Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Only if they ice him for game 1 of every series.

download (2).png

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Now it’s 2 years? What happens when it doesn’t happen then? Another 2 years?

Their core 4 will not get it done unless they change the way they play in the playoffs. They are soft as charmin, and will not do what it takes to win multiple series.

Just body them up again this playoffs, and they will fold again.
Of course, unless you think they can contend with dead cap Brodie and a struggling JT despite what some stat watchers will tell you about him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I look at their D and I have a question. Who's moving the puck? Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk either. They have Morgan Rielly who excels at it of course, and Liljigren seems to be solid at it. I feel like Toronto's transition offense with the talent they have should be some of the best in the league if they had dmen more capable of moving the puck quick.

Of course, please let me know if I'm off base and I'm looking at a problem that's not there.

moving the puck is one part of the game. bruins can clog the center ice as well as anyone in the league at the moment even without Chara and Bergeron leading the charge from D and F pov.

Leafs' problem isn't moving the puck from the back end; its playing against clogged neutral zone and making plays in tight spaces with a tight checking game. Leafs also had issues with opposition forwards having an easier time in teh Leafs zone with just "pokechecks" from the Leafs D; which IMO has been addressed to a certain extent by the addition of Lybushkin and Edmundson who will play/ lay body and clear the crease.

PMDs are good but defense is also part of hockey. McAvoy excels at moving the puck and playing hardnosed defense and Bruins also have two stud goalies at least for this season.

I am a huge Leafs homer, but I have zero hesitance in admitting that Leafs' high AAV players do not produce in meaningful games or go quiet when time/space is taken away from them. Leafs will go as far as Matthews, Marner, Nylander and to a certain extent Tavares will take them.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Are the Leafs Cup Contenders?

That's the million dollar question. I hope so but...

They remind me of the early O.V. Washington Capital teams.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Hopefully they go out in the first round
No chance !

Now it’s 2 years? What happens when it doesn’t happen then? Another 2 years?

Their core 4 will not get it done unless they change the way they play in the playoffs. They are soft as charmin, and will not do what it takes to win multiple series.

Just body them up again this playoffs, and they will fold again.
Bert, Eddie and Tie Jr. Are playoffs players . They will lead the way!!

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
They have filled some seriously needed missing pieces by adding Domi, Bertuzzi and a couple other gritty guys. No longer are they the softest team in the NHL which used to cost them serious games.

HOWEVER, their defense is extremely suspect. Actually not suspect, its pretty bad and will cost them playoff games.

Reactions: authentic

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Aside from Matthew’s scoring all the goals, Toronto has seemed a little quiet this year. Maybe they finally surprise in the playoffs. They’re due. They’re more talented than their playoff results show.
I agree. Talent is not an issue with the Leafs. From top to bottom they need to all play playoff style hockey as much as possible.

Hopefully the Florida series last year taught them that. I’ve seen the leafs play many shifts, periods and even complete games this year where, if they did that in the playoffs, they’d do well.

It’s just a question of what team is gonna show up.

Reactions: tucker3434

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
It seems more likely they lose in the first round to Boston, Florida or the Rangers. The depth and the defense are not particularly cup-worthy.
The team depth has actually been a pleasant surprise over the last few weeks

Marner, Edmundson, Rielly, Liljegren, Jarnkrok all out and they’ve played better than I’d expected

They do need to find a more gritty game this year than they did last year. Especially against Florida

Unfortunately there is no ideal path. Florida and Boston are opponents that will give them all kinds of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad