Confirmed Trade: [ARI/TB] Louis Domingue for Michael Leighton and Tye McGinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well, the two trades that brought in vets like Hammer and Stepan and now this.
It seems like they're loading up but the recent results are saying they should be selling.
My post wasn't meant as an insult. I'm legitimately confused about what they're doing.

This trade isn't loading up on vets. It's moving on from Domingue. He was easily outplayed by Wedgewood for the backup role and apparently the team didn't want to pay Domingue's $1m salary in the AHL. Leighton looks like a throw-in to fill an AHL goalie slot. He's unlikely to get a callup unless there's an injury.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I can't believe Leighton is still playing, he is only 36. He has been drafted in 1999, started playing in the NHL in 2003 but has only played 111 games in the big show so far. So in 15 years he have been active in the NHL, he averaged 7.4 games / season. Even by backup standards, that's low.

As someone who watched Leighton surrender a near-side post, no-angle shot goal in a SC OT game to lose the cup for the Flyers, I feel comfortable saying that 7.4 games a season for Leighton is about 7.3 too many.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, the two trades that brought in vets like Hammer and Stepan and now this.
It seems like they're loading up but the recent results are saying they should be selling.
My post wasn't meant as an insult. I'm legitimately confused about what they're doing.

Not really a mystery.

The team has a LOT of young talent. After last season the team made a significant purge getting rid of the "old guard" and made some significant additions getting a new coaching staff and an experienced C from a winning team, a stalwart defensive D with multiple Stanley Cups, and their new starting goalie. The expectation/hope was to have the new leadership help lead the young team to better results. And while Hammer is a bit old for the rebuild he is a fantastic mentor to the young team AND is a friend to franchise player OEL.

So far the results have been...less than stellar. A slow start was expected. Obviously not this slow (awful) but one of the more knowledgeable posters on the Coyotes board predicted a 5 -13 - 2 start and improving each quarter.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That's because the two are in direct contrast to eachother.

They want to start winning with their young players. They added depth and experience at every position (Raanta, Stepan, Hjalmarsson) to try to improve this season.

The on-ice performance has been a complete unexpected disaster. Don't expect it to continue to be this bad. A healthy starting goalie, vets getting comfortable in their new situations, and some team chemistry, and this team can play.
making trades isn't how you win. its done by drafting and developing.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
What are the chances Leighton plays some games with the Yotes given none of their Goalies have been good.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Surprised we didn't get a pick back or some retention. Domingue is making 1.1 to be a minor league goalie, we sent 400k back but that's a lot of cheese for someone who has been awful in his last few NHL starts.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
What are the chances Leighton plays some games with the Yotes given none of their Goalies have been good.

Chances are very small. He's behind Raanta, Wedgewood, Hill, Mishka and Langhamer on the depth chart.

Arizona had no room for Domingue in Tucson so I really don't know how they'll handle Leighton.

Someone suggested on Twitter that he could back loaned back to Syracuse which could make sense.

Have Leighton and Domingue share the crease in Syracuse while Ingram gets pro experience in the ECHL.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
As someone who watched Leighton surrender a near-side post, no-angle shot goal in a SC OT game to lose the cup for the Flyers, I feel comfortable saying that 7.4 games a season for Leighton is about 7.3 too many.

You could also remember his 3 SO against Mtl and his outstanding performance against Boston for the comeback. Leighton is not a NHL starter and has never been, but man why are Flyers fans such dicks towards him. He came out of no where and played above expectations. Without his great play there would be no SCF for the Flyers in 2010. Would've lost to Boston.à

Absurd goals happen to every goaltender. It just happened to him at the worst possible moment. It sucks, but you can't only look at this. I clearly remember Brodeur scoring on himself in the SCF. Shit can happen to anyone.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You could also remember his 3 SO against Mtl and his outstanding performance against Boston for the comeback. Leighton is not a NHL starter and has never been, but man why are Flyers fans such dicks towards him. He came out of no where and played above expectations. Without his great play there would be no SCF for the Flyers in 2010. Would've lost to Boston.à

Absurd goals happen to every goaltender. It just happened to him at the worst possible moment. It sucks, but you can't only look at this. I clearly remember Brodeur scoring on himself in the SCF. **** can happen to anyone.

He played ok in the rounds leading up to the finals. Our success that year had more to do with the team in front of him than Leighton himself. He wasnt bad in the games in the playoffs, but he wasnt great either. He then promptly fell apart in the finals. The no angle shot was just the cherry on top.

Speaking as someone who played the position at a high level, no angle shots are a goalie no-no, there's nothing else really to it. Letting in happen in a game of that importance makes it that much worse.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
if domingue gets playing time in tb, he will be fantastic.

Domingue is much better in Tampa than he was with the Coyotes.
Same as Kuemper last season, who was much better in LA than with the Coyotes.

Bad trades from Chayka, who replaced Domingue with Wedgewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad