Speculation: Armchair GM Thread 2021-22 VII (Eichel? Never Heard of Him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Philly would be a good partner. Teams in turmoil tend to make bad decisions sometimes. I'd still circle back on Kessel. Wonder if we can pry Nicolas Roy out of Vegas. RFA at the end of the year, having a breakout season, and they are in a cap crunch.

I'd love Roy that's a great idea but he makes no money I can't see him being traded unless he is a add on with a bigger contract, to bad our GM's phone is dead but Amazon says his new power cord should be here by the end of June

Reactions: Boomstick

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Assuming we have both Johnny and Tkachuk
I don’t know why people are so panicked about them walking. They are both in the midst of career years after both were disappointing the year prior. Every day they hold out is literally earning them extra money in their next contract currently, they’d have to have awful agents to sign anything currently. Our cap is tight next season, but it’s not impossible to deal with even without trades.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don’t know why people are so panicked about them walking. They are both in the midst of career years after both were disappointing the year prior. Every day they hold out is literally earning them extra money in their next contract currently, they’d have to have awful agents to sign anything currently. Our cap is tight next season, but it’s not impossible to deal with even without trades.

Gaudreau has won 1 real playoff series since he has been here and he isn't getting any younger. Looking at this roster I have real concerns he would be willing to try somewhere else to try and get a cup. I can't imagine not being worried that Gaudreau will walk this offseason

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Rich Winter's comment on Mang being a top 5 NHL player is looking so stupid it's just laughable; these agents. Heck I can name probably around 15 players just on Canadian teams I would trade Mangiapane straight up for. He's not even top 50. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but one WC and one October does not make an all-star. I don't think we will have to pay north of 6M+ to retain him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Valimaki for Tippet add a pick if you have to (they owe us anyway)

Use the 1st+ for Pavelski/toffoli/ Connor Brown/ Konecny

Top line
Mangiapane - Monahan - Pav/toffoli/Brown/ Konecny
Coleman - Backlund - Tippett
Lucic - Dube - Sutter pet project

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Gaudreau has won 1 real playoff series since he has been here and he isn't getting any younger. Looking at this roster I have real concerns he would be willing to try somewhere else to try and get a cup. I can't imagine not being worried that Gaudreau will walk this offseason
I was more referring to people trying to say if he doesn’t have a deal in place by the trade deadline, we should ship him out. Him and Tkachuk are appearing to have career seasons on a stacked line a season after some poor play. Neither of them have any incentive to sign until this season plays out and they’ve maximized their value.

Honestly though, with the flat cap Calgary may be his best destination depending on how the playoffs go. No contender has the ability to add 9-10 million to their team in free agency. His hometown team is in complete disarray currently, with a retool/rebuild appearing imminent. Out of all the teams who could seriously look to add him, I’d argue Calgary is currently the most improved and best anyways. Plus the success he’s now finding in his current situation with his line mates and Sutter isn’t a guarantee elsewhere.

Our biggest worry should be if we absolutely lay an egg in the playoffs this season and Gaudreau is no show, and he or the organization sour on eachother. Considering Sutter’s reputation for elevating teams in the playoffs though I have renewed faith in us. Sutter took us to the finals as the 6th seed in the West, and both of LA cup wins came as the 6th and 8th best team in the west. We don’t need to be world beaters before the playoffs start under Sutter.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I was more referring to people trying to say if he doesn’t have a deal in place by the trade deadline, we should ship him out. Him and Tkachuk are appearing to have career seasons on a stacked line a season after some poor play. Neither of them have any incentive to sign until this season plays out and they’ve maximized their value.

Honestly though, with the flat cap Calgary may be his best destination depending on how the playoffs go. No contender has the ability to add 9-10 million to their team in free agency. His hometown team is in complete disarray currently, with a retool/rebuild appearing imminent. Out of all the teams who could seriously look to add him, I’d argue Calgary is currently the most improved and best anyways. Plus the success he’s now finding in his current situation with his line mates and Sutter isn’t a guarantee elsewhere.

Our biggest worry should be if we absolutely lay an egg in the playoffs this season and Gaudreau is no show, and he or the organization sour on eachother. Considering Sutter’s reputation for elevating teams in the playoffs though I have renewed faith in us. Sutter took us to the finals as the 6th seed in the West, and both of LA cup wins came as the 6th and 8th best team in the west. We don’t need to be world beaters before the playoffs start under Sutter.

I'm one of those people we can't let him walk for nothing, if there is no deal in place we could be looking at 1st+ top prospect for Gaudreau that would go a long way to jump starting this franchise. I would also give Gaudreau any contract he wanted and figure out the cap in the offseason

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Rich Winter's comment on Mang being a top 5 NHL player is looking so stupid it's just laughable; these agents. Heck I can name probably around 15 players just on Canadian teams I would trade Mangiapane straight up for. He's not even top 50. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but one WC and one October does not make an all-star. I don't think we will have to pay north of 6M+ to retain him.

mangi may be top 5 on the Flames

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
I think last nights game vs. the Canucks reminds everyone in the front office and ownership, the pros and cons to this years construct.

We can play and beat anyone, and at times look dominant doing so.
We can and have had more goals for than that supposed scoring juggernaut (pfft!) to the North
Our goaltending (even tandem) is very good and the D is very good.

However, we go as the first line goes and now with Lindholm in a slump, he looks a bit hurt to me. We can make the playoffs, but would struggle, even with Sutter's system, to get past the first round.

Move Valamaki, move a past year's first rounder, move this years - lets go for it.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I think last nights game vs. the Canucks reminds everyone in the front office and ownership, the pros and cons to this years construct.

We can play and beat anyone, and at times look dominant doing so.
We can and have had more goals for than that supposed scoring juggernaut (pfft!) to the North
Our goaltending (even tandem) is very good and the D is very good.

However, we go as the first line goes and now with Lindholm in a slump, he looks a bit hurt to me. We can make the playoffs, but would struggle, even with Sutter's system, to get past the first round.

Move Valamaki, move a past year's first rounder, move this years - lets go for it.

They look dominant against East (excpet for Tampa, Florida and Carolina), Seattle and Chicago, but dont look all that good against the West. Usually beaten by Dallas, Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose, Vegas, and, eww, Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad