Around Hockey XVII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
OK, this is quite an emotional issue, but I saw nothing in the article as to why the current owners are selling. Is the facility losing money? Is there not enough demand for the facility? Let's cut through the emotions and get to reality.

If the area can support more sheets of ice, and it is profitable, then someone will jump in and construct new facilities. If not, then they will have to go with what the market can bear.

I am not trying to be cold blooded here, but money talks and BS walks. If the Nashville market can support more sheets of ice, then they will be built, just as they were built here in Columbus. Emotions don't keep businesses going.
I couldn't find anything on why the owners are selling. Figured on a letter writing campaign mostly because apparently it's not the only possible option for an entrance into the Nashville market for Al. Neyer, and I'd want to encourage them to look elsewhere.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
CMI136tXAAACN3V.jpg:large

GM Jarmo Kekäläinen's former team Jokerit doing their annual marketing drive. Helsinki Central trainway station.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
CMI136tXAAACN3V.jpg:large

GM Jarmo Kekäläinen's former team Jokerit doing their annual marketing drive. Helsinki Central trainway station.

Holy ****, can we get their marketing team? That was sick. We also really need those leds in the glass spacers. Those would be ****ing awesome to go off in sync with the cannon..

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Holy ****, can we get their marketing team?

Jokerit has got some aid from 'neighboring' rivals SKA St. Petersburg, owned by the same Rotenberg family that basically bought (or bought into) KHL-Jokerit and have since financed them heavily.

The Russian-Finnish billionaire family is also close to Russian president Vladimir Putin as their father shared a hobby with him in judo. Another of the sons plays football in another family club, Dinamo Moscow and recently debuted for Finnish national team. Another, businessman works with SKA St. Petersburg especially.

They are also building Teemu Selänne academy near Selänne's summer cottage (or haven) in Kirkkonummi - to especially train goalscorers, something that Selänne himself felt needed. The ice hall will be shaped like the number 8...

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I saw this earlier also. The case being built against him does not look good for him ... I'm honestly surprised the league hasn't suspended him yet, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Seeing as how this is the off-season, they have time to worry about a suspension. I will admit, I know nothing about this case. You say the case against him looks bad. Is this a "he says, she says" thing, or is there more?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm honestly surprised the league hasn't suspended him yet, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Have charges even been filed? I don't see anything actionable by the team or the league yet; then again I haven't looked the last two weeks. There certainly wasn't anything in the Facebook exchange.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Seeing as how this is the off-season, they have time to worry about a suspension. I will admit, I know nothing about this case. You say the case against him looks bad. Is this a "he says, she says" thing, or is there more?

I won't admit to knowing a ton about it because I don't, but I do know a few things that I'm pretty sure aren't public knowledge yet. And since I'm hearing these from other sources, I'd prefer not to put them out there ... it's hearsay and isn't the right thing to do. Granted, the sources I'm hearing these from are dependable. Just know that what I've heard looks pretty bad on Patrick Kane.

Can't suspend him until charges are filed I believe.

This could be correct, but with recent events in professional and collegiate sports, the proper thing seems to be erring on the side of caution.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Can't suspend him until charges are filed I believe.

They could, but it wouldn't serve any purpose. No sense in the league taking an actual stand on something like this during the offseason when training camp is still a full month off.

I'd expect to see something as that day gets close.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Let's pray that the case is settled out of the court.

Possibly. Just went and googled the case.

Pretty much is a "he says, she says" case. Something other pro sports players have gone through. To me this is going to come down to who do you believe. The woman apparently had bite marks on her shoulder and a scratch on her leg. So, Kane could argue they had consensual rough sex. Some people are into that.

These type cases are always tough. Is this another privileged athlete who thinks he can take what he wants, whenever he wants, or a woman seeking financial gain by claiming she was raped after setting-up Kane.

I guess time will tell.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Let's pray that the case is settled out of the court.

If he's guilty; that is the last thing anyone should want. Frankly I don't care about him one way or another. It doesn't matter to me who he is.

If she's trying for money I would like her in jail. If he's guilty, I want the book thrown at him.

If there really want sexual assault, I don't know why anyone would want it settled out of court. That would be a real ******* walking the streets and I wouldn't want another women subjected to the likes of him.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
If he's guilty; that is the last thing anyone should want. Frankly I don't care about him one way or another. It doesn't matter to me who he is.

If she's trying for money I would like her in jail. If he's guilty, I want the book thrown at him.

If there really want sexual assault, I don't know why anyone would want it settled out of court. That would be a real ******* walking the streets and I wouldn't want another women subjected to the likes of him.

I hear ya, blah, and I think most people would agree. But we have seen this movie before. Woman claims rape, athlete or politician, or other rich personality denies, and then they settle out of court.

It's always for an undisclosed sum of money, and everyone signs an agreement barring both parties from talking about the settlement.

States can file charges on behalf of minors, but in the case of consenting adults, there is nothing they can do if the parties agree to something out of court.

At least that is my understanding.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
States can file charges on behalf of minors, but in the case of consenting adults, there is nothing they can do if the parties agree to something out of court.

I'm talking about people, like the above, wanting it settled out of court; not what is the societal norm. For the record you don't always have to have someone press charges for the state to seek a criminal case if there is other evidence outside of victim testimony. It's much more difficult and rare.

I fully understand the realities of the situation.

For the record it happens outside of your scenarios for a variety of reasons and it's truly sad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

"Want"? Not necessarily. Accept because of a lack of strength to keep fighting that fight? Potentially more plausible IMO, albeit entirely speculative.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
"Want"? Not necessarily. Accept because of a lack of strength to keep fighting that fight? Potentially more plausible IMO, albeit entirely speculative.

Let's pray to the god of date raping that wasn't the case this time...

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I'm talking about people, like the above, wanting it settled out of court; not what is the societal norm. For the record you don't always have to have someone press charges for the state to seek a criminal case if there is other evidence outside of victim testimony. It's much more difficult and rare.

I fully understand the realities of the situation.

For the record it happens outside of your scenarios for a variety of reasons and it's truly sad.

I am not sure what this is about, since I thought we were talking specifically about the scenarios of pro athletes that are accused of rape where the entire case is a "he said, she said", and how they are potentially resolved. Either through the court system, or outside the court system.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I am not sure what this is about, since I thought we were talking specifically about the scenarios of pro athletes that are accused of rape where the entire case is a "he said, she said", and how they are potentially resolved. Either through the court system, or outside the court system.

A lot of what you said in your post wasn't confined to that specificity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad