Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't mind targeting a platoon goalie for about 2-3 seasons or so. I'm thinking Lehner who should be able to do that and continue to grow as well. Gilles and Rittich full time in AHL next season.

Once one of Lehner or Smith goes down (inevitable). The better of the two in the AHL gets their call up. The best after next season backs up Lehner for 1-2 seasons once Smith's contract is out, though I can't help but think Smith might take a cheap contract to continue as a backup/mentor.

I also like the idea of two completely insane dudes between the posts for us. Smith and Lehner are two different types of crazy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
f*** no to Lehner, most overrated goalie in the league. He's garbage

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
**** no to Lehner, most overrated goalie in the league. He's garbage

You have something to say to this guy?

lehner-eyes.jpg

He's not my top choice, but a guy I mention solely because we mught have a chance of getting him without using assets. Another depreciated asset I'd look into is Darling. But hey, if we can do better than those guys at a fit, price, length and cap that makes sense, I'm all for it.

Edit: ugh, having a rough time posting pics on mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
**** no to Lehner, most overrated goalie in the league. He's garbage
I don't think Lehner could possibly be overrated at this point given even his own team's fans all say he sucks.

Personally, I think Lehner could be the next Dubnyk. But I don't know if the Flames, with their shaky defensive play, are the team to elicit that kind of turnaround.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd take that just for the first, to be honest, to be done with the headache of wondering if Fox will ever sign here. We also have a plethora of defenceman prospects.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'd take that just for the first, to be honest, to be done with the headache of wondering if Fox will ever sign here. We also have a plethora of defenceman prospects.
What headache exactly? He has over a year before he has to sign anyways.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd rather trade Fox in a package for a tangible NHL player that fills a need if we can't get a top 10 pick. Why trade for another prospect that would theoretically be further away from contributing at an NHL level?

His value is higher now than it would be next year so this would be the best time to trade him. I do think he is most likely to get moved this summer for scoring help

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What headache exactly? He has over a year before he has to sign anyways.
Yes, which means he still has trade value throughout this season, which is good. The issue for me is that Adam Fox is the "perfect storm" to burn us. He's going to Harvard, which gives him a lot of motivation to stay 4 years. He's highly touted, which means there is really no risk to him testing the market. And of course, he's on a team that is loaded with defencemen (and I can't see that changing in a year), which means he probably has a faster route to the NHL by going UFA.

In his situation, it seems to be both the best choice and the easiest choice to not sign with the Flames. So hence the headache for me.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't hate it. I am a big fan of Day and it removes the risk of Fox not signing here. It is a bit of a two nickels for a dime type deal though.

I view it as a bird in the hand is equal to two in the bush. Because Fox isn't completely Flames property, we're guaranteed players in Day and a 1st. I don't disagree with the assessments though.

Unless we target another NCAA with that 1st rounder, those two pieces are guaranteed ours for a bit. However, I'd also caution that having such little faith in our prospects isn't a good route for the NCAA route. Hickey is an exception to the NCAA guys we've targeted so far. Let's not knee jerk reaction over Fox not skipping school to sign with us. I'd keep Fox. However, if Tre wants a 1st, I think the 1st is more for currency to be quickly flipped for something like a position of need, not to be used to draft a player.

I think NYR might also be interested in Andersson as they also have his older brother Calle IIRC. I'd be more willing to trade Andersson and keep Fox TBH. I think Fox's timeline fits better for an opportunity to play on the NHL roster. Andersson is knocking at the door at a time where we have 4 RD on the roster (Dougie, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone). If we can upgrade his stock from the 2nd we spent on him to a late 1st and remove a logjam, that's not terrible asset management. If we assume Fox is doing another season of College and at least one season of AHL, he's knocking at a time close to Brodie and Hamonic's deals expiring IIRC. I'd lean more towards communicating with Fox we're getting ready for him and trade Andersson if we move a RHS RD prospect. Sending Andersson to NYR could even be spun as doing him a solid by giving him a better chance to play as well as reuniting him with his bro.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Trading for Darling

To be fair, I'm assuming Carolina would be willing to retain salary and essentially paying us to take Darling a la Lack because they want to move all in on someone high profile. I'm not remotely considering Darling at full value. I'm talking seeing what the price of Darling at 3.8 AAV or so would be and if it could work out. We have a few extra "toughness" that we could spare like Hathaways and Smiths and stuff. I'd consider chatting up Carolina. IMO Darling ATM is no worse than what the Blues are struggling with in what they have in Jake Allen who is another guy I'd ask about. Both are guys who are young enough who could bounce back. I do also like Darling's approach to adversity and his character, but that's perhaps moot in comparison to the on ice performance. I'm ok with accepting it's a bad idea if the majority of ya'lls think he's a bad target... but I don't feel like it's too insane of an idea.

I mean, hey, we ended up going from Kanzig and a buyout to Dalton Prout trading with Carolina then Jersey. That's not bad at all in the grand scheme of things when it already looked like a bad flub of a draft and Kanzig was worth a 7th at best. IMO worst case scenario, a salary retained Scott Darling shouldn't be a bad backup option if both we and Carolina retain, no? We wouldn't lose value on our assets.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't care for the late first of this draft. We likely end up getting another undersized D man (this class appears to be loaded with those)

Also am I missing something with the Fox won't sign talk? I keep seeing people saying his rights are up after this coming year but don't the extend to the end of his senior year? He's a junior this coming year.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'd rather trade Fox in a package for a tangible NHL player that fills a need if we can't get a top 10 pick. Why trade for another prospect that would theoretically be further away from contributing at an NHL level?

His value is higher now than it would be next year so this would be the best time to trade him. I do think he is most likely to get moved this summer for scoring help
I agree, picks are nice but we need real help on the ice right now.
Trading Fox is a bit of a puzzle though, he's a hell of a prospect but the risk of him schultzing his way to free agency is very real. So why would any team pay a premium? Unless they had a guarantee from Fox that he'll sign, which probably counts as tampering. Of course we all know the Rangers are exempt from the tampering rules but still.
From a long term asset management POV it might be best to just wait until Fox finishes his NCAA career and, should he not choose to sign with us, drum up a bidding war for his negotiation rights. That won't help the Flames scoring woes next year though.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
How about...

To Buffalo: Dougie Hamilton, Sam Bennett, Mark Jankowski
To Calgary: Ryan O'Reilly, Alexander Nylander, 2018 1st*

*The first is if Buffalo loses the draft lotteries and drops to 4th overall

Flames can then ponder taking Brady Tkachuk depending on who's available.

Way off here?

imGYJYj.png

Boatload of cap space as well to go hunting for a top 6 winger on the UFA market if you aren't particularly thrilled with Foo and Nylander starting in the top 6, but they might get by seeing who they are lining up with.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I am against trading Fox, kid is going to be a stud. I think he will be the next Ghost.

I've said this before but I think he's as good a prospect now as Gaudreau was the summer before his rookie year. I'm really against trading him unless we absolutely know there's no way he's signing here.

Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've said this before but I think he's as good a prospect now as Gaudreau was the summer before his rookie year. I'm really against trading him unless we absolutely know there's no way he's signing here.

Our management just needs to ensure that he gets signed. Honestly if that means guaranteeing him a spot, so be it.

Reactions: Cyrano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad