TSN: Are the Sens solid enough in goal for next season? [YOST]

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Carey Price was never put on waivers, so I'm not sure how to answer this.

It's pretty obvious he meant that he was left exposed to Seattle.

And let's not forget that a fair number of Habs fans were fully open to trading Price during the season when it looked like Allen was adequate in net.

Price went nuclear for 3 rounds in the playoffs, but that's like Sens fans saying Bobby Ryan earned his entire paycheque for his strong playoffs in the 2017 run.

I'm not saying Price is Bobby Ryan, obviously, but to disregard his more average play during the regular season is just pulling the blanket over your eyes.

The fact of the matter is that no, Montreal doesn't have concerns in net, but, I'm sure they do have some concerns about spending $14M on their goalies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They did attempt to offload him for free in expansion. Somewhat comparable, but not waivers.

They made zero attempt to "unload him." They took a calculated risk that his hip and knee injuries coupled with his double digit cap hit would make him an unattractive choice for the Kraken and by exposing him they were able to protect Jake Allen who most certainly would have got claimed.

Reactions: aragorn

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The fact of the matter is that no, Montreal doesn't have concerns in net, but, I'm sure they do have some concerns about spending $14M on their goalies.

All I said is that Montreal doesn't have concerns in net. I also don't think they have concerns about spending $14 million in net either. They signed both of the contracts in question, so obviously it was by design.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They made zero attempt to "unload him." They took a calculated risk that his hip and knee injuries coupled with his double digit cap hit would make him an unattractive choice for the Kraken and by exposing him they were able to protect Jake Allen who most certainly would have got claimed.
By putting him up as available, they were willing to lose him for free, that's all that really matters or can be taken at face value. His 10.5 mil cap hit for the next 5 years and 1-2 mil performance level is the more likely reason why he wasn't taken.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
By putting him up as available, they were willing to lose him for free, that's all that really matters or can be taken at face value. His 10.5 mil cap hit for the next 5 years and 1-2 mil performance level is the more likely reason why he wasn't taken.

How is that "all that really matters?"

The question was, do the Montreal Canadiens have question marks in a goal and the answer, to any one with a clue, is that they do not.

They have an All-Star goaltender that just backstopped them to the Stanley Cup final and excellent back up in Jake Allen.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Sens do:naughty:
And FLA with Driedger at .927 and even BOB at .906 is not much of a question mark duo

Driedger signed with Seattle. They've got a rookie Spencer Knight to replace him. And while he looks like an outstanding rookie, he's still a rookie.

Assen na yo!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How is that "all that really matters?"

The question was, do the Montreal Canadiens have question marks in a goal and the answer, to any one with a clue, is that they do not.

They have an All-Star goaltender that just backstopped them to the Stanley Cup final and excellent back up in Jake Allen.
I said it's all that really matters because the rest of what you'd said was speculation, whereas the important part was that they offered him up for free.

That's the dispute. They do have question marks in goal because their high priced starting goaltender takes up like 15% of their cap while giving replacement level performance the last 4 seasons, other than one playoff run.

There's definitely a questions mark there. Was the playoff run an aberration or is he about to return to the form he was 4 or so years ago and get back to being an all star goalie?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You have to be Nostradamus to answer this. Is Gustavsson good enough to spell relief if as and when Murray craps himself? Is Murray gonna bounce back? Is Forsberg a viable option if Murray craps?

Maybe? Probably? Perhaps?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It is a team game XSpyrit obviously but when you’re in the corner to save a shot from a guy coming down the wing I have a hard time blaming the team.

I watched every game last season. Defense absolutely improved but lets not act like the goalies were playing well either, they were painful to watch and got on a couple of memes.

You didn't quote me so didn't see this until now

Yes, goalies started the season a bit like everyone else (rusty and out of synch) but the overall team defense was just NOT NHL level for a while. It started improving gradually as soon as Artem Zub integrated the lineup and also other changes/adjustments were made.

You have to note that all goalies give up what looks to be "bad goals". It looked like we have given up too many because we were simply overwhelmed but as soon as we had a NHL structure, you saw it cut down drastically.

I have played in different levels and even in lower levels, you can clearly see the difference between playing behind some kind of structure and the absence of it. It's fun with no structure because when you make the saves, it looks like you're an Hasek reincarnation, but most of the time, you'll get shelled. When most of the shots you get are point blank chances and odd-men rushes, good f***ing luck lol

The GM and coaching staff made personnel mistakes but they also had real excuses. There was again a high roster turnover and no real training camp to get these hockey systems working, on top of not playing for 10 months (for most players)

Everybody probably deserves a mulligan for those first ~15 games (less for the GM IMO as his job is to have foresight). As I said, it started to improve with Zub in the lineup but it still took a while to fix team defense on the road

Goalies stats after February 12th

Murray 0.901 SV% (3 road games destroyed this, he had 0.928 in the 12 other games)
Hogberg 0.909 SV% (only played 3 more games in Feb, none in March and 4 more in april when the team was "fixed")
Daccord 0.897 SV% (started playing at the end of February)

Reactions: Rodzilla

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN AND YOU'RE NOT SURE HOW TO ANSWER BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT I'M RIGHT.
I think the confusion lies between him waiving his NMC so that he didn't need to be protected for the expansion draft vs the team placing him on waivers for any team to be able to claim him. The former happened, the latter did not.

Now maybe we can get back to discussing Ottawa's goaltending situation, I'm sure people over in the MTL forum have some threads where there goaltending can be discussed, if anyone is interested in that...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Excluding the first 15 games, the sens went 21-16-4 last season.

During that time:
Murray 15GP, .901 SV%
Gus 9 GP, .933 SV%
Forsberg 8GP, .909 SV%

League average last season was ~.903% (give or take).

That's 41 games. It's not some small-n stats cherry picking.

Anyone who watched the games knows that this team got historically blown out during a bad 15 game stretch to start the season, and then played like a tough up-and-coming playoff team for most of the next 41. That's important context, right there.

A casual fan saw the progression, but Yost missed it because he didn't watch the games. So for all of his pretty shot tracker charts, this is what analysis without the eye test gets you.

I agree with what you have said here but...

I find Yost must start with the thought "how can i criticize the Senators today" and then builds a stats view to support his headline

His stuff gets published on TSN and clicks are important. I'm quite convinced that negative Ottawa headlines generate more traffic than positive Ottawa headlines

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Drive - Hour 1
CJ Stevenson says Sens goaltending is a question mark . He doesn't think anyone can dispute that.
He's right until the goalies prove he is wrong. Last yr the goalies were not very good to start the season, got better as the season went on & ended better. Hopefully, they have a better start this yr otherwise there will be a lot of questions around Murray, it won't matter with Forsberg he is likely gone by the TDL & replaced with Gus.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's right until the goalies prove he is wrong. Last yr the goalies were not very good to start the season, got better as the season went on & ended better. Hopefully, they have a better start this yr otherwise there will be a lot of questions around Murray, it won't matter with Forsberg he is likely gone by the TDL & replaced with Gus.
I think the point of all this was including Yost's opinion.. is to start the year goaltending is a question mark. They have to answer the question by delivering good goaltending...and specifically Murray who the Sens signed to be their big time #1 goalie and its a huge key to getting off to a good start for a young team.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
I think the confusion lies between him waiving his NMC so that he didn't need to be protected for the expansion draft vs the team placing him on waivers for any team to be able to claim him. The former happened, the latter did not.

Now maybe we can get back to discussing Ottawa's goaltending situation, I'm sure people over in the MTL forum have some threads where there goaltending can be discussed, if anyone is interested in that...
I don't think there was any confusion at all. Everyone knows he was left unprotected.

Saying the team put Joey Daccord, for example, on waivers is not confusing at all. You can't actually put anyone on waivers in the summer, but saying that is easier than saying " he was left unprotected in the expansion draft so that only Seattle could take him if they wanted him and no one else". Forgive me for assuming HFB readers aren't Pejorative Slured.

Now that you've had your chance to remind us that we're not allowed to talk about other teams or their players on here, care to add anything yourself? How about Anton Forsberg, no one talks about him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Drive - Hour 1
CJ Stevenson says Sens goaltending is a question mark . He doesn't think anyone can dispute that.

I would. Give me a Gustavsson/Murray duo as well as one very solid RD acquisition (sort of like a Methot for Chabot) and I'd bet they'd be among the best duos in the league. But we're going another route (Forsberg instead of Gustavsson, no RD movement : Zaitsev still our #2). Like last year we went the Gudbranson/Coburn/Reilly route until it blew up in our face (not saying it will again)

At least there's more hope this year as the forward group is faster and should be more solid 2-way, at least versus last season's start. The young guys have a bit more experience too. Also, Zub and Mete are still here and Nick Holden is pretty solid if not overplayed. I didn't watch Columbus last season so no idea where Del Zotto's game is at but apparently he did well... It remains to be seen how he'll fit in Ottawa

CJ, show me the kind of 2-way hockey we'll play and I'll tell you how the goalies will do. These 2 have pretty good/high end ability so not worried about them at all (although Murray ability to stay healthy is a concern)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad