Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
What's Florida's situation for expansion next year? It seems like they have so many quality players on that team.

They are in pretty great shape, actually. The only NMC is Yandle. They can protect Barkov, Trochek, Bjugstad, Smith, Huberdeau, Yandle, Ekblad, Demers, and then either two more forwards or one more defenseman. McCann and Matheson are exempt. They can meet exposure requirements by exposing Bolland and Sceviour upfront, and can probably leave Luongo exposed no problem.

Only kind of sticking point is that they don't have any other D under contract for 17-18 that they can expose, so will need to extend somebody like Kindl or Kampfer to expose them.

They don't really have anything to worry about.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
What's Florida's situation for expansion next year? It seems like they have so many quality players on that team.
Barkov, Trocheck, Bjugstad, Smith, and Huberdeau would all be protected. Jagr is a UFA and Crouse isn't eligible.

Things are more dicey on the back end. Crowded group. You would think Ekblad, Yandle, and Demers would exhaust there three protections, leaving Petrovik, Kampfer, or Pysyk in the wind.

They have a season to evaluate the group. Maybe they can make use of their extra forward protections to swing a trade.

Wonder what comes of Luongo.

Last edited:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
After the Sedins retire you'll wish he was Frans... Looking at the deal Detroit got Vanek to sign, I wish Benning had been more conservative with Aqua's money and done a show-me contract with him. in fact, the only good deals Benning has signed to date were all show-me kinds. I think we should trade Benning to Missouri, if possible.
Nobody good is going to sign a show-me contract in Vancouver when the team is lousy and the coach is incompetent. That's one of the luxuries of being the Detroit Red Wings -- making the playoffs for a quarter century straight lets them take on talented reclamation projects on cheap deals.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Mason Raymond was bought out by the Flames. Mason Raymond was looking for a job in the NHL. Mason Raymond will be speeding down the wing and putting shots into the goaltenders chest for the Ducks next year for 675k. I wish Mason Raymond good luck with the Ducks and look forward to hearing his full name announced every time he touches the puck for yet another year.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Mason Raymond was bought out by the Flames. Mason Raymond was looking for a job in the NHL. Mason Raymond will be speeding down the wing and putting shots into the goaltenders chest for the Ducks next year for 675k. I wish Mason Raymond good luck with the Ducks and look forward to hearing his full name announced every time he touches the puck for yet another year.

You forgot the part where he falls down.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Sunk cost fallacy alive and well.

No, it was just a terrible move. Giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy who was pretty much out of the league within a year is awful asset management no matter how you slice it.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Sunk cost fallacy alive and well.

I have no issue with not retaining Vey - but it was obvious from the onset that Vey was not worth a 2nd round pick in the first place.

I suppose what I should have said, 'obvious bad move 2 years ago has finally been realized by management too.'

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Another example of great asset management by JB.

They spent a 2nd round pick on him, tried to give him a chance(lots I would say) and he didn't make it. Cut loses....explain to me where this is wrong? I guess you could say he wasn't worth a 2nd...but if he turned out, then he would have been.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I have no issue with not retaining Vey - but it was obvious from the onset that Vey was not worth a 2nd round pick in the first place.

I suppose what I should have said, 'obvious bad move 2 years ago has finally been realized by management too.'

wasnt this their like first move.

the way u value 2nds gillis should have been gone in 2009

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Very impressed with the Panthers org.

Trade off Gudbranson and a 5th for McCann a 33rd overall pick and a 4th...

Trade a 6th and a cond 4th for rights to Yandle.

Trade the 33rd overall with Kulikov for Pysyk, 38th and 89th...

Took Adam Mascherin @ 38... took Linus Nassen @ 89.

Signed Demers and Reimer.

Traded:
Gudbranson, Kulikov, 4th (2017), 5th (2016), 6th (2016)

Received:
McCann, Pysyk, Yandle 2nd (2016), 3rd (2016)

+ Signed Demers

That's how you stay a winning org.

The guy who built it was demoted. If they improve this year it is young guys improving not these moves which when you include the loss of Campbell is pretty neutral. You could just say you love analytics so whatever they do they are golden in your eyes. We will see.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Their first move in a string of perpetually bad moves. It really set the tone of the types of trade this management group was going to make (i.e. bad).

I dunno, Vey provided more to us than Mallet or Sauve or Ellington or almost every other 2nd rounder has ever provided us. Don't act like this wasn't worth the risk, because it was. A PPG AHL player is worth the potential (boom or bust) of a 2nd round pick in my opinion. Going back 20 years, only 3 - 2nd round picks by the Canucks have got more points than Vey did.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Re: Vey

A risk that didn't pan out but what do you expect when you go dumpster diving. And we DID get 116 games and 39 points out of him so that's not bad all things considering.

I can't fault Vey for his effort level and it's not exactly his fault that management wrongly thought he was an NHLer.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I dunno, Vey provided more to us than Mallet or Sauve or Ellington or almost every other 2nd rounder has ever provided us. Don't act like this wasn't worth the risk, because it was. A PPG AHL player is worth the potential (boom or bust) of a 2nd round pick in my opinion. Going back 20 years, only 3 - 2nd round picks by the Canucks have got more points than Vey did.

Just cause the canucks have not historically trafted well does not mean that a 2nd does not hold value, or that it was a bad trade. I never minded trying to get Vey, but when you look around the league we way over paid for a guy who was about to be waiver eligible.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Yeah I don't have a problem with the gamble (which is what 2nd round picks are). Not all picks are going be home runs, triples, double, or even singles.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Re: Vey

A risk that didn't pan out but what do you expect when you go dumpster diving. And we DID get 116 games and 39 points out of him so that's not bad all things considering.

I can't fault Vey for his effort level and it's not exactly his fault that management wrongly thought he was an NHLer.

There were literally dozens of guys we could have signed out of Europe/AHL who could have done the same thing without giving up a #2 pick.

It was a terrible trade and terrible pro scouting target.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

How is this argument not dead yet?

Most of our first rounders haven't turned out either but that doesn't mean we should trade one for waiver bait. This reasoning is demonstrably specious.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Throwing away picks is not a smart strategy. Arguing against that is asinine. A couple of 2nds could be the difference between adding gudbransonand granlund or adding larsson and landeskog 6 months later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad