Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We need to sign a goalie and Tkachuk next off season. So yes, we do have salary issues
Signing a goalie replaces Smith's salary. Stone comes off the books combined with the cap going up for Tkachuk's salary. If there's any further issue, trades are possible. The Flames have a fantastic cap situation thanks to Treliving's work.

EDIT: My mistake, though Stone was a two-year. It'll be fine, though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I like Stone, but he's not needed and it would give us flexibility if Tre wants to go long term with Hanifin. For what he brings to this particular lineup, our 3.5 could be used elsewhere or for relief.
How much flexibility do we need to go long term with Hanifin? That’s why we bought out Brouwer. We’re good there.

Where would that 3.5 be used? A top 6RW? No we have two of those now. A backup goalie? Not for 3.5. Are we looking to upgrade D? No probably not.

There isn’t a single hole we need to fill that is more valuable than a #5D who can play up.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
How much flexibility do we need to go long term with Hanifin? That’s why we bought out Brouwer. We’re good there.

Where would that 3.5 be used? A top 6RW? No we have two of those now. A backup goalie? Not for 3.5. Are we looking to upgrade D? No probably not.

There isn’t a single hole we need to fill that is more valuable than a #5D who can play up.
I'd spend $3,500,000 to give Smith a bionic groin right now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Can't see Stone being traded until next summer. At moment, he's only one of four right shot defensemen in the entire organization (and one of those four is Prout). He's depth insurance (and fans should know how much Treliving values that) for the time being.

But for cap, roster and utility purposes, I do think it's likely both him and Frolik are moved next year unless the prospects fail completely. Flames will likely need more cap space to re-sign Tkachuk and Smith or another goalie. If Bennett breaks out he'll need a decent raise; if he doesn't I suspect he'll be moved. They have a ton of prospects pushing for spots, some of which will be losing their waiver exemption status. And finally, with the recent RFA signings and the Brouwer buyout, Treliving made a point to say that the bottom of the roster must be paid in accordance with usage almost regardless of ability. Both Frolik and Stone are being pushed there so it makes sense to move them for other assets and fill their spots with cheaper ELC's.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Either Stone was going to be traded or Brouwer bought out this summer. It was never going to be both.

It's a long shot but I could see Treliving keeping Stone around to entice Mark Stone to sign here. There was a lot of smoke around Treliving and the Sens last season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Treliving is a bit of a cap wiz. I’m never worried.

If this was a feaster level Jabroni, then I’d be fully convinced we were going to move Tkachuk.

I can see Duchene in Calgary for some reason. We’ve been tied to the guy for what seems like ever.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
And don't forget Bennett will cost a lot after his 25 goal season

I don’t think a 25 goal season would change much for his next contract. It would take a solid 40-50 goal season to move the needle from third line money to second line money.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
We need to sign a goalie and Tkachuk next off season. So yes, we do have salary issues

Next off-season means we should move a guy now and weaken our team?

Plus if that is what we are worried about we lose Smith's money to use to replace him and Frolik is a guy that would be better to move to clear space considering he likely gets you more and should be replaceable by next year from guys on the roster/AHL.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving is a bit of a cap wiz. I’m never worried.

If this was a feaster level Jabroni, then I’d be fully convinced we were going to move Tkachuk.

I can see Duchene in Calgary for some reason. We’ve been tied to the guy for what seems like ever.
Could you imagine the haul Feaster would get for Hamilton?

It would definitely be something like a protected first, 3rd liner, and B prospect

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I like Stone, but he's not needed and it would give us flexibility if Tre wants to go long term with Hanifin. For what he brings to this particular lineup, our 3.5 could be used elsewhere or for relief.

I think he is definitely needed. For one if someone goes down then we are left with one of Andersson, Kulak, Prout or Kylington playing in the top 4 and that is a terrifying idea.

If he is replaced then we are forcing our top 4 to play all the PK minutes or throwing out a guy like Andersson or Kulak out there which again is a terrifying idea.

Until one of the young guys can show that they are more than a warm body at the NHL level Stone is definitely a need for us. If Andersson comes in and plays a lot better than he did in his short time last year then we can look at moving Stone then. I don't think he will be any harder to move around the deadline or get any less than he would if we move him now.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It would definitely be something like a protected first, 3rd liner, and B prospect

Sure but that prospect would be the best B prospect not in the NHL right now!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Protected 1st round pick.
Journeyman AHLer under contract.
8th best team prospect akin to a Klimchuk.

Quote:
‘Journeyman AHL Guy is feisty. Ask our players in Stockton’
‘Player we pick at 27 will be the best player from this draft.’
‘Prospect is really good. His AHL numbers are misleading, we think he could be a great depth option for us.’

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don’t think a 25 goal season would change much for his next contract. It would take a solid 40-50 goal season to move the needle from third line money to second line money.
25 goal scorers don't get paid $2m. Even if he went to arbitration, his salary would probably double after a 25 goal season. Christian Dvorak just signed for $4.45m after just two 15 goals seasons. Bennett isn't going to get another bridge deal after 25 goals and he's surely not going to sign a long term deal for $2-2.5m (although it would be sweet if he did and wouldn't be the most surprising contract from Treliving)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

This is one of those things where I'm not sure whether it's sarcasm or not. 40-50 goal season to get second line money? :help:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Why would you compare a GM hired to do the tear down of an organization and the one hired to rebuild it. That's like comparing a demo company to a home builder.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Can't see Stone being traded until next summer. At moment, he's only one of four right shot defensemen in the entire organization (and one of those four is Prout). He's depth insurance (and fans should know how much Treliving values that) for the time being.

But for cap, roster and utility purposes, I do think it's likely both him and Frolik are moved next year unless the prospects fail completely. Flames will likely need more cap space to re-sign Tkachuk and Smith or another goalie. If Bennett breaks out he'll need a decent raise; if he doesn't I suspect he'll be moved. They have a ton of prospects pushing for spots, some of which will be losing their waiver exemption status. And finally, with the recent RFA signings and the Brouwer buyout, Treliving made a point to say that the bottom of the roster must be paid in accordance with usage almost regardless of ability. Both Frolik and Stone are being pushed there so it makes sense to move them for other assets and fill their spots with cheaper ELC's.

Look at capfriendly and Frolik is definitely gone this year/off-season to fit in Tkachuk's raise. I don't see how we can give Tkachuk a $5mil raise and keep Frolik. Stone is gone too because Rasmus will take his spot about 4 games into the season at the latest and Kulak is better than Stone.

We'll be in a sticky situation if Bennett does break out, which I am 100% for because say he finally does go 25/30 he'll be looking at a Lindholm-ish contract (maybe not the length because it's only the 1 proven year, but I could see it happening). Still, if Bennett signs a Lindholm contract, $5milx6 years and Tkachuk gets $6.5/8 that's $8 mil in raises which puts the Flames at $68 mil with pretty much everyone good signed, leaving 7 spots open though that includes a starting goalie. Scratch that, that doesn't include Hanifins contract, so $73 mil with everyone sans a goalie signed and 6 spots open. So like $6 mil to sign a starting goalie, 2 4th liners and 1 bottom pairing d-man. This is all based on Frolik and Stone staying as well so it could theoretically work, but the starting goalie would be getting paid like $3 mil if the 3 other players were ELC. Moving both of them free's up $7.8 mil, assuming we take no salary back.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't believe that people are concerned about a player breaking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t see either Stone or Frolik being dealt. Last season Tre hoped that the kids would take the spots left open, no one did so he had to sign Jags. He’s not going to deal anyone until a vet is displaced by a kid. But we should all be hoping that both of them get dealt because that would mean 2 kids outplayed them.

Yeah it depends on who can step up. If Andersson, Valamaki or Kylington steps up then Stone can and should be dealt.
Same with Frolik if Czarnik, Dube or someone steps up.

They cant carry too many 4-5M bottom line players. Tkachuk and maybe Bennett/Jank need to be signed long term

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Bennett can be signed to a one year bridge like Karlsson if he breaks out.

Also, Mark Hunter didn’t get hired by anyone and is rejoining the Knights. If Treliving screwed us in FA again this guy should be the next GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad