AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We'll be fine.

The NHL is at the point where there's like a good 80-something NHL calibre goalies in North America nowadays. And the difference between the 11th ranked goalie and the 80th ranked goalie is tiny.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Goaltending is a question mark. We have to hope that Murray can be at least solid.

Goaltending is a question mark for the majority of the teams in the league. Is there a team in our division outside of Tampa Bay that doesn't have questions about their starter going into the season?

Assen na yo!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Probably the last thing I'm worried about.

One of Murray, Forsberg, Gus will play well and they will all have a short leash.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Depends which Matt Murray we get.

Swiss cheese from most of last year or the reputation we paid a premium for.

Agree, the depth is there, but we need every night goaltending and none of this the game is over by period 1.

Sens as a team are underrated, the PP and PK will be good, good size, enough goalscoring, very good depth everywhere.

Most importantly, this team has a focus to win I don't think many teams have right now. A team with a chip on its shoulder and the arrogance of youth are so dangerous - these guys know any better and that's our best quality. Their goal is to win the Cup next year and we are all sitting around talking about if they are a bubble team or not - they think they are a legit contender and I kinda agree (if they get good Matt Murray that is)

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Murray appeared to be rebounding last year. We'll be alright as long as the best players play.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agree, the depth is there, but we need every night goaltending and none of this the game is over by period 1.

Sens as a team are underrated, the PP and PK will be good, good size, enough goalscoring, very good depth everywhere.

Most importantly, this team has a focus to win I don't think many teams have right now. A team with a chip on its shoulder and the arrogance of youth are so dangerous - these guys know any better and that's our best quality. Their goal is to win the Cup next year and we are all sitting around talking about if they are a bubble team or not - they think they are a legit contender and I kinda agree (if they get good Matt Murray that is)
We shall see. Murray needs to step up and hopefully prove me wrong. They will be in trouble if he plays like he did most of last year.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think the fact that Murray was working with a new goalie coach to end the season gets overlooked. Ever since that change, he looked a lot better.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
A good deal of our goaltending success will depend on the team playing out front, especially the d-Corp. I would feel better if we had a better partner for Chaboyer.

Reactions: Xspyrit

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think its a fair question. Our goaltending wasn't great (on the whole) last year. Better as the season went along and as we improved defensively, but probably fair to question if its good enough this season to be a playoff team.

Though I think allowing fewer chances would also be high on the list of areas for concern. Perhaps it is, I didn't read that article yet.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Goaltending is a question mark. We have to hope that Murray can be at least solid.

We also need to get solid play without the puck by our defensemen and forwards. Quality of competition is also a factor.

I do not expect the team to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the fact that Murray was working with a new goalie coach to end the season gets overlooked. Ever since that change, he looked a lot better.
Woodley: If you think out there, you're dead, and Murray's changes aren't instinctual just yet

Murray's changes are a process and not an overnight process. I don't think it has much to do with the coaching change. That may turn out to be positive but I think its more to it than a new coach coming in for a few weeks making a drastic difference

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Woodley: If you think out there, you're dead, and Murray's changes aren't instinctual just yet

Murray's changes are a process and not an overnight process. I don't think it has much to do with the coaching change. That may turn out to be positive but I think its more to it than a new coach coming in for a few weeks making a drastic difference

Of course, but there's a mental aspect to goalies, and athletics in general. A new goalie coach can be seen as a fresh start for a goaltender, which can really help his frame of mind. And that's ignoring whatever work they put in together so far. So while I'd agree that there are other factors that led to his improvement (much better defense in front of him is a huge reason for example), I think it's wrong to say his goalie coach "didn't have much to do with it".

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Goaltending is a question mark for the majority of the teams in the league. Is there a team in our division outside of Tampa Bay that doesn't have questions about their starter going into the season?

The Montreal Canadiens, with Price and Allen have zero concerns about their goaltending. Price did not require surgery on his hip and his doctor said his knee surgery went exactly as planned.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What I want is a HEALTHY Murray. I hope he spent the entire off season doing yoga and working on strength and conditioning.
I'm sure that's a factor. I just want him to stop the puck or be cast out sooner than later.

Having a guy making 6+ mil to suck ass and be a detriment to the cause is a major distraction and problem for the team that they really don't need while trying to turn the corner.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I'm sure that's a factor. I just want him to stop the puck or be cast out sooner than later.

Having a guy making 6+ mil to suck ass and be a detriment to the cause is a major distraction and problem for the team that they really don't need while trying to turn the corner.

When Murray was healthy this past season, he was stellar. Health is his major problem. He needs to deal with the nagging injuries by having better conditioning and working on a day to day recovery plan with our strength and conditioning coaches.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When Murray was healthy this past season, he was stellar. Health is his major problem. He needs to deal with he nagging injuries by having better conditioning and working on a day to day recovery plan with our strength and conditioning coaches.
I knew he struggled with some injuries, but it seemed like he struggled all year other than two brief stretches, mightily so at times, so I'm still in a wait and see approach, especially since his numbers the last year in Pittsburgh were so poor as well.

I'm more confident that he can hit that 905-910 save % useful category than I am that we'll get a 6.25 mil superstar goalie.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The Montreal Canadiens, with Price and Allen have zero concerns about their goaltending. Price did not require surgery on his hip and his doctor said his knee surgery went exactly as planned.

Look at Price's numbers in recent regular seasons. He's had one good season in the past four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad