Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Tavares’ play has sunk like a ship since the new year.

Last 25 games:

9 goals
6 assists
15 points

Before the new year: 1.25 ppg
After the new year (last 25 games): 0.60 ppg

Yikes.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

I, for one, will be excited to have a team close by. Calgary is currently the closest and it's about a 10 hour drive with clear roads. So in the winter, at least 14. No direct flights either. It's honestly easier to catch a plane to Vegas or Phoenix.

Seattle, however, is an hour's flight away, with hourly round trips available. Jump on the train and be at the arena in now time.

I'll be there in Union blue, for the first game. No doubt.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was more focused on second tweet. That teams say "****, no picks/deals for ya, take who you want and get out of here!"
Well had we not had Clarkson to deal with and 3 players to worry about it shouldn't be such a big deal. This time Jarmo should be able to plan it out a little better (hopefully)

Reactions: Sore Loser

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I was saying this to a buddy of mine (Pens fan, I know), when they traded Cole.

They have enough firepower for two teams, but aside from Letang and Maatta, they don't have capable defensemen. They will get good play in stretches, but against a talented team in all three zones (Tampa or Boston), they could be picked apart in a hurry.

Maatta is pretty overrated imo. I think outside of Letang and Schultz, their D is pretty weak. But as long as they have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Brassard upfront, they'll be fine. Especially if they play Washington in the first round :laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was saying this to a buddy of mine (Pens fan, I know), when they traded Cole.

They have enough firepower for two teams, but aside from Letang and Maatta, they don't have capable defensemen. They will get good play in stretches, but against a talented team in all three zones (Tampa or Boston), they could be picked apart in a hurry.
Letang has been utterly atrocious this year. But Dumoulin is still pretty good.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Letang has been utterly atrocious this year. But Dumoulin is still pretty good.
There was an article in Pens gazette, why Sullivan and Cole maybe butt heads.

I find this interesting now because where Cole was traded: to the Columbus Blue Jackets, coached by one of Sullivan’s best friends in John Tortorella.
Sullivan and Tortorella are strong personalities. Cole, too.
But if you asked me which one I thought Cole meshed with better, I’d say Torts, and here’s why.
One, if you’ve never read Craig Custance’s book “Behind the Bench: Inside the Minds of Hockey's Greatest Coaches,” I can’t recommend it enough. It’s great.
In the book, there’s a chapter dedicated to Sullivan and Tortorella — Craig watched Game 6 of the 2016 Stanley Cup final with both men during Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey training camp in Columbus in 2016 — and it provides some really neat insights on both men.
The part on Tortorella describes him as a coach who almost wants pushback from players, even if sometimes it gets nasty. Sullivan has plenty of candid conversations with players, too, but Cole’s personality — never shy about expressing his opinions — likely fits better with Tortorella than Sullivan, whose players are generally more of the fall-in-line type.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I said they were respectable defensemen, not ideal...

Letang is a strong #2, Maattaa is a good #3/4...

Personally I think Schultz is horribly overrated and I wouldn't want him on my blueline. I put him on a level with Connauton. They can move the puck and produce in droves, but defensively? Woof...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This may be a bit of a stretch, but if Murray's concussion is a bad one, Pittsburgh may be in trouble. If they are stuck with de Smith in net down the stretch, they aren't good enough defensively to make up for that. I am not sure if more than 2 defensemen on their team would dress for Columbus and if they have to score 4 or 5 goals a night, they may really struggle.

de Smith just gave up two softies in one minute against Boston.

And the Flyers are down early.

Good start.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
There was an article in Pens gazette, why Sullivan and Cole maybe butt heads.

I find this interesting now because where Cole was traded: to the Columbus Blue Jackets, coached by one of Sullivan’s best friends in John Tortorella.
Sullivan and Tortorella are strong personalities. Cole, too.
But if you asked me which one I thought Cole meshed with better, I’d say Torts, and here’s why.
One, if you’ve never read Craig Custance’s book “Behind the Bench: Inside the Minds of Hockey's Greatest Coaches,” I can’t recommend it enough. It’s great.
In the book, there’s a chapter dedicated to Sullivan and Tortorella — Craig watched Game 6 of the 2016 Stanley Cup final with both men during Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey training camp in Columbus in 2016 — and it provides some really neat insights on both men.
The part on Tortorella describes him as a coach who almost wants pushback from players, even if sometimes it gets nasty. Sullivan has plenty of candid conversations with players, too, but Cole’s personality — never shy about expressing his opinions — likely fits better with Tortorella than Sullivan, whose players are generally more of the fall-in-line type.
Thanks for the book recommendation. Put it on kindle today and can't put it down.:thumbu:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
@Sore Loser

Unreal response to Seattle NHL team!!!!

Seattle 'shell-shocked' at ticket drive response
"Shell-shocked is best way to put it," Leiweke told TSN about the amount of deposits. "We sold 10,000 season tickets in 12 minutes and we're just short of 25,000 so I guess the fans have spoken. The fans in Seattle have made it a resounding vote which is they are ready for the National Hockey League. They are counting on us to bring the NHL here."

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Sheenan was telegraphing that slap shot, and yet Rask stays low... 8 goals in 1 period, who bet on under? :)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I said they were respectable defensemen, not ideal...

Letang is a strong #2, Maattaa is a good #3/4...

Personally I think Schultz is horribly overrated and I wouldn't want him on my blueline. I put him on a level with Connauton. They can move the puck and produce in droves, but defensively? Woof...

Quoting this, though I won't say I told you so ..

:sarcasm:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Florida now up 3-1 over NJ with about 3 minutes left. With Luongo back, they are definitely a WC contender. Maybe 5,000 showed up to watch this rising team in the deadest of hockey markets.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Eh, with Florida beating NJ and Murray being injured, it's not impossible for the jackets to catch up with both NJ or if extremely lucky, Pittsburgh.

Just wouldn't hold my breath.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Agreed, they should be looking who's in front of them. Not who's behind.
If you think of it in "defensive driving" terms, you should be aware of both. It's easier to get passed than to catch up, however. Teams ahead can maintain their distance if they keep up the same "speed". We have been playing roughly a .5 clip, teams can pass us with a streak. Teams ahead can play .5 or less and still be ahead for a time.

I'm not convinced the team will break out of the wildcard spots. Too much drag with special teams.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad