Arizona Coyotes are the Seattle Kraken / Florida Panthers of the 23-24 season

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Their own gm said he doesn't see them in the playoff hunt. So no.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I just can't see any scenario they get in barring a damn miracle. Edmonton, LA, Vegas, Colorado, Dallas and Seattle are more or less set. I suppose you could argue Seattle overachieved but even if they did, you have the next lineup of Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota and Nashvillie who all look stronger to sneak in over Arizona.

St. Louis is something of a question mark as is Winnipeg, which is where I'd slot the Coyotes.

There's just no way the pull ahead of those teams, especially not with that defense.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As improved as I think they will be, a wildcard spot is still a fantasy.

Last season they were a minus 71 goal differential. If they improve that by a whopping 50 goals that would have moved them all the way up to 22nd overall based on last season.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Two years ago, I said Florida was the deepest team in the league.

Last year, I said Seattle was potentially the deepest team in the league.

Heading into this season, I have high hopes for the Arizona Coyotes. For clarity, I do not think they will be the powerhouses that the Kraken and Panthers were.

But, the Yotes IMO have put together a squad that has a huge chance of being a huge dark horse IF their young players can continue to progress and Cooley turns into the player I think he will be...

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Zucker - Cooley - Kerfoot
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Crouse
Carcone - McBaine - Guenther

Moser - Dumba
Valimaki - Durzi
Stetcher - Brown

Vej
Ingram

Soderstrom and Guenther taking big steps.

This team is going to be a tasty little fun group if they can stay healthy.
I want to clarify that you’ve had some of the most egregious takes on these boards also. You aren’t a messiah. However, I’ve already posted on these boards I think Arizona is the sleeper WC team this year so we are in agreement.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I just can't see any scenario they get in barring a damn miracle. Edmonton, LA, Vegas, Colorado, Dallas and Seattle are more or less set. I suppose you could argue Seattle overachieved but even if they did, you have the next lineup of Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota and Nashvillie who all look stronger to sneak in over Arizona.

St. Louis is something of a question mark as is Winnipeg, which is where I'd slot the Coyotes.

There's just no way the pull ahead of those teams, especially not with that defense.

No, Yotes could definitely get in if Cooley gets to about a point a game his rookie year (so two scoring lines), if Hayton / Keller / Schmaltz play the whole year like they finished last year, and if Dumba also returns to top pairing form or close to it (unlikely but stranger things have happened ie Ghostbear). I think all of those scenarios put together are enough to get us to within a few points of the final WC I think.

But do I think all of the above scenarios taking place is likely? No, not really. But it's possible, maybe like a 15-20% chance or something, idk. To me, our roster is about as good as Seattle's, if they overachieved so can we or any other team you mentioned really. Look at what NJ did last year right? Either way I'm not holding my breath for next year, I don't think many (if any) Yotes fans are either.

Very dark horse sleeper sounds about right, but also no one would be surprised if we stayed at 70-75 points either. Far more important is how we develop the young guys and if we can continue to play hard every game like we've been consistently doing under Tourigny.

Again though, looking forward to seeing you all again in 2-3 years or so. Unless there's a damn miracle this year ha

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No they aren't

AZ is awful and they will have another horrendous season this upcoming year

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think the Yotes will be more competitive but obviously not anywhere near contending for anything. I think they will be an extremely annoying team to play in the second half of the season when teams have clinched a playoff spot and don't want to play that hard haha.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Missing a top pairing defensemen and a top 4 defensemen for this year. If they had 2 defensemen upgrades like that. Then I could see playoffs and making some noise.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lol not with that defence.

Also no guarantee Cooley steps right in and plays like a top 6 C. He surely has the potential but I think you're overestimating him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Our young guns all took a step forward with Tourigny last season. If that continues, I could see this team in the mix and just missing out, and taking another big step forward the season after.

Also, expect a breakout year from Hayton.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
kermit-kermit-the-frog.gif

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I think they could flirt with a wildcard spot.

They had an excellent home record last year and showed they were capable of tangling with some pretty top notch teams. At home they were roughly on par with clubs like the Flames, the Preds, the Pens, the Islanders. But their road record was an absolutely abysmal 7-25-9.

They're actually a pretty fun squad to watch. Add Cooley to the mix. Their blueline isn't great, but they brought in a couple of versatile defensive forwards. Vejmelka is pretty solid.

I don't think anyone will accuse them of being a top team, but if they can shore up their play away from home, I can definitely see them jockeying late in the year for a playoff position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad