Armchair GM III: No more stinky deadline rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I'm not saying it's the best spot in the league, but it's not all bad. Those raises, which are pretty reasonable I think, total up to about 7.63M. That leaves 5.52M to spend, without considering Franzen's situation.

A guy like Nyquist could just as easily be swung in a package for a defensemen.

The cap space I gave doesn't include their old deals so you gave those guys 13M which means Mantha, XO, AA and Nosek are going to play for free. If we can swing that, the team could be solid :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Maybe because of the surgery, Blash would limit Kronner's TOI. If greener does well on the PP, maybe they would consider moving Kronner to the 2nd PP, Save him for the PO

This most likely will be the logical choice, Once Kronwall gets back Make Greener the #1 D-Man and Kronner #2 pretty sure that's what Blash will do once Kronner gets back here shortly.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We should at least get to use $3M of his cap that's what comes off on LTIR i believe i think about $3M comes off and about $1M stays on by the looks of it. So you would think it would give us some flexibility.

Wouldn't it all come off the cap if he's on LTIR? AFAIC, Pronger (for example) doesn't count against the cap anymore at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have overpaid and traded for a defenseman by now. I have no idea how Holland watches this team and doesn't think we desperately need a quality defenseman or two. We have too many guys who turn the puck over and our transition game sucks ass.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wouldn't it all come off the cap if he's on LTIR? AFAIC, Pronger (for example) doesn't count against the cap anymore at all.

Not sure maybe you're right and it does all come off the cap, If so then we should've around another $4M we could spend on top of the $13.1M we've now that would help us some on upgrading at the trade deadline.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would have overpaid and traded for a defenseman by now. I have no idea how Holland watches this team and doesn't think we desperately need a quality defenseman or two. We have too many guys who turn the puck over and our transition game sucks ass.

Sometimes i wonder if the Illitches and Holland are happy and content if they make the playoffs year in and year out. Because Holland sure isn't doing any thing to help us get past the 1st round here.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Sometimes i wonder if the Illitches and Holland are happy and content if they make the playoffs year in and year out. Because Holland sure isn't doing any thing to help us get past the 1st round here.

I have to vent a bit after that loss to Tampa: it's a damn shame that Holland didn't follow through with retiring when Lidstrom retired, as he said he would. His management of this team has been dog crap the last couple of years, and Mike Green and Marian Hossa aside (two players who just about fell into his lap -- what an aggressive GM we have, eh?), he has done more to handcuff this team with bad contracts than he has to build a legitimate cup competitor. I really, really wish someone within the Ilitch camp would have the intestinal fortitude to call him up one of these mornings and tell him not to bother coming to work ever again.:rant:

Even though we don't have a clear cut replacement for him (and no, it's foolhardy to think that Yzerman is sitting at his desk in Tampa itching to take up the GM position for Detroit. There's some pie in the sky thinking from some of the Wings' fanbase), I'm betting that even Ryan Martin would be better than what we currently have.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I have to vent a bit after that loss to Tampa: it's a damn shame that Holland didn't follow through with retiring when Lidstrom retired, as he said he would. His management of this team has been dog crap the last couple of years, and Mike Green and Marian Hossa aside (two players who just about fell into his lap -- what an aggressive GM we have, eh?), he has done more to handcuff this team with bad contracts than he has to build a legitimate cup competitor. I really, really wish someone within the Ilitch camp would have the intestinal fortitude to call him up one of these mornings and tell him not to bother coming to work ever again.:rant:

Even though we don't have a clear cut replacement for him (and no, it's foolhardy to think that Yzerman is sitting at his desk in Tampa itching to take up the GM position for Detroit. There's some pie in the sky thinking from some of the Wings' fanbase), I'm betting that even Ryan Martin would be better than what we currently have.

Ryan Martin has a dynasty in Grand Rapids :naughty:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If we had drafted and developed at least one 1D in the past decade I'd be more content with riding this playoff streak out... But we really have no long term solution for our defense, and likely won't unless we get lucky in the draft (which hasn't worked since we got lucky with Lidstrom a few decades ago)

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
If we had drafted and developed at least one 1D in the past decade I'd be more content with riding this playoff streak out... But we really have no long term solution for our defense, and likely won't unless we get lucky in the draft (which hasn't worked since we got lucky with Lidstrom a few decades ago)

The sad part is we even did get lucky with getting DDK! It blows my mind that Holland is just sitting on all of these prospects that we have especially small forwards. Move a couple for someone who can help us now or at least give them enough ice time to show what they can do. Having jurco on 4th line and pulks in the press box accomplishes nothing!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The sad part is we even did get lucky with getting DDK! It blows my mind that Holland is just sitting on all of these prospects that we have especially small forwards. Move a couple for someone who can help us now or at least give them enough ice time to show what they can do. Having jurco on 4th line and pulks in the press box accomplishes nothing!

Ken Holland doesn't make the lineup.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
We need to be in on Vatanen or Shattenkirk, even in a slight over payment. Preferably Vatanen (cheaper and younger) but either way if you moved nyquist + jurco or someone like that your still giving up near the same amount of production.

It's kinda funny though that there is "talk" about Eriksson and the wings, and if we added him he would be our leading score by 6 points right off the hop. Heck Buff has 29/30 I think, add him and he is our 3rd highest point producer. I really wish this team would make moves but I want it to be guys that stick around, not rentals. Only way I can deal with the prices.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, some of us have been advocating this for a good long while. You could see the sands shifting from a mile away. But according to some, acquring any defenseman without giving up Larkin is apparently impossible.

Holland is good at building a foundation with a lot of pieces that complement each other, we've seen that through the drafting and development. However his roster management and ability to plug damaging holes in the roster leaves a lot to be desired, and that's as generous as I can be.

Our roster 'drain' is completely plugged with mediocrities preventing NHL ready prospects from getting their shots at the NHL level. Shots that they deserve, and that any NHL should be able to take advantage of to gauge their future NHL potential. That hasn't been able to happen for many players now, largely due to Holland's roster management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Darren Helm and Kyle Quincey are coming back. HSJ's latest puff piece article on Helm convinced me it's gonna happen.

If Helm takes a similar deal as before maybe a 3 year $6M Then i can see him back. But if he's looking for $3M+ then i can't see him back not sure how we can afford to sign both Q and DeKeyser both would get decent raises i would assume unless we can move say both Kindl and Smith i can't see how we can afford Q Maybe if we can get Q for say 3 years $11.25M or a $3,75M caphit then maybe we can swing him but with the current cap i can't see Q back unless he takes slightly less then what he;s making now.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If Helm takes a similar deal as before maybe a 3 year $6M Then i can see him back. But if he's looking for $3M+ then i can't see him back not sure how we can afford to sign both Q and DeKeyser both would get decent raises i would assume unless we can move say both Kindl and Smith i can't see how we can afford Q Maybe if we can get Q for say 3 years $11.25M or a $3,75M caphit then maybe we can swing him but with the current cap i can't see Q back unless he takes slightly less then what he;s making now.

Your lack of faith in Ken Holland is amusing. Reference: Abdekater contract.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah i wouldn't either we all know how Holland loves Helmer.

their is not a chance in hell that KH allows darren helm to walk this summer

so long as he dosent ask for anything north of 4 million a season on a deal longer then 4 years, KH will reward his loyal foot soldier

its what he does

4 years and 14 million will be his new deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
their is not a chance in hell that KH allows darren helm to walk this summer

so long as he dosent ask for anything north of 4 million a season on a deal longer then 4 years, KH will reward his loyal foot soldier

its what he does

4 years and 14 million will be his new deal

Sounded like earlier that it was either Abdelkader or Helm and Holland decided to lockup Gator.

I would say if Helm wants $3M+ let him walk i wouldn't at the most give him more then $2.5M and 4 years.

I know that Ken Holland shows his loyalty to his players especially the ones he likes and Helm will be no different.

Can't afford to give too much out still have to lockup DeKeyser, Mrazek, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Marchenko and DeKeyser and Mrazek wont be cheap we will see what happens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad