GDT: Around the League 2021-22 v17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I see two very solid two-way centers and an elite goaltender.

Who are they pulling in the '23 draft? What can they do with that cap space? It's possible to ice a competitive team that isn't being driven by elite star talent.

A team like Boston could fall off next year and suddenly Taylor Hall or Jake Debrusk might shake loose. Perhaps Toronto finally bites it and the big four suddenly isn't safe.

It's in a rebuilding team's best interest to at least have a solid core group to persuade players to play there.
As an Oiler fan, it will amuse and delight me if Calgary keeps most of their core. They will miss or be first round fodder for the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They do have a solid core and likely can be a playoff bubble team. But they are lacking top end talent needed and the depth really isnt great either

And building through free agency really never works either. You have to overpay big time for any impactful player. So cap space is good to have when you have the top end talent and need to build depth, but its less effective when you have some solid players, but need top end talent

Calgary lucked out big time with Gaudreau, and a bit with how good Tkachuk turned out to be. This type of luck is limited and its hard to seem them getting as lucky with the development of 1st round picks.

Losing JG and Tkachuk is like use losing McDavid and Draisaitl (who are a better duo, but in the same tier). We got incredibly lucky to get 97 with a 10.1% chance of winning the lotto, and were very lucky with how Draisaitl turned out.

If lost both of those guys, even if we got back a massive haul for one of them- its unlikely wed ever come close to replacing the impact they brought
I'm not suggesting that they'd be building through free agency. If you assume they'll eventually have to trade guys like Hanifin and Toffoli, you're assuming they're getting reasonably solid returns. They'll be in a position to reload key depth via the trade market.

There's no way to foresee the kind of impact their bluechip guys will have on their team early on. But there's a good chance they'll be getting prime opportunities to produce offense.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Montreal had Price playing at an elite level. The next year, he was out and they landed the #1 overall pick.

Ill give you Vegas, but they had really good depth

And very true on the 2023 draft, that is their clear best chance at landing a gamebreaking talent. But again, the roster is too good to finish bottom 3, so the only chance is by winning a lotto in which theyll have like a 5% chance
I think they'll be bottom two in the Pacific this year if Tkachuk is traded. If Markstrom gets hurt at any point, they'll be in freefall.

Throughout the season, I expect Toffoli to actively be shopped, which will be a pretty big distraction. That team just had the heart ripped out. It's hard to see them pulling out those 1-goal wins they were known for.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Anyone able to do a wellness check on the Calgary Puck forums?
Still pretty much this:

tumblr_mz59sxDCdC1s8rhj4o7_250.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Jesus Murphy.

TF is with these dudes.
Well, when Hockey Canada is outted for having a secret slush fund to pay off sexual assault/harassment/misconduct complainants to keep secrets a secret, that should tell you enough. Hockey bro-culture can be pretty vile.

There are some pretty big names on that '03 roster.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Panthers got bent I hate to say it but the flames won that trade
Debatable. This coming year, 100% Flames win but after that who knows. Do they re-sign? Do they trade them? Do they let them walk?

I said it once and I'll say it again, Calgary will drag on in mediocrity instead of bottoming out like they should. The next 5-10 years will be the flames as playoff bubble teams getting bounced in the first round.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Florida got utterly destroyed in that trade, just taken to the wood shed.

Instead of being patient and taking another kick at the cat zito totally panicked.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Debatable. This coming year, 100% Flames win but after that who knows. Do they re-sign? Do they trade them? Do they let them walk?

I said it once and I'll say it again, Calgary will drag on in mediocrity instead of bottoming out like they should. The next 5-10 years will be the flames as playoff bubble teams getting bounced in the first round.
I absolutely agree but in this moment the flames got way more value than anyone predicted but panthers were also in a position of weakness thanks to the cap

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I absolutely agree but in this moment the flames got way more value than anyone predicted but panthers were also in a position of weakness thanks to the cap
Oh god ya. I saw the main board thread pop up as I was leaving work tonight and I'm like oh he's going to Florida neat. By the time I got home everything was sorted and at first it was a shock but as I thought about it it comes with a big asterisk.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Tkachuk is a very good player, but this past season has everyone thinking he’s a Draisaitl tier player when in reality he’s more of a Scheifele tier.

Reactions: saucesaitl

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Florida got utterly destroyed in that trade, just taken to the wood shed.

Instead of being patient and taking another kick at the cat zito totally panicked.
This trade could actually be really good for the Flames if they decide to go full rebuild next spring. They can easily get a 1st+ for Huberdeau.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
FLA inhaling massive copium. Happy to dump hubby and weegar because they no showed in the playoffs. Guess it really is true that people out east don't stay up past 9pm to watch the games... Tkachuk sucked ass in the playoffs too.

Cant believe they have salary concerns about huberdeau but are okay paying him 9.5M....sure he's 6 years younger but he was on the best line in hockey.

CGY could probably turn this into 3 1sts if they don't sit on their hands and hope these guys resign next summer. Chiarot got a 1st, Weegar should too. Thats shocking amounts of value for a guy CGY only had for 1 more year and who wanted a contract most teams couldn't fit. Lmao. And they didn't even take back hornqvist...this seems like a Chiarelli desperation move. Even if tre messes the subsequent moves up this trade in a vacuum was a massive overpay.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
FLA inhaling massive copium. Happy to dump hubby and weegar because they no showed in the playoffs. Guess it really is true that people out east don't stay up past 9pm to watch the games... Tkachuk sucked ass in the playoffs too.

Cant believe they have salary concerns about huberdeau but are okay paying him 9.5M....sure he's 6 years younger but he was on the best line in hockey.

CGY could probably turn this into 3 1sts if they don't sit on their hands and hope these guys resign next summer. Chiarot got a 1st, Weegar should too. Thats shocking amounts of value for a guy CGY only had for 1 more year and who wanted a contract most teams couldn't fit. Lmao. And they didn't even take back hornqvist...this seems like a Chiarelli desperation move. Even if tre messes the subsequent moves up this trade in a vacuum was a massive overpay.

It’s initially a shocking value for the Flames but given that the two main pieces back are two other playoff no shows that are pending UFAs this isn’t a big win for the Flames. Treedipshit wins on paper but basically kicks the can down the road another year. Also assuming Gooberdeau and Weegar (I don’t even have to mock this hilarious name) are traded at the deadline is unlikely. Flames management and ownership are top tier delusional and will think they can do damage in the payoffs instead of failing miserably as usual.

Copium for the masses in need of a rebuild and a new arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad