Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Top 6 Spaling all over again.

In other words, we are really looking at a complete rebuild with cost cutting measures. I actually don't hate that idea. If we have to shed salary, why not start the rebuild.

Tinordi, however, should absolutely not be on an NHL roster. That's a disappointment. But if we are rebuilding I guess it doesn't matter.

Realistically, you could be looking at something like this for our team next year.

JofA
Sissons Duchene Tomisino
Jarnkrok Bonino Grimaldi
Trenin Blackwell Watson

Josi Ellis
Ekholm Fabbro
Carrier Tinordi
Santini

Rinne
Saros

I really don't think that group makes the playoffs... but stranger things have happened?

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Can't see how that team makes the playoffs especially with the uncertainty at goal @Roman Yoshi.

I don't hate Tinordi as the 6-7D but he has to have a strong partner so he doesn't have to touch the puck. I'd really like for us to go after a guy like Bogosian, DeMelo, guys who can be had for $1-1,5M. I mean that's what at max $700k more than you'd give a guy like Davies etc.?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

In other words, we are really looking at a complete rebuild with cost cutting measures. I actually don't hate that idea. If we have to shed salary, why not start the rebuild.

Tinordi, however, should absolutely not be on an NHL roster. That's a disappointment. But if we are rebuilding I guess it doesn't matter.

Realistically, you could be looking at something like this for our team next year.

JofA
Sissons Duchene Tomisino
Jarnkrok Bonino Grimaldi
Free agent Blackwell Watson

Josi Ellis
Ekholm Fabbro
Carrier Tinordi
Santini

Rinne
Saros

I really don't think that group makes the playoffs... but stranger things have happened?
That's a black-hole team. Probably not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough (and won't be as long as we have JOFA/Duchene/our top 4) to draft high.

Agree that Poile's a little scary with this talk. Sissons production is mediocre and is often boosted by him having inexplicable hat tricks. On a game to game basis he's fairly invisible.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If we sign Blackwell does that give us 6 centers for 4 spots? Joey, Turris, Duchene, Bonino, Sissons, Blackwell. ( and that's not including Jarnkrok).

If Poile is willing to move any of them and the big factor is money, ooh man we may be looking more like the old school Preds than many of us are comfortable with.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

JofA
Sissons Duchene Tomisino
Jarnkrok Bonino Grimaldi
Free agent Blackwell Watson

Josi Ellis
Ekholm Fabbro
Carrier Tinordi
Santini

Rinne
Saros

Don't forget Trenin.

Anyway, I think the key ingredient is "hunger". We didn't have even this much left once the injuries set in during the Cup finals run. But the guys we slot in really have to step up. Probably that's easier to do for a 10- or 20-game stretch than it is for a whole season, though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I kind of expect Jarnkrok in the Top 6 more than Sissons, but I expect Poile may be trying to challenge Sissons to try and step up. We've had less talented lineups make the playoffs in the past so it isn't impossible for that to happen but I wouldn't expect us to be contenders this year given that potential lineup. I still don't mind a retool season like this though where we assess our young talent and then decide what direction to go. Especially when it is likely going to be a weird season again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sissons in the top-6 all year might at least sneak him onto Seattle's radar if nothing else. Maybe that's the plan? Make sure they don't take Trenin or Ingram or anything mean like that!

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What would be the ask for these C's? I don't see trading Duchene after his signing. (Biggest UFA signing in prime in Nashville history)

I think Bonino might be valued more than RyJo given the cap situation: a lot of teams need a 2/3 center that's affordable; while Bonino hasn't scored as a 2C in a while, he could be one of the best options this offseason. RyJo's cap hit is a bit scary to be honest: 8M is a lot in this environment
No really good ideas on RyJo or Duchene here... I think it's worth listening, but if things got to that point, I honestly have no idea what Poile would be looking for.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I kind of expect Jarnkrok in the Top 6 more than Sissons, but I expect Poile may be trying to challenge Sissons to try and step up. We've had less talented lineups make the playoffs in the past so it isn't impossible for that to happen but I wouldn't expect us to be contenders this year given that potential lineup. I still don't mind a retool season like this though where we assess our young talent and then decide what direction to go. Especially when it is likely going to be a weird season again.

On the other hand, this is the reason I'd like to see us go after the Bobby Ryan/Galchenyuk/Bogosian type of players. The type of players that if they succeed provide great value for the price they were acquired and can help greatly with the run at the Cup but ultimately, if they flame out, nobody really blinks an eye.

That's at least telling the team that we're trying to contend because if you ice the lineup Yoshi posted, you aren't making a magical run at the Cup, there's really no way.

In the end, the way Poile's built this team, it should try to contend year in, year out. Otherwise, we're just spending time here and Poile himself doesn't really have it all that much left.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
All-in-all, where there’s smoke there’s fire in an offseason like this one. I think we’re gonna move a center as Seravalli reported on TSN.

Hopefully, someone overpays for Bonino or takes Turris off our hands.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I hear 'All centers are available.' and my first thought was panic about the team revenues but then I thought deeply. If the team was cutting costs, Poile would have DONE it, no word from him, just do it. When Kimmo was moved to Philly, no shopping just did it. Also EVERY ONE would have been on the table. Preds would have to cut 15 million to scrape floor and sign RFAs

Further thought: this might be the best year to just blow it up. Deep 2020 draft, season is a maybe, the roster is a mismatch built for 3 coaches; Trotz, Lavi, Hynes. Take a breathe, meditate, and form a plan. You got punched in the mouth, try again.

1) Evaluate Turris for trade: He has value. Turris is a 40 pts center at 6 million. That puts him in the top 55 of centers in the NHL. He's a #2 center, overpriced by a million. 2 at most

2) You have Bonino's replacement, MOVE HIM. I want a pick or an upgrade of #11. I posed a question about Bonino to Ottawa. Bones has a cap of 4.1 and a salary of 2.4. If Arizona had a pick above 3rd rd, I would listen. Also, if revenues were a problem Bonino would not be on the block.

3) ALL the centers underachieved. It gives me a slight optimism because MOST of the players sucked and the team, by the skin 0f it's fingernails, made the playoffs.

4) Askarov. I put this here because I think Ottawa will pine for him. Ottawa's 3rd pick (28th) plus a couple of 2nds? Imagine the Preds with 28 and 4 2nds? Most want Quinn but I see an insane opportunity at 11. NJ as well.

Please note, I tend to be optimist but there are so many options for Poile and co.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I hear 'All centers are available.' and my first thought was panic about the team revenues but then I thought deeply. If the team was cutting costs, Poile would have DONE it, no word from him, just do it. When Kimmo was moved to Philly, no shopping just did it. Also EVERY ONE would have been on the table. Preds would have to cut 15 million to scrape floor and sign RFAs

Further thought: this might be the best year to just blow it up. Deep 2020 draft, season is a maybe, the roster is a mismatch built for 3 coaches; Trotz, Lavi, Hynes. Take a breathe, meditate, and form a plan. You got punched in the mouth, try again.

1) Evaluate Turris for trade: He has value. Turris is a 40 pts center at 6 million. That puts him in the top 55 of centers in the NHL. He's a #2 center, overpriced by a million. 2 at most

2) You have Bonino's replacement, MOVE HIM. I want a pick or an upgrade of #11. I posed a question about Bonino to Ottawa. Bones has a cap of 4.1 and a salary of 2.4. If Arizona had a pick above 3rd rd, I would listen. Also, if revenues were a problem Bonino would not be on the block.

3) ALL the centers underachieved. It gives me a slight optimism because MOST of the players sucked and the team, by the skin 0f it's fingernails, made the playoffs.

4) Askarov. I put this here because I think Ottawa will pine for him. Ottawa's 3rd pick (28th) plus a couple of 2nds? Imagine the Preds with 28 and 4 2nds? Most want Quinn but I see an insane opportunity at 11. NJ as well.

Please note, I tend to be optimist but there are so many options for Poile and co.
On #2. The teams that would be interested in Bonino are not going to have a draft pick higher than ours. Those teams have no need for a 3C who is a UFA at the end of the year, most of them aren't competing this year. The competitive teams probably aren't looking to trade a 1st round pick for a 3C before the season starts. If you trade him, his value is probably maximized by a bidding war at the deadline.

On #4. I would rather draft the talent at #11 than have the low-end 1st and 4 2nds. The talent gap from #11 to #28 is enormous in some years. Sure, in some drafts you can wind up with Corey Perry (yeah, yeah, I know, still was a very talented player), who's not much of a downgrade from Jeff Carter, but in others you are getting Josh Ho-Sang instead of Kevin Fiala, Dylan Olsen instead of Ryan Ellis. In 4-5 years, when you actually start rebuilding, you maybe go for the extra depth if you don't love anyone at your pick. I think you have to go the higher-end talent route now and hope you've got a 1st/2nd line-type over the bottom 6ers you're likely to get at #28 and the 2nd round.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Don't forget Trenin.

Anyway, I think the key ingredient is "hunger". We didn't have even this much left once the injuries set in during the Cup finals run. But the guys we slot in really have to step up. Probably that's easier to do for a 10- or 20-game stretch than it is for a whole season, though.

Fixed. Good call.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
On #2. The teams that would be interested in Bonino are not going to have a draft pick higher than ours. Those teams have no need for a 3C who is a UFA at the end of the year, most of them aren't competing this year. The competitive teams probably aren't looking to trade a 1st round pick for a 3C before the season starts. If you trade him, his value is probably maximized by a bidding war at the deadline.

On #4. I would rather draft the talent at #11 than have the low-end 1st and 4 2nds. The talent gap from #11 to #28 is enormous in some years. Sure, in some drafts you can wind up with Corey Perry (yeah, yeah, I know, still was a very talented player), who's not much of a downgrade from Jeff Carter, but in others you are getting Josh Ho-Sang instead of Kevin Fiala, Dylan Olsen instead of Ryan Ellis. In 4-5 years, when you actually start rebuilding, you maybe go for the extra depth if you don't love anyone at your pick. I think you have to go the higher-end talent route now and hope you've got a 1st/2nd line-type over the bottom 6ers you're likely to get at #28 and the 2nd round.

What I think you aren't factoring in is cost controlled. Even teams looking to compete are looking to cut costs. Owners don't like losing money. Even "rebuilding" teams are going to be looking for that. They could even flip Bonino at the next trade deadline and get more for him in return than we did.

Bonino has a higher cap hit (reaching cap floor) than he does actual dollars. That's big for any team right now.

Hard to say what Poile does but BFC isn't wrong. If there was a year to blow it up and hit reset... this may very well be it. You have an expansion draft and a league wide revenue problem. Chaos is going to breed opportunity and out of the box thinking.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we are worried about losing a 23 year old winger who hasn't even stuck with the team... we have a much, much bigger problem.
Would you rather see Seattle take Sissons or Trenin? If the expansion draft was today?

Has nothing to do with the magnitude of our other problems or the magnitude of worry attached to them. It's a self-contained issue.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Came over from the AZ Coyotes board
Been thinking about a Keller for Johansen swap. We need a center so that Dvorak can go back to the 2nd line. Does this make sense from a Pred's fan perspective?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Would definitely need to be Keller + something substantial and even the I’d say no. Keller doesn’t really fit anything we need and that contract is pretty brutal for his production. I know he still has room to go but that’s no sure thing.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think you are undervaluing Keller. He just can't produce with Tocchet as the coach. But thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad