Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

r3sXRgn.gif

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The sooner he is gone, the better. A couple of decent moves amidst a series of questionable decisions. If he is indeed gone after the season, then he'll be leaving it in shambles.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Can't do much when your team is decimated by injury and your two stars' scoring dries up.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The article says Rutherford mismanaging the cap was his biggest failing. Don't they have a "cap guy" that was there first or is that what Jason Karmanos does (and sucks at)?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Other than bringing in Ehrhoff and Perron, how much of the Pens current cap situation can really be put at the current administrations' feet? I mean Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, Letang, Martin, Kunitz, Sutter, and Dupuis were already under contract and take up most of the cap.

Not defending JR as a GM, as I think he's shown he is not very good and should probably be fired, but blaming him for the cap, when it was really due to injuries to key guys seems like a bit of a stretch.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Botterill (the supposed "GM in waiting") was supposedly the cap guru. Didn't turn out to be, I guess...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The article says Rutherford mismanaging the cap was his biggest failing. Don't they have a "cap guy" that was there first or is that what Jason Karmanos does (and sucks at)?

The cap projection is usually Jason Botterill's job. Karmonos deals with analytics, whatever that involves.

Other than bringing in Ehrhoff and Perron, how much of the Pens current cap situation can really be put at the current administrations' feet? I mean Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, Letang, Martin, Kunitz, Sutter, and Dupuis were already under contract and take up most of the cap.

Not defending JR as a GM, as I think he's shown he is not very good and should probably be fired, but blaming him for the cap, when it was really due to injuries to key guys seems like a bit of a stretch.

But why make moves if that is the case? Because either management didn't realize the cap situation (I refuse to believe that) or saw it and made moves anyway (not out of the question).

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

The sooner he is gone, the better. A couple of decent moves amidst a series of questionable decisions. If he is indeed gone after the season, then he'll be leaving it in shambles.

we warned u

Please, please, please, somebody reassure me there will be no role with the Hurricanes awaiting JR's dismissal from Pittsburgh.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The cap projection is usually Jason Botterill's job. Karmonos deals with analytics, whatever that involves.

But why make moves if that is the case? Because either management didn't realize the cap situation (I refuse to believe that) or saw it and made moves anyway (not out of the question).

Maybe, but my understanding is that their cap issue was really an injury issue (I could be wrong here). Pens wouldn't be the first team to be right up against the cap after the deadline. Losing Letang, Maata, Ehrhoff, etc.. was the real issue, no?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think JR is a good GM, regardless.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Please, please, please, somebody reassure me there will be no role with the Hurricanes awaiting JR's dismissal from Pittsburgh.

Canes are pleased to announce their new VP of youth development. JR will scour the league for old, declining veterans to acquire for the low, low price of 1st round picks and top prospects.

Let's face it. We need veterans who can help us lose now. If that costs us down the line then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad