Salary Cap: Armchair Jets GM

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd rather move Myers than Perreault at this time. Lemieux has a lot to prove and it's not like we don't have suitable replacements for Myers. Especially on the PP.
Agree about Mason though but Chevy just publicly stated they won't buy him out.
Don't see the Jets moving Perreault next season, but if they plan to re-sign Wheeler I think they'll need to move both Myers and Perreault before 2019.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I'd rather move Myers than Perreault at this time. Lemieux has a lot to prove and it's not like we don't have suitable replacements for Myers. Especially on the PP.
Agree about Mason though but Chevy just publicly stated they won't buy him out.
realistically, WPG doesnt have to move anyone this year....and Id be very hesitant to say they have a proven replacement for him, specifically when it comes to his size, reach, and defensive ability.

Stastny would likely be the only significant cap casualty. That said, getting rid of Perreault seems of paramount importance before 2019 when Wheeler/Laine/Connor would be looking for new deals

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Add Perreault and receive a suitable add from the Pens, maybe. Jets would need to retain salary, or maybe facilitate a trade (Kessel?) like Vegas did to give the Pens some cap relief.

Or maybe add a prospect/young player like Dano or Petan. Worthwhile to the Pens but not missed too much by the Jets.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
realistically, WPG doesnt have to move anyone this year....and Id be very hesitant to say they have a proven replacement for him, specifically when it comes to his size, reach, and defensive ability.

Stastny would likely be the only significant cap casualty. That said, getting rid of Perreault seems of paramount importance before 2019 when Wheeler/Laine/Connor would be looking for new deals

It all depends on how much the cap goes up and what we are looking at for raises for our 3 big pieces of Trouba, Morrissey and Hellebuyck. There is some depth that is a bit of a wildcard as well. I'd rather move out Mason than anyone to save some money if need be but apparently the Jets aren't to keen on that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Myers is a UFA after the 2018 season so that issue solves itself

I'd rather receive assets for the future then carry him into the playoffs again and get nothing when he walks. We can win without Myers. Having him out opens up room for younger players to grow and also opens up our 2PP for Morrissey or Trouba who I think will be much better there.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
It all depends on how much the cap goes up and what we are looking at for raises for our 3 big pieces of Trouba, Morrissey and Hellebuyck. There is some depth that is a bit of a wildcard as well. I'd rather move out Mason than anyone to save some money if need be but apparently the Jets aren't to keen on that.
Well the rumor for 2018 was a 3-5m increase. I would venture to guess 2019's increase would be fairly minimal. For the 3 you mentioned, ~15-16m sounds about right

I'd rather receive assets for the future then carry him into the playoffs again and get nothing when he walks. We can win without Myers. Having him out opens up room for younger players to grow and also opens up our 2PP for Morrissey or Trouba who I think will be much better there.
Which is why I mentioned exploring that option at the deadline. They can still give Trouba PP time

Reactions: Oseductive

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't see the Jets moving Perreault next season, but if they plan to re-sign Wheeler I think they'll need to move both Myers and Perreault before 2019.

Yeah one of Perreault or Little will need to go by then. Likely Perreault but you never know.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrow played the final elimination game over Chiarot. I think Maurice finally realized that his lack of mobility and puck sense was a liability in today's NHL.

I think Poolman is going to win a spot out of training camp.

He also benched Toby. I think he was getting a little desperate for offence.

Morrow may still have upside that could see him climb over Chiarot. When/if that happens it is time to trade Chiarot. Meantime I think Niku is about 50/50 to be ahead of both by the end of TC.

I think we have plenty of 3/4 LD without moving Poolman over. He starts if another RHD is gone, one way or another.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You have 14 F's, 9 D and 3 goalies = 26 on the roster. Why? You have signed 3 UFAs to get there.

Assuming we needed that many players why would we sign any UFA F's with the system depth we have at F?

One word: Injuries.

I based the number of contracts from the 2017-18 season. It's not realistic to sign just 12 forwards, 7 D-men, and 2 goalies. If we have several injuries, we would not have enough depth to compensate.

In 2017-18, we had 17 forwards, 9 defensemen, and 3 goalies under contract. Even if you exclude Stastny and Morrow, that is still 27 players signed.

I just went back and tweaked my roster slightly, and added Appleton, as I am betting he will make the roster at some point, even if he sits in the PB. So I have 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies under contract. I could include someone like Appleton (along with Vesalainen and Lemieux) on the payroll, as I am betting on then being called up, and making the team either at the start of the season or midway through (just like Connor and Roslovic last year).

I deleted the #$1,000,000 UFA goalie, and replaced him with Mason ($4,100,000). I don't see us moving Mason, especially with his cap hit. He only has one year to go, until he becomes an UFA, and if he bounces back next season, he can reduce the work load on Hellebuyck considerably.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well the rumor for 2018 was a 3-5m increase. I would venture to guess 2019's increase would be fairly minimal. For the 3 you mentioned, ~15-16m sounds about right

I'm thinking closer to 18 if we sign them all long term. Which we should.

Trouba - 6.5
Helle - 6
Morrissey - 5.5

With the cap going up expect the average value of contracts to increase by about $500,000-1,000,000 as well. We already saw it with Kane's deal. And we will likely see it with all deals going forward. His extension will only be 8.75% of a likely $80mil cap. Which is comparable to about$ 6.5-6.75 mil with a $75mil cap.

It seems not many people have settled into this new reality yet. Cap goes up = salaries go up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you have these backwards. Loved Helly's step forward this year, but he hasn't put himself in a spot to have the 3rd highest cap hit among all goalies, especially still being an RFA. More likely a 3-4 year deal at around $4.5 M. At that point if he has put together a string of years where he is among the best in the league and can hit the open market, you pay him top dollar.

For Laine, if the Jets low balled him like that someone would offer sheet him and we would then pay through the nose or lose him.

You make some good points about Helle but I think you are low. 5 is min and it could go to 6. I've used 5.5.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed but there is a little bit more revenue involved with the NHL compared to the Comedy Football League . :laugh:

Unnecessary gratuitous dig at a great league that you probably know little about.

Of course there is no comparison between salaries or revenues.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've worked over tons of different scenarios on Cap Friendly's arm chair GM feature.

There really isn't one where keeping Stastny long term works out to well for us. It also may be a bit premature to move Perreault.

My best case scenario was this.

Salary Cap is $80,000,000

Trades
Tyler Myers to Toronto for 25th overall + Andrew Nielsen
-Big savings on the cap and gets us back into the 1st round of the draft. Nielsen is a bit of a long shot but gives us someone on the Moose depth chart.

Buyout
Steve Mason - will cost us $1,366,667 for 18/19 and 19/20. Saves us $2,733,333 in the short term. Costs us the original amount in the following year but we can handle that.

Signings
Jacob Trouba - $6,500,000 x 8 years - Modified NTC (14 team no trade list)
- long term deal locked up as our 1RD for the next 8 years.

Josh Morrissey - $4,500,000 x 3 years
-bridge contract takes him to one year before UFA. Gives us some short term saving but could bite us down the road

Connor Hellebuyck - $6,000,000 x 7 years Modified NTC (10 team no trade list)
-After a Vezina calibre season Helle will be looking to get paid. We'd be wise to get him at 7 or more.

Anton Khudobin - $1,750,000 x 1 years
- Khudobin had a really solid season as a back up, has proven he can be an NHL backup and can be had for cheap. Give him a year and see how it plays out.

Adam Lowry - $2,500,000 x 4 years
Joel Armia - $1,125,000 x 2 years
Eric Comrie - $950,000 x 2 years
Kristian Vesalainen - $950,000 x 3 years (ELC)
Marko Dano - $892,500 x 1 year (QO)
Nic Petan - $874,125 x 1 year (QO)
Tuck Poolman - $874,125 x 1 year (QO)
Skyler McKenzie - $850,000 x 3 years (ELC)
Jordan Stallard - $850,000 x 3 years (ELC)
J.C Lipon - $715,000 x 1 year (QO)
Jamie Phillips - $715,000 x 1 year (QO)
Joe Morrow - $715,000 x 1 year (QO)
Chase De Leo - $708,750 x 1 year (QO)

This gives us $6,575,085 in cap space to play with heading into the season. We will likely have to find out what to do with Petan/Dano/Morrow/Poolman/Chiarot as some could be waiver wire pickups.

This also gives us $20,364,168 heading into the 18/19 season. Where we have to get deals done with Laine, Connor, Wheeler. It's not going to be easy but this is likely where we look at moving Perreault out to keep Wheeler as he gets a slight raise.

Moving Perreault out gives us $24,489,168 in 19/20.

Laine - $9,500,000 x 8 years
Connor - $6,000,000 x 7 years
Wheeler - $6,000,000 x 3 years
= $21,500,000

Which leaves us with $2,989,168 in cap space heading into 19/20.

Mostly like this, except I see no need to buyout Mason. We can handle his contract for this year. Of course his health is an issue. We don't know the medical information. If he can't play then put him on LTIR for 1 year. We would be hard pressed to absorb the 2nd year of the buyout.

Khudobin might be a good backup but he would likely get the same 1.2 mil he got this year. Maybe a small raise to 1.3.

I'm OK with your Myers trade. A lot of posters seem to think we should get more than that. He is coming of a bounce back season so maybe they are right. Nielsen is promising enough. But I would like it a lot better if we could make up a package to get 10OA from Chiarelli.

Edit: Forgot Morrissey. 4.5 is too much for a bridge deal. That is getting close to what he would get long term. And I wouldn't bridge him for 3 years. That gets too close to UFA for comfort. Give him the same bridge as Trouba, if he must be bridged.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What would you consider getting paid? He's a great defencemen but 25~ point shutdown dmen should not and do not get paid heavily.

That is why you get him long term now before he gets PP time and his offense takes off. His ES p/60 are already pretty solid. I wouldn't classify him as a shut down dmen he is a two way guy based on the numbers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mostly like this, except I see no need to buyout Mason. We can handle his contract for this year. Of course his health is an issue. We don't know the medical information. If he can't play then put him on LTIR for 1 year. We would be hard pressed to absorb the 2nd year of the buyout.

Khudobin might be a good backup but he would likely get the same 1.2 mil he got this year. Maybe a small raise to 1.3.

I'm OK with your Myers trade. A lot of posters seem to think we should get more than that. He is coming of a bounce back season so maybe they are right. Nielsen is promising enough. But I would like it a lot better if we could make up a package to get 10OA from Chiarelli.

Edit: Forgot Morrissey. 4.5 is too much for a bridge deal. That is getting close to what he would get long term. And I wouldn't bridge him for 3 years. That gets too close to UFA for comfort. Give him the same bridge as Trouba, if he must be bridged.

The 2nd year is not a major amount. We can definitely handle it. It' more about getting ourselves a backup that won't spend 75% of the season on IR and cheaper as well. If Mason just ends up on the IR again then we have Comrie as a backup and that is a terrible plan IMO.

Yeah I agree. Rumour is Chiarelli is looking for winger though not defencemen. They may have interest in Perreault but they won't move 10OA for him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is why you get him long term now before he gets PP time and his offense takes off. His ES p/60 are already pretty solid. I wouldn't classify him as a shut down dmen he is a two way guy based on the numbers.

That's the thing. Does Morrissey want a long term deal? Or does he think he has more to prove in order to earn more money?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One word: Injuries.

I based the number of contracts from the 2017-18 season. It's not realistic to sign just 12 forwards, 7 D-men, and 2 goalies. If we have several injuries, we would not have enough depth to compensate.

In 2017-18, we had 17 forwards, 9 defensemen, and 3 goalies under contract. Even if you exclude Stastny and Morrow, that is still 27 players signed.

I just went back and tweaked my roster slightly, and added Appleton, as I am betting he will make the roster at some point, even if he sits in the PB. So I have 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies under contract. I could include someone like Appleton (along with Vesalainen and Lemieux) on the payroll, as I am betting on then being called up, and making the team either at the start of the season or midway through (just like Connor and Roslovic last year).

I deleted the #$1,000,000 UFA goalie, and replaced him with Mason ($4,100,000). I don't see us moving Mason, especially with his cap hit. He only has one year to go, until he becomes an UFA, and if he bounces back next season, he can reduce the work load on Hellebuyck considerably.

Fair enough.
But no one suggested 12F, 7D, 2G. It would be 14 + 7 + 2 or 13 +8 + 2.
Also you don't need those injury replacements for the whole season. They are generally AHL callups and their salary while in the NHL counts against the cap, but not the rest of the season.

It is hard to know how much to allocate for injuries but leaving 1-2 mil headroom should do the trick. Take an average number of player games lost and an average cost of a callup. I'm also not sure how injury overages are dealt with. I'm guessing it is similar to bonus overages. What I know is that every year there are several teams right at the cap and with no LTIR relief so it must be getting handled behind the scenes somehow. A carry-over to the next season appears logical if a team goes over. The other thing we know is that it has to be normalized to 50% of HRR in the end. Maybe the injury overages are dealt with there somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad