Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
This will never not crack me up.

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I look at their D and I have a question. Who's moving the puck? Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk either. They have Morgan Rielly who excels at it of course, and Liljigren seems to be solid at it. I feel like Toronto's transition offense with the talent they have should be some of the best in the league if they had dmen more capable of moving the puck quick.

Of course, please let me know if I'm off base and I'm looking at a problem that's not there.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I look at their D and I have a question. Who's moving the puck? Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk either. They have Morgan Rielly who excels at it of course, and Liljigren seems to be solid at it. I feel like Toronto's transition offense with the talent they have should be some of the best in the league if they had dmen more capable of moving the puck quick.

Of course, please let me know if I'm off base and I'm looking at a problem that's not there.

Usually it's the opposite problem.

They're not strong enough in front of their net. The defence gets pushed around and the whistles go away in the playoffs (at least in Toronto's history).

Ideally, they'd add defencemen who can both move the puck and be physical but that's an extremely rare breed. Usually puck moving defencemen aren't physical - so it's pick your poison.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Of course they are contenders. Don’t let their history and insufferable fan base cloud your judgment. They have a lot of skill.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My point was WC1 might be ideal because it can go through the Metro.

WC1 can go through the Metro.
Atlantic 3 can not.

I don't get what part of that is confusing. There's currently a 3 point difference between the 2 teams. At the time I made the post, there was a 1 point difference.
Looks like WC1 is going through the Atlantic, doesn’t look like that will change.

It is a true statement
It’s say 2018 , plan the parade, doesn’t look like it was true.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This will never not crack me up.
You're right, their careers are over, no chance for them to ever win a cup. If they can't win in their first 8 years they will never win, it's over.

As for this year, no they're not contenders, in 2 years when Tavares' deal is expired they will be. Leafs just need to focus on getting better as individuals and as a team, find a way to keep Domi/Bert, and in 2 years go all in. Use that 16M from JT and Brodie and fix the blue line + cap rising, add a couple solid players and go for it.

Reactions: Leafidelity

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
You're right, their careers are over, no chance for them to ever win a cup. If they can't win in their first 8 years they will never win, it's over.

As for this year, no they're not contenders, in 2 years when Tavares' deal is expired they will be. Leafs just need to focus on getting better as individuals and as a team, find a way to keep Domi/Bert, and in 2 years go all in. Use that 16M from JT and Brodie and fix the blue line + cap rising, add a couple solid players and go for it.
Nothing gives reason to believ that the core would be ready for paycheck of their real worth.

= there will never be a team that could win. With luck, its possible to win a series, with huge luck even two in row. Other than that, it would require miracle.

So no, thwy are not.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It is a true statement
Meanwhile, six years later...

Usually it's the opposite problem.

They're not strong enough in front of their net. The defence gets pushed around and the whistles go away in the playoffs (at least in Toronto's history).

Ideally, they'd add defencemen who can both move the puck and be physical but that's an extremely rare breed. Usually puck moving defencemen aren't physical - so it's pick your poison.
They did add Klingberg last summer... :D

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nah. Theyre a tier below. A team that would need a lot to go right for them to win it all. I actually thought last year's team was close a contender after their deadline acquisitions. I feel like this year's team is a fair bit worse.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

I think it is an issue now. But that’s because they seem to have tried to fill a different defensive gap. They went out and got dmen that can win more 50/50 battles in the corners and in front of the net. That came at the expense of moving the puck.

Simply…they have no chance at being really good at either. Will trying to even it out help? Not sure.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Now it’s 2 years? What happens when it doesn’t happen then? Another 2 years?

Their core 4 will not get it done unless they change the way they play in the playoffs. They are soft as charmin, and will not do what it takes to win multiple series.

Just body them up again this playoffs, and they will fold again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad