Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXI EVERYTHING FLAMES-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I could be out to lunch but I'm not sure why the Sharks would move Wingels? They really like him.

Not to mention, I'm not sure they want to add Bouma's cap hit.

Bouma has a lower cap hit than Wingels. But I made a derp. They'd want to move Wingels for picks for space for some kids to come up from the farm.

Ignore previous idea.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Nichols’ Notes: Teams aggressively chasing Blue Jackets’ top draft pick

Friedman believes when #TBLightning tried to trade up to get #FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Vasilevskiy, Drouin & their 1st [19th OV].​

Friedman believes when #Canucks tried to trade up to get #FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Garrison, Shinkaruk & their 1st [6th OV].​

Shows just how hard it is to trade up nowadays.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Friedman believes when #TBLightning tried to trade up to get #FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Vasilevskiy, Drouin & their 1st [19th OV].​

Friedman believes when #Canucks tried to trade up to get #FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Garrison, Shinkaruk & their 1st [6th OV].​

That Vancouver offer is legitimately terrible though. :laugh:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Kinda, but Florida wanted and needed Ekblad. Sounds like CBJ have other wants and needs besides Pulju which makes it more realistic for a trade to happen.

I still expect them to keep the pick, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Fair enough, I'm just curious as to how the roster is going to fill out.
Me too. I had it penciled in like this - with obvious deficiencies that shouldn't need pointing out but I did anyways...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Raymond*
Colborne - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Shinkaruk*
Bouma - Stajan - Bollig

t I still think we need another legit top six winger, preferably RW.
100% agree, other than settling the goaltending debacle this needs to be a primary target in the offseason - via trade or free agency. I put the * beside Shinkaruk because he has to still prove himself over a full training camp, and not pull an Akim Aliu on us.

I have no idea who that person could be... Doubt we can afford Stamkos.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Me too. I had it penciled in like this - with obvious deficiencies that shouldn't need pointing out but I did anyways...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Raymond*
Colborne - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Shinkaruk*
Bouma - Stajan - Bollig

100% agree, other than settling the goaltending debacle this needs to be a primary target in the offseason - via trade or free agency. I put the * beside Shinkaruk because he has to still prove himself over a full training camp, and not pull an Akim Aliu on us.

I have no idea who that person could be... Doubt we can afford Stamkos.

Pretty similar, more in line to what snipetype was saying. I absolutely agree on Shinkurak, he's gotta come in hungry and earn it. Can't afford to pull a Bartschi where he assumes his spot is locked up already.

As for the top line RW, I think there are plenty of legit 2nd line Wingers on the market and that can work at least on the short term.

My gut honestly tells me that like last year, we'll see big contracts thrown out originally. Then there are going to be multiple players who were waiting for higher offers left with nothing once cap space disappears.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Would the following trade even make sense from a needs perspective?

Calgary
Bouma + Jooris' rights + ?

SJS
Wingels + Reimer's rights

Reduce our F corps contracts, move excess LW to RW, get first shot at Reimer. Also, what would we need to add to balance the value? I was thinking late pick or something like Gilmour or Hickey.

A late pick wouldn't cut it. Wingels is much better than Bouma, and Jooris really isn't anything special. I'd say a 2nd.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That Vancouver offer is legitimately terrible though. :laugh:
Kinda, but Florida wanted and needed Ekblad. Sounds like CBJ have other wants and needs besides Pulju which makes it more realistic for a trade to happen.

I still expect them to keep the pick, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
There were a lot of rumors at the time that Tallon really, really wanted to trade down to take Ehlers or maybe Nylander because he wasn't all that high on Ekblad - and to be fair, a common perception prior to the draft was that Ekblad's potential was more top pairing then bonafide number one/franchise defenceman.

Canucks offer definitely wasn't great (especially in hindsight) but some similarity to the Flames and Blue Jackets now; moving up/down a tier but the difference is just a handful of spots.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
There were a lot of rumors at the time that Tallon really, really wanted to trade down to take Ehlers or maybe Nylander because he wasn't all that high on Ekblad - and to be fair, a common perception prior to the draft was that Ekblad's potential was more top pairing then bonafide number one/franchise defenceman.

Canucks offer definitely wasn't great (especially in hindsight) but some similarity to the Flames and Blue Jackets now; moving up/down a tier but the difference is just a handful of spots.

I think there is a value there as comparison, but I think 1st overall is generally seen as far more valuable than 3rd as well, which has to be taken into account.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If you can't tell by all most posts today, I'm a tad bored.

So, if we end up hiring Gulutzan, does it make it more or less likely we sign Hamhuis. This if of course predicated upon the idea that he wants to stay close to home and the Canucks don't re-sign him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If you can't tell by all most posts today, I'm a tad bored.

So, if we end up hiring Gulutzan, does it make it more or less likely we sign Hamhuis. This if of course predicated upon the idea that he wants to stay close to home and the Canucks don't re-sign him.

Only if Wideman is shipped out and Nakladal doesn't want to re-sign here.

Giordano-Brodie
Hamhuis-Hamilton
Jokipakka/Wotherspoon-Engelland

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Only if Wideman is shipped out and Nakladal doesn't want to re-sign here.

Giordano-Brodie
Hamhuis-Hamilton
Jokipakka/Wotherspoon-Engelland

Yes please.

Well, I kinda want to keep Nakladal, but I won't be nearly as heartbroken as some here if we don't.

I liked Schelmko way more than I liked Nakladal and him not getting re-signed was on the "meh" scale.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
A late pick wouldn't cut it. Wingels is much better than Bouma, and Jooris really isn't anything special. I'd say a 2nd.

Fair enough. I made a dum dum anyways in that original proposal.

Random:
Would you include Frolik in a trade to upgrade to a top 6 RW?

One idea: Frolik + 6OA for a top 6 RW? ie: Rantanen? (Need to balance value a little bit more, but basis of deal question)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Fair enough. I made a dum dum anyways in that original proposal.

Random:
Would you include Frolik in a trade to upgrade to a top 6 RW?

One idea: Frolik + 6OA for a top 6 RW? ie: Rantanen? (Need to balance value a little bit more, but basis of deal question)

I don't think Rantanen gets moved for anyone short of an Ekblad level proven young defenseman or McDavid.

I'd rather just keep Frolik and the 6th and go to free agency to find a top six RW.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Rantanen gets moved for anyone short of an Ekblad level proven young defenseman or McDavid.

I'd rather just keep Frolik and the 6th and go to free agency to find a top six RW.

Fair enough. I'm purely guessing, but I think Rantanen is probably worth something around 3rd OA in this draft?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

There are few top RW available in UFA, and I doubt Calgary can afford any of them.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
There are few top RW available in UFA, and I doubt Calgary can afford any of them.

As I said earlier in this thread:

One of Hudler, Perron, Boedker, Brower, Nielsen from the B Tier of Free Agents, as I'm not sure we have the cap room for an Okposo or Lucic.

Could even look at a C Tier Free Agent like PAP.

I think we could get away with someone who is more of a 2nd line RW than a first line.

Really depends on what is going to happen over the next couple weeks, with the Monahan/Gaudreau contracts, Colborne, Goalies, any buyouts or trades, etc.

With Smid quite possibly being injured for a big chunk of next season, if not all of it as being discussed in the other thread, that could free up a ton of cash as well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I honestly don't know. I can't think of another 18/19 year old forward who dominated the AHL the way he did.

I'm guessing based on a direct comparison to Pulujarvi. I'm thinking both might be similar players :)

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think at this point a high end RW is more of a luxury than necessity. I think we should look for a guy whose style compliments that 1st line, a big body; or more importantly someone who plays big even if they're only 6'; who is tough to play against and gets in on the forecheck is what I'd be looking for. I look at guys like Brouwer and Perron from that B grouping of FA's who are good fits, maybe even McGinn to a lesser extent as I don't see as much skill in him. There are other options via trade with the same traits too, that wouldn't require us to overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad