Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Eddie Lack isn't in that tier of goalies and I'm sure other GM's knew it. If this past season was any indication, he's regressing back to a mediocre back-up. JB made out like a bandit when he got a 3rd for him.

This isn't the thread for that, but there's been countless reasons stated why Lack may have had a poor start this year.

Reimer was traded for a 2018 4th so no. Andersen, Jones and Talbot are much better than Lack. I still feel Benning could have done a better job but what he got for him is pretty fair.

Reimer (and Jeremy Morin) were traded for Alex Stalock (who is a decent backup and probably not a huge downgrade on Reimer) and Ben Smith who is a serviceable NHL player. Not really unlike a player like Emerson Etem from what I can gather. Given that Reimer straight up asked to be moved, that's a better return than a third.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
thing is, i trust toronto's pro scouting. i mean, i have no idea who their pro scouts are but lou lamoriello is in charge and i have no doubt he has installed and/or retained excellent people. during his time in new jersey, they were probably the best drafting team in the league and won many many trades. and while i never watched andersen and thought "that guy is going to be a franchise goalie someday," i have been impressed by him at many points and maybe there is that special something in him that i haven't seen.

and that's all to put a lot of faith in lou, but the man's track record speaks for itself. he had FIVE highly touted young goalies in new jersey: sean burke, who as a rookie took the devils to the third round and everyone thought he was going to be ken dryden; chris terreri, who was a star in college and got fringe vezina votes in two of his first three years in the NHL; craig billington, a 23rd overall pick who was a star in juniors, star at the WJC, and star in the minors; and mike dunham, star in college, star in the AHL. and from that group he kept marty brodeur and chucked the rest because lou lamoriello knows what he's doing.

so if lou lamoriello wants to seemingly overpay fredrik andersen and give him what looks like too many years, well my money is betting that in a year or two that deal will be a huge steal and everyone will be jealous that he has him locked up for so long.

i mean, it's not like benning trading for some random guy and then giving him crazy money and crazy years. lou's last two goalies were marty brodeur and cory schneider.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
At this moment, Anderson is better than Gibson.

It was a good trade for him but a poor contract. Having said that, Talbot is gettting $4.2M. I think that's what Anderson should have gotten, or a bit less at $3.5M.

No way he was going to get less than $3M.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Not too sure how I feel about that Leafs trade. I think Andersen is a pretty good goalie and he's still fairly young at 26 but they paid a pretty big price in draft picks assuming that next year's pick is in the low 30's. I would have just rolled with Bernier for another year and tried to find a cheaper option. Not a fan of shelling out assets and term for goalies unless they are a sure thing.

Knowing the Ducks' drafting they will find a stud with both of those picks.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not too sure how I feel about that Leafs trade. I think Andersen is a pretty good goalie and he's still fairly young at 26 but they paid a pretty big price in draft picks assuming that next year's pick is in the low 30's. I would have just rolled with Bernier for another year and tried to find a cheaper option. Not a fan of shelling out assets and term for goalies unless they are a sure thing.

Knowing the Ducks' drafting they will find a stud with both of those picks.

It might be the fact that the possibility of landing Matthews made the Leafs think they can accelerate their rebuild?

Andersen is a good goalie, but yeah I agree the price is kinda steep for the Leafs - though not unacceptable.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
thing is, i trust toronto's pro scouting. i mean, i have no idea who their pro scouts are but lou lamoriello is in charge and i have no doubt he has installed and/or retained excellent people. during his time in new jersey, they were probably the best drafting team in the league and won many many trades. and while i never watched andersen and thought "that guy is going to be a franchise goalie someday," i have been impressed by him at many points and maybe there is that special something in him that i haven't seen.

and that's all to put a lot of faith in lou, but the man's track record speaks for itself. he had FIVE highly touted young goalies in new jersey: sean burke, who as a rookie took the devils to the third round and everyone thought he was going to be ken dryden; chris terreri, who was a star in college and got fringe vezina votes in two of his first three years in the NHL; craig billington, a 23rd overall pick who was a star in juniors, star at the WJC, and star in the minors; and mike dunham, star in college, star in the AHL. and from that group he kept marty brodeur and chucked the rest because lou lamoriello knows what he's doing.

so if lou lamoriello wants to seemingly overpay fredrik andersen and give him what looks like too many years, well my money is betting that in a year or two that deal will be a huge steal and everyone will be jealous that he has him locked up for so long.

i mean, it's not like benning trading for some random guy and then giving him crazy money and crazy years. lou's last two goalies were marty brodeur and cory schneider.

those halcyon days where everything Conte touches turns into gold kinda went away in early 2000s... Brodeur just kept winning 35+ games year in year out, and everyone knows the value of Schneider when the trade happened. Anderson never beat out Gibson and has only proven to be a great tandem goalie so far. He's Better than Fasth, but not a sure thing to be awarded a 5x5 right away thats for sure. first and second is still a fairly steep price to pay for a goalie in this expansion climate, not sure Calgary will pay more than that.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It's not that expensive. The 1st is effectively a 2nd. The other 2nd is not much more than the 3rd+7th, and that premium had to be paid since Anderson is the only one other than Lack who had actually played 40+ games in a season.

Of Talbot, Jones, and Lehner, none had played more than 36 games in a season. Talbot cost 2nd+3rd+7th. Jones cost the 29th. Lehner cost the 21st but he was traded with Legwand.

The contract is egregious.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Andersen has always been prone to letting in softies. Was inconsistent in his time in Anaheim and the Ducks clearly aren't confident in him as a starting goalie.

The fact they found someone dumb enough to give up so much is prob a warning sign of the Leafs management being as sharp as their fans and media would want you to believe

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Andersen has always been prone to letting in softies. Was inconsistent in his time in Anaheim and the Ducks clearly aren't confident in him as a starting goalie.

The fact they found someone dumb enough to give up so much is prob a warning sign of the Leafs management being as sharp as their fans and media would want you to believe

Fully agree with this. If I am a Toronto fan, I'd be disappointed at giving up a 1st and a 2nd for this guy, then committing to him for 5 years. Not a fan.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
and we have 5 times the prospects already in the nhl

who are exceptionally worse than their prospects, heck if benning wanted to he could have drafted me and played me last year. just because young players are in the nhl doesn't mean they're good ones.

if I'm Toronto I wouldn't trade Matthews for all the rookies that player a game on our team last year, wouldn't even consider it.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
who are exceptionally worse than their prospects, heck if benning wanted to he could have drafted me and played me last year. just because young players are in the nhl doesn't mean they're good ones.

if I'm Toronto I wouldn't trade Matthews for all the rookies that player a game on our team last year, wouldn't even consider it.

good thing matthews is one player

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Gibson so far has proven to be overrated. Andersen had the worst goal support in the league this past year.

The contract is probably too long which is the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad