Eklund Rumor: Are you kidding me? Tyler Johnson for Jeff Skinner

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Tyler Johnson for Jeff Skinner?
I am not sure how Tampa makes this happen with the money, but the rumor is out there for sure...Tyler Johnson was put on waivers again...that could mean something.

This has to be an early April’s Fool Joke doesn’t it?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
TB looking to shed cap by taking on one of the worst contracts in the league. At least make an attempt at being reasonable if you try and make things up Eklund
Depends if Buffalo is willing to withhold though. They could withhold enough on Skinner that Tampa savea a small amount on the cap and hope that Skinner can refind his scoring touch with them. Buffalo considers because Johnson's contract has fewer years left on it.

Still super unlikely, and it's Eklund so I assume it's nothing, but it's not as completely illogical as some are making out here.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Depends if Buffalo is willing to withhold though. They could withhold enough on Skinner that Tampa savea a small amount on the cap and hope that Skinner can refind his scoring touch with them. Buffalo considers because Johnson's contract has fewer years left on it.

Still super unlikely, and it's Eklund so I assume it's nothing, but it's not as completely illogical as some are making out here.

They would be retaining over 4 mil for six years to give tb some cap relief. Neither player is worth doing this for. Not happening.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I am not sure how Tampa makes this happen with the money, but the rumor is out there for sure...Tyler Johnson was put on waivers again...that could mean something.

This is like Makar for Hughes. It’s just stupid baseless drivel. Just Wow Eklund.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I don't doubt he has a source, but it's almost like one of those rumours you put out that are deliberately absurd, so that you can figure out who is leaking things to the media, and if you can trust the people around. I wouldn't even bother reporting something like this if I was a credible "Insider".

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This is like Makar for Hughes. It’s just stupid baseless drivel. Just Wow Eklund.

How anyone can take him seriously enough to post a thread on it is beyond me. The only thing more astounding is how this site keeps protecting, and thus legitimizing, him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It'd pretty much have to be full retention. I don't get this for Buffalo, but then again, I don't get anything in Buffalo.

I could see the Sabres retaining on his contract for as long as Johnson’s contract is, making the cap negligible for Tampa. The problem is that Buffalo has to retain for the entirety of the contract.

That’s something I think they need to change in the next CBA. It would make wheeling and dealing more interesting if a team can either retain for only X amount of years, and/or have an amount retained yearly (say a team retains 20% one year, then retains 10% the next, then retains 13% in the third year)

Reactions: hmc1987

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I could see the Sabres retaining on his contract for as long as Johnson’s contract is, making the cap negligible for Tampa. The problem is that Buffalo has to retain for the entirety of the contract.

That’s something I think they need to change in the next CBA. It would make wheeling and dealing more interesting if a team can either retain for only X amount of years, and/or have an amount retained yearly (say a team retains 20% one year, then retains 10% the next, then retains 13% in the third year)

The problem is that Tampa is looking to clear ALL of Johnson's cap not replace it, this proposal makes no sense.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The problem is that Tampa is looking to clear ALL of Johnson's cap not replace it, this proposal makes no sense.

I know that. That’s why Eklund is silly. And you know if this ridiculous proposal he made had Skinner at like, $2M a year (or even the current contracts reversed) the same problems would occur.

Now it’s a different story if it was Gourde and Johnson for Skinner, but Tampa still has problems then. Because even though they save $1.1M, they pay more for one person and still need to replace the second person for the difference or less, making the money saved negligible (unless like, Katchouk or Raddysh or whoever step up)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
How anyone can take him seriously enough to post a thread on it is beyond me. The only thing more astounding is how this site keeps protecting, and thus legitimizing, him.

The site has an "Eklund" thread tag to tell you it's nonsense. What more do you want? See a thread tag you don't like then ignore the thread

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
They would be retaining over 4 mil for six years to give tb some cap relief. Neither player is worth doing this for. Not happening.
Sure, but if they don't move Skinner, they are on the hook for all 9 mil for those 6 years. So it's still an improvement if they've given up on Skinner contributing and they are worried he will only get harder to move as time goes by.

But as I said, it's still highly unlikely that they do it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

:laugh: :laugh::laugh: Eklund is a tool, First off Tyler Johnson has 3 years left @ $5,000,000 while jeff Skinner has 6 years left @ $9,000,000 there's noway Tampa can afford to take on an additional $4,000,000 in salary. Tampa is already $3,516,666 in the hole going into this summer and still needs to resign 8 more players.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

It's almost as if the keyboardist of a failed 90's band that still does occasional gigs at bookstores has no real NHL connections and is just making this stuff up for clicks.

Also, his name is Dwayne. Dwayne Keith Klessel. Can we please stop sullying Pelle Eklund's good name?

Call him Dwayne.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The site has an "Eklund" thread tag to tell you it's nonsense. What more do you want? See a thread tag you don't like then ignore the thread
It's kinda ironic that the only time I ever even hear about Eklund is via hfboards. Never been to his site, haven't heard anyone else really talk about him outside of his site.

I think hfboards is his main audience.

At least from my personal view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad