocrity sucks and that's where they're headed with that core.
I see two very solid two-way centers and an elite goaltender.

Who are they pulling in the '23 draft? What can they do with that cap space? It's possible to ice a competitive team that isn't being driven by elite star talent.

A team like Boston could fall off next year and suddenly Taylor Hall or Jake Debrusk might shake loose. Perhaps Toronto finally bites it and the big four suddenly isn't safe.

It's in a rebuilding team's best interest to at least have a solid core group to persuade players to play there.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I'm kinda shocked no one on top has been canned or resigned yet for how poorly HC has handled this whole investigation.

Or has there been and I missed it??
They just moved on and becomes President of Hockey Operations for NHL teams (Nicholson, who laid the ground work to have that fund be used to silence victims)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gaudreau was a true elite game breaker and Tkachuk was as close to a gamebreaker as you can get, one of the bets wingers in the NHL.

It doesnt really matter how many 1st round picks or prospects they have/will get as it is highly, highly unlikely that any collection of them ever come close to the impact that even just 1 of JG/MT brought

I mean even just look at the last 5 first round picks for the Oilers- JP, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway. There is a top 5 pick, 2 top 10 picks and a 15th overall. Collectively that entire group likely doesnt have the same impact on wins next season that Gaudreau has.

This same thing can be done for the Flames former 1st round picks. Bennett, Poirer, Kilimchuk, Janikowski, Monahan, Valimaki, Bartschi. All of those guys collectively would be as valuable to wins as Tkachuk was (maybe prime Monahan and current Bennett together are as impactful)

Give them 10 first round picks. They wont come clost to what Gaudreau and Tkachuk brought
How many gamebreakers did Vegas have when they went to the Finals? Or Montreal, for that matter?

Depth is still necessary regardless of whether you're team possesses true elite talent. And when you're in a position where you have to sell the team and the city to a potential player, it's better for there to be some stability and form of leadership.

And the 2023 draft has potentially four franchise level skaters at the top at this point. If they finish in the lottery next season, they're going to get a very good player.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I see two very solid two-way centers and an elite goaltender.

Who are they pulling in the '23 draft? What can they do with that cap space? It's possible to ice a competitive team that isn't being driven by elite star talent.

A team like Boston could fall off next year and suddenly Taylor Hall or Jake Debrusk might shake loose. Perhaps Toronto finally bites it and the big four suddenly isn't safe.

It's in a rebuilding team's best interest to at least have a solid core group to persuade players to play there.
They do have a solid core and likely can be a playoff bubble team. But they are lacking top end talent needed and the depth really isnt great either

And building through free agency really never works either. You have to overpay big time for any impactful player. So cap space is good to have when you have the top end talent and need to build depth, but its less effective when you have some solid players, but need top end talent

Calgary lucked out big time with Gaudreau, and a bit with how good Tkachuk turned out to be. This type of luck is limited and its hard to seem them getting as lucky with the development of 1st round picks.

Losing JG and Tkachuk is like use losing McDavid and Draisaitl (who are a better duo, but in the same tier). We got incredibly lucky to get 97 with a 10.1% chance of winning the lotto, and were very lucky with how Draisaitl turned out.

If lost both of those guys, even if we got back a massive haul for one of them- its unlikely wed ever come close to replacing the impact they brought

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
How many gamebreakers did Vegas have when they went to the Finals? Or Montreal, for that matter?

Depth is still necessary regardless of whether you're team possesses true elite talent. And when you're in a position where you have to sell the team and the city to a potential player, it's better for there to be some stability and form of leadership.

And the 2023 draft has potentially four franchise level skaters at the top at this point. If they finish in the lottery next season, they're going to get a very good player.

Montreal had Price playing at an elite level. The next year, he was out and they landed the #1 overall pick.

Ill give you Vegas, but they had really good depth

And very true on the 2023 draft, that is their clear best chance at landing a gamebreaking talent. But again, the roster is too good to finish bottom 3, so the only chance is by winning a lotto in which theyll have like a 5% chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad