Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Draft day moves - packaging an aging player with the 24th pick to move up.

Coleman & 24th overall (Vancouver first), and Dallas 2nd
To
Ottawa for 7th overall

Markstrom & 24th overall
To
New Jersey for 10th overall

If Rasmus is available - which i doubt he is - does he get them into the top 5 ? Anderrsson and 24 for 5th to the Yotes?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I would think (and hope) that adding Vancouvers pick to Markstrom wouldn’t be necessary to get 10 from NJ.

It’s not the end of the world, but I feel like there’s a + that makes it doable that is not as valuable as the Canucks 1st - be it Flames or Dallas 2nd.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Draft day moves - packaging an aging player with the 24th pick to move up.

Coleman & 24th overall (Vancouver first), and Dallas 2nd
To
Ottawa for 7th overall

Markstrom & 24th overall
To
New Jersey for 10th overall

If Rasmus is available - which i doubt he is - does he get them into the top 5 ? Anderrsson and 24 for 5th to the Yotes?

I don't think that Ottawa one is realistic. Jersey, maybe. I don't see Conroy doing it though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think Calgary will make the Vancouver pick.
I think that's going to be the carrot dangled for a young player.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think Calgary will make the Vancouver pick.
I think that's going to be the carrot dangled for a young player.

I think that pick will be packaged together with Markstrom and D(Rasmus Andersson), the reason I am saying Rasmus Andersson is because after seeing his end of the season interview, he can clearly see that this team is going for a rebuild and he does not want to be part of that.

Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom at 50% and Vancouver’s 1st round pick can get you a very good young player.

From the season ending interviews, Markstrom and Rasmus Andersson won’t be here, there might be others, but these 2 just don’t see committed long term.

This will be a very interesting off season for the Flames, I can’t wait until the off season.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Earliest Ras gets moved is after free agency 25'. At that point you can add a free agent and then sell Ras that things change quick, package him if not

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Yegor sees himself in the team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424-075241.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424-075241.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 4

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yegor sees himself in the team.

Yeah, guy has a contract for next year as a Calgary Flame.

I don't see Conroy trading Ras barring a trade request and subsequent good offer from someone. Other than Weegar, we have no one who is top 4 quality. Kylington could be, but he's a wildcard. It's pretty clear the Flames aren't tearing the house down which trading Ras would signify. I do agree with everyone that Markstrom is probably dealt though, my assumption is the draft.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Target Gavrikov and Sergachev?
Matt Roy?
Zegras?

Retool? Unprofit?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
knowing this is not what the Flames are going to do. I would prefer that they use the cap space to rescue capped teams by trading "future considerations" for a player and pick/prospects as opposed to going out and handing a UFA a bad contract (ie giving Reinhart a 7x10.5 M contract cause 50 goals and plays well with Huberdeau) OR going out and trading picks/prospects/players for an established "star" player.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
The Flames will be looking for an experienced D and C, but I don't think it's Zegras

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I will be incredibly upset if Zegras is a target

Depends on whether he could be had for a crazy discount. One of the things I never minded about Treliving is how he'd pay below market for an RFA and then he'd have above market on the RFA due to a very good contract extension.

Shouldn’t have put Sergachev on here as Tampa isn’t ever trading him like literally

It was more a nod to the sudden influx of Russian players into Calgary. Unlikely for Sergachev, sure, but not impossible. Cap casualty, maybe. But I think the rising salary cap will help address that for Tampa going forward.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
because?

Legit question.
A handful of reasons in addition to my opinion that I simply don’t believe he’s a very good player. Nor is he a player I would choose to make an important piece of a team with goals of being a contender.

Largely, I think Zary will be a better C than Zegras long-term, and I worry a move for a player more established at C will impact Zary’s development at his proper position (i.e. force him back to the wing) - as we know Kadri and Backlund aren’t making that shift.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
A handful of reasons in addition to my opinion that I simply don’t believe he’s a very good player. Nor is he a player I would choose to make an important piece of a team with goals of being a contender.

Largely, I think Zary will be a better C than Zegras long-term, and I worry a move for a player more established at C will impact Zary’s development at his proper position (i.e. force him back to the wing) - as we know Kadri and Backlund aren’t making that shift.
Understandable then. I'm less optimistic about Zary, but I'm also wrong often enough that it doesn't matter.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah - Zegras should not be a center in the NHL in my opinion, and is certainly not an asset we should be paying big time assets to acquire.

I get the appeal with the player due to his immense amount of skill and that's something we desperately lack, but that's a kid who cheats the game, and quite honestly comes across as a selfish (me first) hockey player. He may very well mature as a player and begin focusing on the small details of the game that matter but as it stands now that's not a risk I am taking unless it's at a heavily discounted price.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad