Contract Termination: [ARI] F Adam Ruzicka contract terminated by the Coyotes

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That part about PR is what worries me. Did the Coyotes just give a disincentive to any other players in that org to seek help?
I think that's one way to look at it however I don't think it's definitive if it does that or not in reality. It's a shot across the bow saying if you need help come to us or we will not tolerate it

Reactions: Canadienna

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So one thing I don't understand is why do some players get the chance to enter the player's assistance program while others have their contract terminated?
Some players either quietly accept or get pressured into accepting they need help and enter the program while the others post fun story on their insta damaging their reputation forever. Pretty easy.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Some players either quietly accept or get pressured into accepting they need help and enter the program while the others post fun story on their insta damaging their reputation forever. Pretty easy.

I guess what I would hope is that after an event like this the team at least gives the player an opportunity to join the PAP and not void their contract.

And if they decline, then they can terminate the contract.

Reactions: Kaizen

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Totally. Kuznetsov did the same thing and even tested positive for cocaine and he's still under contract.

Ruzicka, to my knowledge, didn't even test positive. He was just dumb enough to post a video indicating he might have done cocaine but that's no proof for anything and even if it was I still don't think that's a reason for contract termination.

So I agree I don't think the PA is gonna accept this.

Kuznetsov is still under contract, but I’m pretty certain he has been suspended without pay. No update on if and when he might be reinstated.

So one thing I don't understand is why do some players get the chance to enter the player's assistance program while others have their contract terminated?

I understand that not every player may be willing to enter the program, but is that the distinction?

I suspect with Ruzicka he’s not being terminated for having a substance abuse issue. He’s being terminated for voluntarily posting a social media video of himself appearing to do drugs—conduct causing damaging PR for his employer, the Coyotes.

Will be interesting to see if the NHLPA files a grievance, and if so will the Team’s argument be upheld by the arbitrator.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Seems like recording yourself doing cocaine isn't a great idea if you want to maintain your job with an NHL team.

But I'm sure he'll find a new home in KHL.

The khl will welcome him with open arms. They're still waiting on Kuzy coming home

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kuznetsov is still under contract, but I’m pretty certain he has been suspended without pay. No update on if and when he might be reinstated.

I suspect with Ruzicka he’s not being terminated for having a substance abuse issue. He’s being terminated for voluntarily posting a social media video of himself appearing to do drugs—conduct causing damaging PR for his employer, the Coyotes.

Will be interesting to see if the NHLPA files a grievance, and if so will the Team’s argument be upheld by the arbitrator.

Thanks. That does make sense. I still think the PA is gonna come in on this though...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
i expect the NHLPA to go nuts on this

the player assistance program exists... so i do think the termination will end up being reversed at some point
Having a drug problem doesn’t get your contract terminated. Posting a video of yourself online doing drugs gets your contract terminated. It’s the most clear cut example of detrimental conduct. If you were explaining what that was, you’d probably explain a scenario a lot like this.

Didn’t Stoll and Richards get their contracts terminated for wild, drug fueled shenanigans?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Having a drug problem doesn’t get your contract terminated. Posting a video of yourself online doing drugs gets your contract terminated. It’s the most clear cut example of detrimental conduct. If you were explaining what that was, you’d probably explain a scenario a lot like this.

Didn’t Stoll and Richards get their contracts terminated for wild, drug fueled shenanigans?
Nah, he was a reclamation project
Doing something stupid while on the reclamation project got him terminated.

If he was a regular, they would have asked him to go to rehab temporarily

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
You can add LeVeon Bell to your list. He left two naked hookers in his house when he left for the gym. They stole about $500K in cash and jewelry he had laying around the house. The 911 call was posted online - - it was hilarious. That was a very expensive threesome. Lol.
Lol this is the most basketball American thing I've heard in awhile. No wonder a vast majority go into bankruptcy.

• Haha
Reactions: jd22 and McGarnagle

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Lol this is the most basketball American thing I've heard in awhile. No wonder a vast majority go into bankruptcy.
LeVeon Bell was a football player. He spent his best years with the Pittsburgh Steelers, drafted out of Michigan State. In fact, he pulled another stupid move apart from getting robbed by the hookers. He turned down a $60M contract extension from Pittsburgh, sat out an entire season holding out for more money, and ended up signing a contract worth half that with the NY Jets. Sitting out for a year pretty much ruined him as a player, so the Jets dumped him and he only received a small amount of that contract - - NFL contracts are usually not all guaranteed money.

Bell was several pancakes shy of a full stack.

Last edited:

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The only way this makes sense is if he refused the PAP. It was just the dumbest thing to do, and everyone's getting their coke puns in, but this is a human being that has an obvious problem. I hope he straightens his shit out and not mortgage his entire career over doing something that gets kids kicked out of college fairly regularly.

He still has a little bit of potential, so if he's actually remorseful and learned something, he's worth a minimum contract for a bot 6 tryout. Maybe he dgaf and wants to go back to Europe anyway and this was a quick out for him, who knows.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Stupid stupid move. You're on a new team and have a chance to show you've got the talent people thought.

Then to do this? What part of him thought it would be a funny or good idea?

I'd like to see him get another flier with someone else this season, but this really puts that in doubt.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Stoll was a standup teammate who took the fall for a large group of that team who were… indulging. Dude took it on the chin for his buddies.

Richards was a lot more complicated… as he got caught with some pain pills at the Canadian/US border, which gave the NHLPA the ammunition they needed to arrange a buyout number. Guy is gonna be paid by the kings for the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad