Are the Leafs tanking? -- Tanking Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It only looks like were not tanking because we have the best coach in hockey and he is getting this group to overachieve

We traded Kessel to lower scoring and get high draft pick, Im really needing some trades for this group to get worse because they are showing they are capable with competing with any team.

I had an Epiphany boys and if we trully want our Leafs to get to where they need to get just watching the Leafs last night I thought to myself were all carried away, starting to talk play-offs this year and all that. And even though it would be great for rielly, gardiner, kadri, JVR etc development to get more playoff experience Im watching us play and thinking for the best of this team we really need to consistantly lose like the start of season, play hard, compete but lose. We need that top 5 pick. With the amount of top end prospects we have in our organization already I think just this last season to get a high end prospect to add to this would be enough. Next year we can work with what we have and worry about developing and competing but just watching last nights game, yeah were playing hard and competing with all teams but we just dont have the team/skill to be at the top consistantly. Hunter/scouts showing we can get good prospects with lower picks but obviously we need those top ones when we can. were nowhere close to the skill we need so...

last 3 games have really helped making this conclusion, sorry allot of this is obvious but I was just watching the game and thinking to myself why are we hoping for a win this year?? seriously I dont want to be edmonton or Calgary anymore!!!

So Im hoping for value to increase with our good play but also hoping for some trades very soon!! :yo::handclap:

I have to disagree with you in part. I do not believe we are tanking exactly and we certainly did not trade Kessel to deliberately score less goals .

I think a good many of you guys are confusing Culture Change for tanking. That is why Kessel was traded, they thought he was a slacker who lacked compete. I also think that any of the one year contract guys that are a good fit could be retained because they reinforce the culture Babcock is trying to instill, rather than being moved for a 3rd round pick for example.

Make no mistake we are building through the draft but we will continue to try an acquire players that fit the Babcock mould. No one on this team is going to try and lose and the team is not going to get any players to specifically make the team worse, that is just foolishness. I am fairly sure our management team cares less about our draft position and more about the progress of the core players they have identified coupled with the progress of our young blue chippers .

I would be surprised if we sign any free agents in the next few years that make over 4 mil and get more than two years unless it is a very special exception because the player has been identified as a potential core piece (yes I mean you Stamkos/Taveres).

I believe it is far more likely they will just slowly promote next year with fewer and fewer one year boys being signed each year until the majority of the squad is our promoted prospects and the hold overs from what we currently have.

Once Management sees a consistent high level of performance then they will start looking for finishing pieces. Let's be honest here, I am willing to say I am liking Nylander's chances of being a true number one at this point but I have to think it will be at least two and more likely four years of NHL experience before he is the calibre of centre that leads a contender on a deep playoff run. Once he matures then we start asking ourselves could one expensive player make the difference.

Babs has proven a few important things so far. Rielly (1 or 2) , Phaneuf (2 or 3), Gardiner (3 or 4) are all top four defensemen capable of playing real D. yes I know many of you hate Dion but I think our leading scorer has demonstrated he is a pretty fine D when used properly. It is plausible they think they already have much of that core.

JVR-Nylander-Marner (this is a mighty fine first line if everyone develops as hoped)
Brown-Kadri-Kaps ( for sure Kadri is a number 2 C, I believe in Brown, the third guy is still a question)

Already having 5 of your top 6 forwards and 3 of your top 4 D means the main thing they need is time for development and maturity. If we got one of the top 3 guys in this years draft it would be glorious but I do not see Babcock coaching a team that bad or us having that kind of luck in the lottery, we are the Leafs after all (unless we traded the pick, then of course it would for sure be top 3:naughty:).

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Don't think Gauthier and Brown are too similar. Though both have size and put up around a point per game in junior, Brown's got more offensive upside. Would be thrilled to get him in the 20s somewhere. Never can have too much size down the middle in my book.

Though I agree that a Dman/Centre split for our two firsts would be ideal.

I kind of agree, but if they see Marner as a centre we need a right winger very very badly.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I kind of agree, but if they see Marner as a centre we need a right winger very very badly.

i think they will develop marner as a center unless they get a better one ( stamkos or matthews)

between kap, bracco, brown, johnson, lipschitz, and the 2 russians we should be ok. i also feel very confident that hunter will help us draft quality players.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
i think they will develop marner as a center unless they get a better one ( stamkos or matthews)

between kap, bracco, brown, johnson, lipschitz, and the 2 russians we should be ok. i also feel very confident that hunter will help us draft quality players.

With all due respect none of them projects as a first line RW. A couple could surprise but that list above is second line at best for the most part.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

Yup.
My draft wish and hope for list is for a 1C and a 1D.
I would stay away from the wingers, save Tkachuk.

I hope our cheat sheet looks like:
1.Matthews
2.Chychrun
3.Tkachuk
4.McLeod
-
(too much BPA to go lower)
5.Puljujarvi
6.Nylander
7.Laine
8.Gauthier

I think McLeod takes a big leap in the rankings - But also have hope that even if we draft in the 6-8 range;he will be available.

I would say that drafting a C/D is very high on the priority over a winger. If we have an inside track on Stamkos, I may change my tune on 5-8 over McLeod.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not thinking they'll make the playoffs, but it is interesting to ponder their future if let's say they draft in the 7th to 12th overall range for the next 2 years and then they ascend in the standings after that. Kadri is an example of a player that we drafted in that range.

So is Nylander.

So, based on a small sample, and assuming the Nylander projects the way we hope, its 50%/50% then ...... maybe ...... i.e., sometimes you get a 1st line forward, sometimes you don't?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

good to great wingers are available all the time, it's not really a concern, getting 2 skilled top 6 center's is the pressing need. once you get them then you can focus on the wings.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
So, based on a small sample, and assuming the Nylander projects the way we hope, its 50%/50% then ...... maybe ...... i.e., sometimes you get a 1st line forward, sometimes you don't?

Same applies to picks 3-6 in most drafts. Outside of the top 2 picks (and sometimes not even then), there's no guarantee of getting anything and later picks are no guarantee of not.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have to disagree with you in part. I do not believe we are tanking exactly and we certainly did not trade Kessel to deliberately score less goals .

I think a good many of you guys are confusing Culture Change for tanking. That is why Kessel was traded, they thought he was a slacker who lacked compete. I also think that any of the one year contract guys that are a good fit could be retained because they reinforce the culture Babcock is trying to instill, rather than being moved for a 3rd round pick for example.

Make no mistake we are building through the draft but we will continue to try an acquire players that fit the Babcock mould. No one on this team is going to try and lose and the team is not going to get any players to specifically make the team worse, that is just foolishness. I am fairly sure our management team cares less about our draft position and more about the progress of the core players they have identified coupled with the progress of our young blue chippers .

I would be surprised if we sign any free agents in the next few years that make over 4 mil and get more than two years unless it is a very special exception because the player has been identified as a potential core piece (yes I mean you Stamkos/Taveres).

I believe it is far more likely they will just slowly promote next year with fewer and fewer one year boys being signed each year until the majority of the squad is our promoted prospects and the hold overs from what we currently have.

Once Management sees a consistent high level of performance then they will start looking for finishing pieces. Let's be honest here, I am willing to say I am liking Nylander's chances of being a true number one at this point but I have to think it will be at least two and more likely four years of NHL experience before he is the calibre of centre that leads a contender on a deep playoff run. Once he matures then we start asking ourselves could one expensive player make the difference.

Babs has proven a few important things so far. Rielly (1 or 2) , Phaneuf (2 or 3), Gardiner (3 or 4) are all top four defensemen capable of playing real D. yes I know many of you hate Dion but I think our leading scorer has demonstrated he is a pretty fine D when used properly. It is plausible they think they already have much of that core.

JVR-Nylander-Marner (this is a mighty fine first line if everyone develops as hoped)
Brown-Kadri-Kaps ( for sure Kadri is a number 2 C, I believe in Brown, the third guy is still a question)

Already having 5 of your top 6 forwards and 3 of your top 4 D means the main thing they need is time for development and maturity. If we got one of the top 3 guys in this years draft it would be glorious but I do not see Babcock coaching a team that bad or us having that kind of luck in the lottery, we are the Leafs after all (unless we traded the pick, then of course it would for sure be top 3:naughty:).

I pretty much like everything u said here and do agree. I never said Babcock or players are losing on purpose but I do believe management gave Babcock a roster with a top 5 maybe top 3 pick in mind this year.
I LOVE that no matter how bad this roster is Babcock had done everything he can to win every game. Def a different atmosphere around this team this year. I actually think nylander will be quicker not only because of how he's doing this year in ahl but he's played vs men as 18 year old in europe and he was already one of our bests in preseason. But I'm in no hurry as I don't want him or marner to come up and just be a good top 6 forward, I want them to come up when they are ready top be elite nhl players.

I am looking forward to some trades though

Jun 27, 2005
You're failing your own test at the moment.

For a Team that is tanking the Leafs are playing unusually well :huh:

What are you talking about? The Leafs are one point out of last in the conference and a whole two points out of second last in the league. This team is purposely horrible and are tanking. That's what purposely horrible means.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What are you talking about? The Leafs are one point out of last in the conference and a whole two points out of second last in the league. This team is purposely horrible and are tanking. That's what purposely horrible means.

The bar is set very very low for this season. Just the Leafs playing like they give a rats ass most nights, is viewed as a success. Whatever, the talent is just not there. Nothing more you can ask out of this roster. I am not even convinced that the Leafs are playing THAT well either (again, because they lack talent). They are just playing better than they were last season. Let's be honest, you can't play much worse than they way they did last season.

Last edited:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Just thought of a good tank idea, so I figured I'd pitch it to see why it wouldn't work.

1. Sign the top FA to a 1 year deal worth double or slightly over double market value in the off-season.
2. Dump at deadline after retaining 50%.
3. Free first round pick/ good prospect.

Doing this would mean that FA's talent wouldn't be enough to derail a tank. It would also imply that a guy is willing to delay signing a large contract to sign a short term that pays him insane money, which I think would be reasonable to assume. Obviously if he was chasing the money it also means he doesn't care about winning the cup on that 1 year deal.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Just thought of a good tank idea, so I figured I'd pitch it to see why it wouldn't work.

1. Sign the top FA to a 1 year deal worth double or slightly over double market value in the off-season.
2. Dump at deadline after retaining 50%.
3. Free first round pick/ good prospect.

Doing this would mean that FA's talent wouldn't be enough to derail a tank. It would also imply that a guy is willing to delay signing a large contract to sign a short term that pays him insane money, which I think would be reasonable to assume. Obviously if he was chasing the money it also means he doesn't care about winning the cup on that 1 year deal.
Will try in NHL16 thx

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
But it was just reported McDavid will likely be back sooner than expected. So Oil should be passing us soon enough.
I'm not sure. Even god mode McDavid will have a tough time turning that team's season around.

Plus...it's the Oilers. Even if they pass us in the standings they'll go right back ahead of us after the lotto :laugh:.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I wouldn't stop at Rielly.
If not for Matthews, I would not hesitate in taking Chychrun. Outside of Tkachuk, I am not entirely amazed by the wingers penciled into the top10. The fins look like Rantanen's (good, but complimentary).

True enough. You can never have too many great D. Considering who our coach is it could very well be their priority.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Don't burst his bubble. Someone is hoping for playoff tickets this Christmas.

Players aren't trying to lose. Many are trying for their next contract.

But the execs? Doing nothing to help the winning cause. By design. Absolutely tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad