Speculation: Armchair GM Thread 2021-22 VII (Eichel? Never Heard of Him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Preparations for this off-season will be a nightmare for this team's front office.

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride this season, as it'll probably the best chance we'll get with this core as it is. I'm hoping for a proactive Treliving who will make a trade before the roster freeze to supplement our forwards but I doubt we're planning on doing anything until after the Olympic break

Reactions: flamesforcup

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Did someone say VII?

Anyways IMO our biggest needs are

- Playmaking 3C or 3RW (RHS) - We should go after JG Pageau or, if Dim Jim is dumb enough, Bo Horvat.

- Playmaking 4RW (RHS) - We should promote Matthew Phillips, especially opposite Lucic that line wayyyyyyy makes too much sense

- Playdriving 4C - It will probably have to be someone experienced for Sutter to be comfortable, but Richardson is Jay Beagle levels of possession black hole in that role. We need at least a guy who can carry the puck out of the D zone. A name that I'd be interested in is Radek Faksa

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Preparations for this off-season will be a nightmare for this team's front office.

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride this season, as it'll probably the best chance we'll get with this core as it is. I'm hoping for a proactive Treliving who will make a trade before the roster freeze to supplement our forwards but I doubt we're planning on doing anything until after the Olympic break

Yea I feel like Treliving hasn't ever managed the cap well so I'm not looking forward to the offseason. But I'm just going to do the same as you and enjoy this team playing like this while I can. I'm terribly afraid of Mangiapane getting offersheeted

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With Mangiapane and Kylington becoming RFA's this summer, should we be prepared for an offer sheet or two?
Has Treliving done anything to piss off Tommy Dumbdon lately? Tommy is known to hold a grudge.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
With Mangiapane and Kylington becoming RFA's this summer, should we be prepared for an offer sheet or two?
Has Treliving done anything to piss off Tommy Dumbdon lately? Tommy is known to hold a grudge.

We need to move monahan and lucic this summer.

Mangi is looking at 7-8 if he keeps this up, Gaudreau 9-11, tkachuk 9. Moving both those contracts makes it easy, but idk if that’ll be doable.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
If you give Mangiapane 7M, Tkachuk 9M, Gaudreau 10M, and Kylington 4.5M (all estimates, I think they're fairly reasonable)

You then have a team with 9 F, 5D and 2 G. And it's 325k over the cap.
Fill in the spaces with cheap players (Mackey, Duehr, Pelletier, Ruzicka, etc.) all making less than a million.
That team is about 5.5M over the cap.
So theoretically trading away Lucic and taking no cap in return (and replacing him with a prospect) you're then just over 1M over the cap.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If you give Mangiapane 7M, Tkachuk 9M, Gaudreau 10M, and Kylington 4.5M (all estimates, I think they're fairly reasonable)

Fill in the spaces with cheap players (Mackey, Duehr, Pelletier, Ruzicka, etc.) all making less than a million.
So theoretically trading away Lucic and taking no cap in return (and replacing him with a prospect) you're then just over 1M over the cap.
We also have the Brouwer buyout dropping off ($1.5 million). Mangi isn't some highly touted prospect coming up. He'll be 26 years old, coming into this year with 77 career points. If he's even asking around the $7 million neighborhood, he'll be traded. He simple doesn't have the sustained body of work to support it. That being said, I think Kylington will be a little higher. All and all, the summed estimates are probably pretty close.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
We also have the Brouwer buyout dropping off ($1.5 million). Mangi isn't some highly touted prospect coming up. He'll be 26 years old, coming into this year with 77 career points. If he's even asking around the $7 million neighborhood, he'll be traded. He simple doesn't have the sustained body of work to support it. That being said, I think Kylington will be a little higher. All and all, the summed estimates are probably pretty close.

Yeah I did that on Capfriendly, the Brouwer buyout dropping off would be included.
I definitely can see arguments on exactly what those guys get paid, but it is pretty clear that unless Monahan and/or Lucic go out, the flames really can't afford to re-sign everyone.

I also didn't add any cap increase, so if it does go up at all that's more room

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah I did that on Capfriendly, the Brouwer buyout dropping off would be included.
I definitely can see arguments on exactly what those guys get paid, but it is pretty clear that unless Monahan and/or Lucic go out, the flames really can't afford to re-sign everyone.

I also didn't add any cap increase, so if it does go up at all that's more room
I'm expecting matching contacts, in the Konecny range(5.5), for Mangi and Kylington. Both of Johnny and Tkachuk should be under 10 but we're probably sitting around 19 for the pair. That's about half a million less than you're projecting but realistically, we may end up having to move both Lucic and Monahan, for a little flexibility.

Reactions: Ainsy01

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

I think Mangiapane comes in at closer to Lindolm's cap hit of around 5 million per at around 6 years, (hoping)- based on RFA status and team cap dynamic.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
I think Mangiapane comes in at closer to Lindolm's cap hit of around 5 million per at around 6 years, (hoping)- based on RFA status and team cap dynamic.
I hope you're right.
Realistically, it probably depends on just how much his goal scoring slows down.
I don't think anyone is expecting him to keep shooting 30% or to stay on pace for 60 goals.
But if he gets to 40, plus his fantastic underlying stats, I can see him getting paid

Reactions: Ainsy01

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Call up Pelletier, Gawdin/Ruzicka, Phillips

Trade Monahan + 1st + Kuz/Sergeev
for Hertl

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane
Hertl-Dube-Coleman
Lucic-Gawdin/Ruzicka-Phillips

The thing that amazes me about Sutter is that he underestimates his own ability to make players excel. He chooses plugs he knows instead of using his incredible teaching ability on more talented players with higher potentials.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Kylington is 100% getting a bridge. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, he'll get somewhere between 3 and 4M on a two or three year deal. Mangiapane's probably getting a bridge too or going with arbitration for a one year deal. But either way, their cap hits are going to be a lot smaller then people are expecting right now.

It's all too much too soon and shortened covid seasons have made things harder to evaluate so expect Treliving to push the longterm deals down the road, unless the players are inexplicably willing to sign very team friendly deals.

Regardless, both Lucic and Monahan have to go with minimal salary coming back to make the cap work. If not, one of Tkachuk or Gaudreau will have to go. And it would be peak Flames to watch Gaudreau walk in free agency and getting stuck with Monahan and Lucic on the final year of their contracts because they wouldn't waive.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

for Hertl

Hertl-Dube-Coleman

The thing that amazes me about Sutter is that he underestimates his own ability to make players excel. He chooses plugs he knows instead of using his incredible teaching ability on more talented players with higher potentials.

If that's all it took for Hertl I think it would be done, but depends how you view Monahan I guess. Also feels weird to trade for Hertl for the third line.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

for Hertl

Hertl-Dube-Coleman

I'd keep our first. Players Washington drafted with their firsts in "good" years:

Carlson
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Samsonov
Burakovsky
Johanssen

stay long term oriented especially with Johnny a potenfial UFA walk

Reactions: flamesforcup

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't really see any way we can keep all of Monahan, Tkachuk, and Gaudreau past this season. Even two would be a bit of a stretch. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but this team may look very different next year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Bread Man Forever.... Eichel Never.

51b002a0-b1a7-4c1e-b5f2-52a1f34bd2db_text.gif

Reactions: Ace Rimmer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3