Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Last year the 8 playoff teams in the East all hit the 100-point mark and I think that is unlikely for 2023.

The Bruins' issue is they might not have their entire roster back until the Winter Classic. Maintaining 107 points will be a challenge.

Can they be a Top 3 in the Atlantic? :dunno:

If not can they hold on to Atlantic 4 and secure a Wild Card :dunno: The Metro will be stronger next year with the Islanders back to a normal schedule, Philly will be better and Columbus went all in yesterday. Pittsburgh and Washington are in the same place as the Bruins.

But given that the Bruins will be shorthanded for the first 2-3 months of the season Atlantic 4 might be hard to maintain. Ottawa is going to be much better, Buffalo played well in the second half last year and Detroit could be dangerous.

Fasten your seat belts

1657795114030.png

Reactions: BMC and Estlin

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Even with Bergy and Krejci, this team ain't making it. Detroit is now a much better team and better than the Bruins. NJ Is much better and at least on par, Philly is better and not done, Ott is much better and just beneath. The Bruins now have a weaker team than last year and a worse, though still good, coaching staff. Edit: after looking at the Devil's roster, we may still have a slight edge.

PS, I still do not think Krejci returns.

Last edited:

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
A lot will have to go right, but I think so, yeah. I bet they go for a big add come the deadline, too. 2nd round exit, if they're lucky.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
It is looking like the Atlantic is going to have a little more parity.

Ottawa and the Wings are upgraded. Sabres are a young team possibly getting better.

Don't think any of the playoff 4 in the Atlantic upgraded. You could even say maybe all downgraded least a little.

Even with Bergeron and Krejci back, could be hard to be a playoff team when looking externally.

But personally, if Bergeron and Krejci come back, not going to believe it until I see it, that this leadership doesn't have what it takes to compete. That's with the early injury concerns.

They both come back, should give the Bruin's one last competing season for a while at least.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I really hate the Wild Card - if you are Top 4 in the division you play on.

Or just eliminate the divisions and then seed the Top 8 in each conference.

I really wish the NHL would make every game worth 3 points - 3 points for a regulation or OT win and if a shootout the winner gets 2 and the loser 1 and also increase OT to 10 minutes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Balance of Power last season was in the Eastern Conference and this off-season has only skewed it further.

Here is the sobering reality.....last season the Bruins beat up on the Eastern non-playoff teams. By my count they went 22-6 vs. Ottawa/Detroit/Montreal/Buffalo/NJ/CBJ/Philly/NYI. That is nearly an .800 winning %.

So if that .800% goes down to around .600, your looking at 10-12 less points this year.

I don't need to repeat what those teams have done in the off-season except that other than maybe the Islanders, they all improved on paper. Will it translate to the ice? In some cases it absolutely will. Maybe not all, but some. One or two of those teams will pop. My guess is Ottawa and one of Detroit or NJ. I think it was clear that ownership in Ottawa and Detroit aren't happy with their attendance numbers and wanted something done about it.

To me, if the Bruins want to be a playoff team they will have to be better against the better teams. They can't count on the 2022 Eastern bottom-feeders to pile up points and avoid losing streaks.

I really hate the Wild Card - if you are Top 4 in the division you play on.

Or just eliminate the divisions and then seed the Top 8 in each conference.

I really wish the NHL would make every game worth 3 points - 3 points for a regulation or OT win and if a shootout the winner gets 2 and the loser 1 and also increase OT to 10 minutes.

Same here.

Have you ever tried to explain to a casual NHL fan how the wildcard system works? It's like trying to give a tourist directions.

Simple is better. The other part of keeping it strictly within the division now the 2nd round is a true division championship and they (the NHL) can sell that if they were smart.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
ATL
Toronto
Florida
Boston

MET
Carolina
Pittsburgh
New York I

WC
Tampa
New York R

Islanders are going nowhere and I doubt Tampa with Point, Kucherov& Vasy are at WC, or the Rangers with Trocheck at 2C and the kids with more experience under their belt.

As I said in trade rumours I have 5 quaranteed playoff teams in the East.

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
Carolina
Rangers

Then Boston, Ottawa, Was, Pens, Columbus fighting for the last 3.
It’s going to be a fight especially with the injuries

Reactions: TCB and Estlin

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Islanders are going nowhere and I doubt Tampa with Point, Kucherov& Vasy are at WC, or the Rangers with Trocheck at 2C and the kids with more experience under their belt.

As I said in trade rumours I have 5 quaranteed playoff teams in the East.

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
Carolina
Rangers

Then Boston, Ottawa, Was, Pens, Columbus fighting for the last 3.
It’s going to be a fight especially with the injuries
We finished 2 points behind Tampa last year and they lost McDonaugh and Palat and have played so much hockey

Cirelli is out 6 months

The rangers roster is status quo Copp and Trocheck is basically a wash

I Doubt Igor duplicates his season where he was statistically one of the greatest goalies in nhl history

They will drop in the standings

Florida lost Marshmont, Duclair, Giroux
Lot of talent up front

Toronto lost some good depth forwards and got much worse in goal

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Poll is too early. As constructed today they lost Haula for a player not signed yet. So they are down 2 centers already and have a worse roster. Not making playoffs if it stays like this, but Sweeney would have to be a grade A moron to leave it like this

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Over the last 10 years the average points for the lowest ranked playoff team was 95pts. This works out to a 0.579 P% over an 82 game season. Last season Boston had a .652 P% so we'd need about a 12% drop from last year to be in a potential spot to not make the playoffs.

With that said, with injuries to Marchand/McAvoy to start the year could that be the 12% drop? maybe?

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I used the comparison in the other thread, but the injuries out of the gate could put the Bruins behind a similar 8-ball to what the Islanders faced last fall with their extended road trip.

It's not easy to dig out of a hole, given the level of parity in the league.
The reality is, in a 32 team league, only half the clubs qualify for the tournament.

Just making the dance is far from guaranteed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We finished 2 points behind Tampa last year and they lost McDonaugh and Palat and have played so much hockey

Cirelli is out 6 months

The rangers roster is status quo Copp and Trocheck is basically a wash

I Doubt Igor duplicates his season where he was statistically one of the greatest goalies in nhl history

They will drop in the standings

Florida lost Marshmont, Duclair, Giroux
Lot of talent up front

Toronto lost some good depth forwards and got much worse in goal

& Boston will be without McAvoy& Marchand to start the season and will bet on 36& 37 olds to hold up the entire 82 game season.
That’s a big ask at their age.

Panarin is going to do the same for Trocheck he did for Strome.

This is the best division in hockey by a country mile and Boston will be without 2 core playes to start the season.
I would not count them as quarantee

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Balance of Power last season was in the Eastern Conference and this off-season has only skewed it further.

Here is the sobering reality.....last season the Bruins beat up on the Eastern non-playoff teams. By my count they went 22-6 vs. Ottawa/Detroit/Montreal/Buffalo/NJ/CBJ/Philly/NYI. That is nearly an .800 winning %.

So if that .800% goes down to around .600, your looking at 10-12 less points this year.

I don't need to repeat what those teams have done in the off-season except that other than maybe the Islanders, they all improved on paper. Will it translate to the ice? In some cases it absolutely will. Maybe not all, but some. One or two of those teams will pop. My guess is Ottawa and one of Detroit or NJ. I think it was clear that ownership in Ottawa and Detroit aren't happy with their attendance numbers and wanted something done about it.

To me, if the Bruins want to be a playoff team they will have to be better against the better teams. They can't count on the 2022 Eastern bottom-feeders to pile up points and avoid losing streaks.

Same here.

Have you ever tried to explain to a casual NHL fan how the wildcard system works? It's like trying to give a tourist directions.

Simple is better. The other part of keeping it strictly within the division now the 2nd round is a true division championship and they (the NHL) can sell that if they were smart.
Jacobs knows how painful the Red Wings rebuild has been as he controls retail and concessions at their new arena and he also controls the Sabres operation.

I honestly believe Sweeney fired Cassidy knowing that Bruce would be hired very quickly by another team and in some way did Bruce a favor.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It will depend on secondary impact.... from the likes of Lysell, Beecher, Zacha

Yes it has come to this

With Bergy likely to return? Maybe Krejci. The PP, PK special teams should be still pretty good

But during 5 v 5s. Need the young bucks to help out.

If the Bruins are close to a wildcard spot when a healthy Marchand, McAvoy return. Should make the playoffs imo

Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad