Are the oilers finally sticking up for each other?

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
752 comments on sportsnet's article on darnell's beatdown of Turtle Polak. I've never seen an article this year come even close in number of comments
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-darnell-nurse-hearing-nhl/

90 percent of the comments go like this:
"Coilers, what a joke franchise, just became even more of a joke"
"So they get 4 1st overalls and looks like another one, and they're still last and play like childish goons, facepalm"
"Dirty play from a dirty player from a dirt franchise, just eradicate that good for nothing team already"
And so on, and so on

The hate for our team this year and right now is real

But as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, Oilers are a hot topic right now and the **** show is very entertaining

Stuff like this puts a smile on my face. **** 'em.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Far better to be hated than pitied
The hatred for the Oilers started because the Oilers won the lottery instead of the beloved Maple Leafs. This hatred started when the Oilers won the McDavid lottery instead of the beloved Leafs. I remember how sad TSN was when the Oilers won the lottery instead of the beloved Maple Leafs.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
On the main board Nurse is being taken to task for what he did. I am taking a different perspective on things.

One of my big complaints over the past 7 or so years as been when an Oiler gets slapped around or a slight cheap shot taken on him--nothing happened. I remember one time a player hit Hall and the player looked around expecting to get jumped or something and nothing happened.

Something changed this year--do not know if it is the coach or we suddenly have players willing to take a penalty/suspension but I have notice this year that is a player hits an oiler--not always, but that player will end up in a fight or some sort of altercation before the end of the game

Maybe it is just me---but despite the fact we are in the bottom 5th of the league again--I do see a change in how things are on the ice.. is it just me?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'd enjoy getting back at all the people who ran our players. Don;t even care about winning at this point. Just protect our stars and put the fear of God into the opposition.

Having said this, good teams will not be intimidated, but they will be more watchful and cautious.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's getting there. I still remember Yak just standing there watching after it appeared that Hendy got taken out by Polak with a dirty play.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd enjoy getting back at all the people who ran our players. Don;t even care about winning at this point. Just protect our stars and put the fear of God into the opposition.

Having said this, good teams will not be intimidated, but they will be more watchful and cautious.

i don't think they do it because they're not afraid of anyone....i think they do it because they win.

we need to win....and rough up the opposition....that'll learn 'em

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm glad Nurse stuck up for his teammates, but this isn't going to change anything. Teams will always go after star players to get them off their game. It's hockey. And teams aren't going to "think twice" either. That's just silly. :laugh: :laugh: This isn't old school hockey anymore. If it can help the team win though then yes, obviously I'm all for it. As in doing what Nurse did I mean.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
They're getting there. They need to do more though, stick up for each other more consistently, and maybe add another couple big, mean, skilled sobs. :D

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I 100% support the Oilers going full savage from here until the end of the season.

**** other teams feelings. We've taken so much **** for so long. Honestly I'm down for just putting out a team full of guys like JJ, Gazdic, Maroon, Nurse, Kassian, et al and just playing nasty.

If we're going to be a bottom feeder then we might as well take some blood from the other team. In the long run it will make other teams have some fearful respect for us. Not like the lay on your back and take it dry like the team has been doing for years.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
I love that the players understand the shift that is taking place. During one of the broadcasts the talking heads were talking about Maroon and how he said when he played for Anaheim the strategy was to just get physical and the team would fold like a cheap tent. Well, not anymore - for the most part.

It seems like when he's done Chia's Oilers will not be easy to play against. Wanna play tough? OK. Wanna play skill? OK. I think we have seen glimpses of that type of a team but there's still work to do.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I certainly don't mind sticking up for teammates. Lots of times, guys are forced to defend themselves for slight transgressions. It's clear Polak said something to Nurse before the beating, and I'd guess that engagement was enough for the refs to waive the instigator penalty (I have no idea, but I'm guessing).

Also, I mind it even less from Nurse. Let the guy build his myth. You hit an Oiler, they have this half-crazy monster. Wake him up, and you might eat your teeth. Ken Dryden talked about this with Larry Robinson (if you haven't read The Game, do yourself a favour and grab a copy). He plastered a few guys into the boards early in his career, and even left a dent in Philly that wasn't fixed for a long time. Robinson wasn't a dirty player or even a particularly good fighter, but teams played differently when he was on the ice because of his reputation.

Nurse is still a relative unknown in the league, but I'm guessing guys on other teams talk about stuff like this. Despite the circumstances, I bet most of the respect him a little more because of this.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I certainly don't mind sticking up for teammates. Lots of times, guys are forced to defend themselves for slight transgressions. It's clear Polak said something to Nurse before the beating, and I'd guess that engagement was enough for the refs to waive the instigator penalty (I have no idea, but I'm guessing).

Also, I mind it even less from Nurse. Let the guy build his myth. You hit an Oiler, they have this half-crazy monster. Wake him up, and you might eat your teeth. Ken Dryden talked about this with Larry Robinson (if you haven't read The Game, do yourself a favour and grab a copy). He plastered a few guys into the boards early in his career, and even left a dent in Philly that wasn't fixed for a long time. Robinson wasn't a dirty player or even a particularly good fighter, but teams played differently when he was on the ice because of his reputation.

Nurse is still a relative unknown in the league, but I'm guessing guys on other teams talk about stuff like this. Despite the circumstances, I bet most of the respect him a little more because of this.

This. Between squaring off with Lucic and now serving Polak his notice, he is getting a reputation I am sure. And one that I am loving.

Unfortunately, contrary to main board "LOL Risto's better Nurse is a goon" posters, Nurse will soon become essential to keep on the ice as a strong 2nd pairing guy and will have to be more wily when wielding his fists.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
What's the feeling you get watching that?

Pride?

(Don't make that damn simpsons joke :D)

Laughter.

The three guys who jumped to defend their young star taking a head-shot were.

Pancakes Penner
Lazy Floater Hemsky
Tammy Gilbert

3 players that most posters here wanted to fire into the Sun.

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
Laughter.

Pancakes Penner
Lazy Floater Hemsky
Tammy Gilbert

I remember Captain Planet doing it to Stempniak and Upshall. Honourable mention to Laddy Smid who did before being shipped south.

The trick is going to be guys that can punish the opposition and play hockey at the NHL level. I do have faith this team will be the Bruins-west before too long.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Laughter.

Pancakes Penner
Lazy Floater Hemsky
Tammy Gilbert

That's one thing I loved about Penner. He was infuriatingly reluctant to use his big frame, but he stood up for guys a lot. I appreciated that immensely.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I didn't think much of Nurse before (wanted him in the AHL) but after that face-punching - he can stay :)

Wow, I also got removed from the main boards thread for declaring my love for being like Canucks/Flyers fans and cheering for d-baggery.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I didn't think much of Nurse before (wanted him in the AHL) but after that face-punching - he can stay :)

Wow, I also got removed from the main boards thread for declaring my love for being like Canucks/Flyers fans and cheering for d-baggery.

oiler fans have become second hand posters on the trade and main board over the past few seasons. you just need to look at the weekly, sometimes daily oiler bashing threads on the main boards or how often does the phrase "Why do oiler fans over value all their players" gets posted in a thread...I have stayed away from any hamonic talk since one NYI poster more or less went on and on about how Eberle would be only a fringe player who might make the third or fourth line or be a healthy scratch sooner and later--when I argued facts and stats over opinion--it got nasty...

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
About time for the Edmonton Oilers 'Bus Stopping' era to end.

23oec3.jpg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That's one thing I loved about Penner. He was infuriatingly reluctant to use his big frame, but he stood up for guys a lot. I appreciated that immensely.

For how lazy Penner played he was well liked in the locker room. Right now the list of tough, team first players is growing immensely. Nurse, Hendricks, Maroon, Kassian, Purdy, Cracknell and Gryba. I thnki PC's plan is to have 4 skill forwards (Mcdavid, Hall, RNH, Draisaitl) and 2-3 skilled defenceman and then surround them with toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad