Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
This was a good trade for both teams. DeAngelo could be very good for a very long time if he can get his maturity up but he was very good for us last year on a team that would have struggled in the AHL a lot of nights last year. He has offensive potential and did not look out of step defensively most of the time. When he made mistakes they would be enough to have Tippet give him the doghouse treatment. This is one of those trades where the Coyotes win today and get something they badly need, and where the Rangers win because they get something the badly need. they Yotes have a potential 1c and goalie, the Rangers get 2 prospects they need and some cap relief. Good trade for both teams really.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
whats up with the rangers? are they in a mini rebuild, whats the point in sending away a 27 year old stepan when youre in a win now mode looking at lundqvists age. why get a prospect that might have just as high of a ceiling?

Rangers are a team that whether they're contenders or not, they need to get younger. They need to focus on the future because clearly they aren't having any luck contending right now with Lundqvist and personally I don't think they're anywhere near winning a cup right now

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Rangers are a team that whether they're contenders or not, they need to get younger. They need to focus on the future because clearly they aren't having any luck contending right now with Lundqvist and personally I don't think they're anywhere near winning a cup right now

Rangers were the 8th youngest team last year, they bought out a 33 year old Girardi and lost a 27 year old Stepan for a 21 year old DeAngelo. Good try though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think the Rangers and Arizona can do anything else with each other for a while

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Yeah. "Need to get younger" is beyond hyperbole, but if we get younger, we will be so much healthier for it. The bulk of our vets are "young veterans," so perpetuating that paradigm is only positive. As players like Nash, Staal, Zuccs and ultimately Hank leave the team, our youthfulness this coming season will only help us in the long run.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
According to our GM we are "Rebuilding on the Fly", which who knows what that actually means.

They traded Step because they didn't like the way his game was trending, he was making 6.5 and his NTC was about to kick in.

It means you are rebuilding but aren't trying to suck, it may work for you, it did not work in Toronto when Burke tried to do it

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're replenishing youth, but it doesn't mean we're not trying to win. We'll have to wait and see what Gorton does with the cap space.

If the Rangers weren't going to compete they would have kept Girardi and looked to deal Lundqvist retained.

Plus, this had more to do with Stepan's contract than any sort of rebuild. I guarantee you he's still a Ranger if he didn't have a NMC coming up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do Rangers fans think DeAngelo will get NHL time? If so, what do you see his role as?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Do Rangers fans think DeAngelo will get NHL time? If so, what do you see his role as?

He'll 100% get NHL time. Role depends on what Gorton does this offseason as far as Smith, Shattenkirk or other RHD signings. If Shattenkirk isn't signed the power play will likely run through him. Sad to say as of right now he's our best RD.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

Depends on him really. Right now we have McD, Staal, Skjei, Holden, and Klein (rumored to be contemplating retirement) signed. I'm hoping we at least resign Smith and there is, of course, Kevin Shattenkirk...we'll see what happens there.

We also added two young defensemen after the season in Alexei Bereglazov and Neal Pionk, and have Ryan Graves in the pipeline.

I'm assuming DeAngelo is better/more ready than the latter 3, but I admittedly haven't seen any of them play. If DeAngelo can come in and beat those 3 guys out, he could challenge for a spot in the lineup almost immediately. I also have to think the Rangers are going to give him every chance to succeed after giving up their best center for him.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think both teams got what they wanted.

The more I think about it, I have to question the move on AZ's part. Are they going to compete in the next 4yrs? For this to work out for them, to be a good trade for them, they have to.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

The Ranger are in a constant state of win now mode but remain one of the youngest teams in the league, eventually that will pay off.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I think both teams got what they wanted.

The more I think about it, I have to question the move on AZ's part. Are they going to compete in the next 4yrs? For this to work out for them, to be a good trade for them, they have to.

Agreed. I understand why AZ did it...they have to start being competitive at some point. They have a ton of young pieces and could afford to make a deal like this. They just have to hope that it brings them success sooner rather than later.

On the flip side, the Rangers need to hope that Andersson at least becomes what Stepan was for them and DeAngelo starts paying dividends almost immediately as well.

Pretty good/fair trade right now though, IMO. Both teams got what they wanted and needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad