Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He's still an RFA so he's not going to be cheap to acquire.
I mean an unsigned RFA who looks to have priced himself out of his team is the definition of buy low. He wouldn’t come for free but he’d be far below the actual market value for his pedigree and age.

Calgary picked the right offseason to have a plethora of cap and expendable capital if they hold true to the re-tool. Some of the names shaking loose in rumors that Calgary could add are huge. Necas, Ehlers, and even are all in the rumors on top of players like Guentzel and Reinhart already, with a flood of quality defenseman as well.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I mean an unsigned RFA who looks to have priced himself out of his team is the definition of buy low. He wouldn’t come for free but he’d be far below the actual market value for his pedigree and age.

Calgary picked the right offseason to have a plethora of cap and expendable capital if they hold true to the re-tool. Some of the names shaking loose in rumors that Calgary could add are huge. Necas, Ehlers, and even are all in the rumors on top of players like Guentzel and Reinhart already, with a flood of quality defenseman as well.

Carolina not wanting to pay him what he wants doesn't mean they are going to just give him away. They are going to want something good for him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Even if we somehow added both Guentzel and Reinhart/Necas, and some D, we aren't contenders though.

Great players, and Necas is interesting depending on the price, but I don't think we're close to contention and making contention type moves is an odd stance to take at this point.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Two words: Delayed gratification
Agreed. A lesson in life and sports that people ought to appreciate more imo. As they say, good things come to those that wait.

Don’t try to rush a rebuild by making out with a grab bag of pieces that gets you nowhere. If this team wants success, they have to build it right.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agreed. A lesson in life and sports that people ought to appreciate more imo. As they say, good things come to those that wait.

Don’t try to rush a rebuild by making out with a grab bag of pieces that gets you nowhere. If this team wants success, they have to build it right.
Next year should be about integrating Coronato, Pelletier, Solovyov and Kuznetsov and Wolf into the NHL. Sell our FAs (Mang, Kuz) and potentially Sharon. As well as Marky this summer.

Hopefully we win the lottery and can snag Hagens. Or if not that Martone or one of the other top guys.

Give Todd Button some fire power to take some swings on high potential players for 2-3 years. Then we can start considering trading firsts etc.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

I mean, tell this to Sabres fans and Coyotes fans and they’ll definitely disagree and argue that if you have a shot at a potentially elite player, you take that chance 10/10 times. I definitely agree don’t rush it with older UFA’s just because, but for the right young player it’s definitely worth it to gamble on high-upside talent.

Reports out of Carolina possibly that Necas isn’t gettin resigned. That would be a huge pickup for us in free agency if true.
Necas is the absolutely ideal target. Guy is looking for a bigger role, looking to play C, near-PPG in the playoffs, elite speed and offensive chance creator. Exactly what we neeed. I have always been on team rebuild, but with Conroy making clear that we won’t be doing a scorched earth rebuild, Necas is 100% the guy you target. It won’t be cheap, but he’s the guy you pay up for. Marky++ or even Rasmus should be on the table for a guy like Necas

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
To me, you should tread carefully when the Canes are putting players on the block. Their talent evaluators and pro scouts know what they’re doing better than most organizations in this league

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Necas is the absolutely ideal target. Guy is looking for a bigger role, looking to play C, near-PPG in the playoffs, elite speed and offensive chance creator. Exactly what we neeed. I have always been on team rebuild, but with Conroy making clear that we won’t be doing a scorched earth rebuild, Necas is 100% the guy you target. It won’t be cheap, but he’s the guy you pay up for. Marky++ or even Rasmus should be on the table for a guy like Necas
As a sweetener, I think we could also take on the Kotkaniemi contract if the Canes truly want to get rid of it. It's certainly not a good one but he is all of 23 years of age and there's still a chance he might figure it out.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To me, you should tread carefully when the Canes are putting players on the block. Their talent evaluators and pro scouts know what they’re doing better than most organizations in this league

Eh. Imperfect though. Lindy and Hanifin, Kotka, etc.

I do think we should be somewhat wary about why they would put Necas out there. It's not just salary.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
As a sweetener, I think we could also take on the Kotkaniemi contract if the Canes truly want to get rid of it. It's certainly not a good one but he is all of 23 years of age and there's still a chance he might figure it out.

Imagine Kotkaniemi clicks with Huberdeau too.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Eh. Imperfect though. Lindy and Hanifin, Kotka, etc.

I do think we should be somewhat wary about why they would put Necas out there. It's not just salary.

Their cap space is so bad that they are going to lose players. That Kotkaniemi contract should have went to Necas. Montreal tried to offer sheet Sebastian Aho and then to stick it back to them Carolina sheeted Kotkaniemi, the problem is they doubled down and signed him long term before seeing how he fits in like we did with Huberdeau.... sigh.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Brought this up about a month ago. One of my main points at that time was also that his buyout is incredibly cheap for the next few years if he doesn’t rebound at all. Seems like a very low cost, low risk target even though his contract looks really ugly at first glance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brought this up about a month ago. One of my main points at that time was also that his buyout is incredibly cheap for the next few years if he doesn’t rebound at all. Seems like a very low cost, low risk target even though his contract looks really ugly at first glance.
Should be noted that the cost of a Kotkaniemi buyout doubles after July 1, 2026. As once he starts his 25 y/o season the buyout stops being a 1/3 buyout.

That said, I'd be all for adding either or both of Kotkaniemi and Necas. I wonder if they would do something built around Coleman and Markstrom. I think Coleman gives them something in teh playoffs that they are lacking, and I think Kochetkov needs at least an0other year before he's ready to be a starter, so 2 year of Markstrom would be close to idea for them IMO.

to Carolina:
G - Jakob Markstrom
W - Blake Coleman

to Calgary:
C - Jesperi Kotkaniemi
F - Martin Necas
G - Freddie Andersen

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

They offer sheeted KK and then proceeded to give him 8 years. They're no better than anyone else.

Only way I take on KK is if the Canes add at least 3 or 4 first rounders +. Guy is awful and you guys want that bust for 7 years?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
They offer sheeted KK and then proceeded to give him 8 years. They're no better than anyone else.

Only way I take on KK is if the Canes add at least 3 or 4 first rounders +. Guy is awful and you guys want that bust for 7 years?

They messed up big time with KK and certainly aren’t perfect, but they are undoubtedly better than almost everyone else lol. Amazing value drafting and great asset management to build an incredible roster without a top-10 talent to carry them. Built up the asset pool to be able to target and afford guys like Guentzel Orlov Burns etc. while supplementing them with a revolving door of high-end young guys like Jarvis/Necas/soon to be Nadeau and Morrow and Nikishin. One stronger 3rd period and they’re playing the Panthers right now and everyone thinks they’re just like Dallas.

Should be noted that the cost of a Kotkaniemi buyout doubles after July 1, 2026. As once he starts his 25 y/o season the buyout stops being a 1/3 buyout.

That said, I'd be all for adding either or both of Kotkaniemi and Necas. I wonder if they would do something built around Coleman and Markstrom. I think Coleman gives them something in teh playoffs that they are lacking, and I think Kochetkov needs at least an0other year before he's ready to be a starter, so 2 year of Markstrom would be close to idea for them IMO.

to Carolina:
G - Jakob Markstrom
W - Blake Coleman

to Calgary:
C - Jesperi Kotkaniemi
F - Martin Necas
G - Freddie Andersen
This would be the trade of the decade for us and I’d be on board, but don’t think this moves the needle for Carolina at all. Necas is far too valuable to be anchored to KK and sold for two highly-paid vets with a few years left on their deals. I think this proposal would get ripped to shreds by Canes fans and pales in comparison to many offers from other teams on the main board Necas thread.

Imo the only valuable enough piece we have to give for Necas is Rasmus Andersson. He would be the perfect Pesce replacement for them on an incredible contract and would fit their win now window while allowing them to keep Guentzel and other UFAs.

I know it would suck so badly to lose Rasmus, but he’s gonna be 28 with 2 years left and will become significantly less valuable leading into his next contract. Rasmus for Necas with ~7 yr, 7 mil extension could be fair and a big win-win for both sides imo. Hurts a ton to lose Rasmus but you gotta give to get. And then we could dip into the strong RD UFA pool to help replace Rasmus

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

they aren't gonna pay crap to ditch him they'll just buy him out, he still has 2 more years of 1/3 buyout ratio and his buyout cap hit is $835K or less per year

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

He's a 1/3 buyout. A sweetener for sure maybe, but not 3-4 first rounder territory at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't touch Jesperi in terms of a trade piece.
If the Canes buy him out, I see if he'd be interested in something really short (1 year, 2 year) as a prove-that-you-belong type deal. Calgary will have an abundance of ice time.

Necas would a player I'd definitely take a stab at in terms of costs. Honestly, sort-a-kind-a feels like Lindholm when we got him from the Canes. A guy who plays centre naturally, used mostly on the wing or as a defensive player who exploded and gave us 5.5 years of some excellent hockey. Could be the same thing. Big dude, right handed... It's all cost related. I don't expect them to give him away, but if they're looking at maybe some cap relief somewhere, veteran upgrades... that's where we'll be best suited.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
A name I keep thinking about is Chychrun. If he's inexpensive enough (acquisition and extension), I could potentially see him as a guy worth acquiring due to his skill level and age.

I'm thinking in the right situation, dude like Tanev where we question the contract and age and injury concerns, but then after we acquire him we consider him worth every penny and more.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
A name I keep thinking about is Chychrun. If he's inexpensive enough (acquisition and extension), I could potentially see him as a guy worth acquiring due to his skill level and age.

I'm thinking in the right situation, dude like Tanev where we question the contract and age and injury concerns, but then after we acquire him we consider him worth every penny and more.
Would be a perfect UFA signing, not a trade target though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad