GDT: Around the League 2021-22 v17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Timing? They are looking at a few years in the tank. At that point Debrincat will be a UFA and will be around 27. Once the kids are starting to take over he'll be close to 30. They may think that it is best to get the assets now. Keep the cap space and then go whole hog in about 2025 to and do what they did whne Toews and Kane were young. It probably won't work but who knows.
You still need some good players that age, and if the rebuild takes that long, then you can move him for assets at that time if need be. At this point, he's only a few years older than the guys that have been selected or will be next year. You can't strip your team of everyone over 23. Forty goal scorers don't grow on trees, and you still need some veteran talent while you continue to grow, otherwise you wind up in a perpetual rebuild like the Oilers and Sabres.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You still need some good players that age, and if the rebuild takes that long, then you can move him for assets at that time if need be. At this point, he's only a few years older than the guys that have been selected or will be next year. You can't strip your team of everyone over 23. Forty goal scorers don't grow on trees, and you still need some veteran talent while you continue to grow, otherwise you wind up in a perpetual rebuild like the Oilers and Sabres.
I don't disagree. But it seems Chicago feels differently. That said their goal is clearly to tank completely. Debrincat can be a thorn in that plan. His presence would also prevent them from using that cap space at the deadline to collect even more assets which I am sure they will try to do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't disagree. But it seems Chicago feels differently. That said their goal is clearly to tank completely. Debrincat can be a thorn in that plan. His presence would also prevent them from using that cap space at the deadline to collect even more assets which I am sure they will try to do.
Sadly I don't see them collected enough assets to the point that they are going to replace Debrincat. Sure they might end up with a shit ton of decent quality guys. But I just don't know they will get that elite player

They are swinging for #1 overall next year and if they don't get it they are in massive trouble.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Sadly I don't see them collected enough assets to the point that they are going to replace Debrincat. Sure they might end up with a shit ton of decent quality guys. But I just don't know they will get that elite player

They are swinging for #1 overall next year and if they don't get it they are in massive trouble.
Once they are ready they can use the nearly $10M in cap space to jump into the UFA market. Chicago is an attractive city for UFA's and with Kane and Toews cap hits reduced or off the books Chicago could go nuts. It's a dangerous plan. But it seems to be what they are looking at.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If I was them and really wanted to tank properly, I would be unloading both the older Toews and Kane, and keep Debrincat.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If I was them and really wanted to tank properly, I would be unloading both the older Toews and Kane, and keep Debrincat.
Both have full NMC's. But I think the issue is that those contracts expire this year. Kane would have had value but they would have had to pay to move Toews even if he would have agreed. Moreover, they would have needed to qualify Debrincat with one year until he is a UFA or re-sign him long term next year. Both options would have given Debrincat all the cards and would have reduced his trade value if they wanted to move on.

Debrincat can score but he is not cheap at $9M. It is actually understandable that they saw a better opportunity to move on from him this year. As I said, it is an unusual move, but I think there are at least reasons for considering it. Don't be surprised if before 2024-25 Chicago goes whole hog on teh UFA front. Especially if they get a top pick because next year's group at the top end seem exceptional.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From last 6 drafts ( 2022 included) fLames have got 27 NHL games. That must be some kind of record low?
Seattle only has 10 NHL games:laugh:

Oddly enough I was curious what Vegas has done. There 1st year which was 6 years ago, they did pretty good. 7 guys already with GP combined for 614 games played

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Help me... I'm in the belly of the beast (Toronto) on Free Agency Day! Not sure I can survive a day of bleating Make Beliefers! lol. Thanks F-ing WestJet.

Well at least I'll get an unexpected Blue Jays game in tonight. Maybe there will be a Matt Murray saviour sighting at the game. ;)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
From last 6 drafts ( 2022 included) fLames have got 27 NHL games. That must be some kind of record low?

Their current crop of prospects from the last three drafts (that you wouldn't necessarily expect NHL games out of yet) isn't anything to get excited about either.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Help me... I'm in the belly of the beast (Toronto) on Free Agency Day! Not sure I can survive a day of bleating Make Beliefers! lol. Thanks F-ing WestJet.

Well at least I'll get an unexpected Blue Jays game in tonight. Maybe there will be a Matt Murray saviour sighting at the game. ;)

He'd probably blow his Achilles out throwing out the first pitch.

6mkw57.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This article is unintended comedy. I mean its Eric Francis. Read just as satire, see if you can stop laughing at all the Gaudreau "superstar" hyperbole.

Gaudreau elevated for basically one season, tried everything he could to be more marketable just to get out of dodge and on a contract year. Still struggled in playoffs, as always and lost 4 straight games to the Oil. Was invisible by end of series and crying on bench.

The only thing I'm sad about is I almost wish Calgary had to mortgage their future for a decade paying this guy 10.5M longterm. That would turn out to be massive overpay.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This article is unintended comedy. I mean its Eric Francis. Read just as satire, see if you can stop laughing at all the Gaudreau "superstar" hyperbole.

Gaudreau elevated for basically one season, tried everything he could to be more marketable just to get out of dodge and on a contract year. Still struggled in playoffs, as always and lost 4 straight games to the Oil. Was invisible by end of series and crying on bench.

The only thing I'm sad about is I almost wish Calgary had to mortgage their future for a decade paying this guy 10.5M longterm. That would turn out to be massive overpay.

My favorite part was his summary of such an amazing season this year that included a "magical" victory over the Stars...... then conveniently cut off without mention of what happened after.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My favorite part was his summary of such an amazing season this year that included a "dramatic" victory over the Stars...... then conveniently cut off without mention of what happened after.
Yeah. Flames weren't even good in the playoffs. They required a penalty shot and a 5 on 3 goal in same game just to get a result in one of the Dallas series games and won another in OT in a series that went all the way.

Without NHL game management Flames even lose that series to the WC opponent. Then they get waxed by the Oilers and allow even a reasonable goalie to get absolutely torched. With the excuse being that one fairly ordinary D was out injured. Of course for Flamers they would make it sound like they were missing a superstar D and if only....

Complete papertiger season by the Flames with expected playoff collapse. A nice ending to a pretty nothing Gaudreau chapter in the org. I wonder if Rogers still shines up this turd team all of next season or get back to reality. Will Flames even make playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah. Flames weren't even good in the playoffs. They required a penalty shot and a 5 on 3 goal in same game just to get a result in one of the Dallas series games and won another in OT in a series that went all the way.

Without NHL game management Flames even lose that series to the WC opponent. Then they get waxed by the Oilers and allow even a reasonable goalie to get absolutely torched. With the excuse being that one fairly ordinary D was out injured. Of course for Flamers they would make it sound like they were missing a superstar D and if only....

Complete papertiger season by the Flames with expected playoff collapse. A nice ending to a pretty nothing Gaudreau chapter in the org. I wonder if Rogers still shines up this turd team all of next season or get back to reality. Will Flames even make playoffs.

They're going to be really bad this year regardless of what happens now. Lindholm and Tkachuk aren't producing close to what they did last year without Gaudreau and that line was the only one that could score to begin with.

As you mentioned their defense is very overrated and the top pair of Andersson - Hanifin got pretty badly exposed in their series against us.

Now let's hope they go out and do something stupid because they think they can remain competitive. I think that they truly believe that they have a "deep" roster that can withstand this loss so I have a feeling they'll try and plug and pray here rather than do the logical thing and tear it down.

Their management and ownership know that their fans are inclined to hop straight off the wagon as soon as the team hits the tubes while they are trying to sting together an arena deal. They're stuck and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad