Recalled/Assigned: Archibald Recalled

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I mean, this is like the 19th forward on our depth chart isn't it? I don't really know what we expect at this point.

That's even more pathetic, that we don't have a single guy, anywhere in the entire organization that's bigger than your average high school kid.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Simon has earned a call up. Not sure why he keeps getting passed on.

Because they think he's actually a decent prospect who they don't want to call up just to sit in the press box or get 5 minutes of ice time on the 4th line? :dunno: That's pretty obvious to me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Because they think he's actually a decent prospect who they don't want to call up just to sit in the press box or get 5 minutes of ice time on the 4th line? :dunno: That's pretty obvious to me.

Yeah, nothing more than this to me.

There's no guarantee that Archibald plays, and if he does he probably only plays sparingly on the fourth line.

I'm expecting us to roll with 7 D tonight, but if somebody gets hurt before the game well then we'd be icing 17 skaters (of which 10 could be forwards).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's even more pathetic, that we don't have a single guy, anywhere in the entire organization that's bigger than your average high school kid.

well we have Sundqvist, but he's hurt. And Fehr, but he's hurt. And Dumoulin. And Cole. And Kunitz. And Malkin. Its not like every player on our team is tiny.

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
well we have Sundqvist, but he's hurt. And Fehr, but he's hurt. And Dumoulin. And Cole. And Kunitz. And Malkin. Its not like every player on our team is tiny.

Fehr uses his size like Taylor Pyatt. Kunitz and Cole are far from 'big'.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fehr uses his size like Taylor Pyatt. Kunitz and Cole are far from 'big'.

they certainly aren't small. Cole is 220 lbs. And you're changing your argument. You just said we're small. Every single player. Not one guy who isn't small in the entire organization. Just pointing out your extreme exaggeration.

Last edited:

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
I think we're all reading too much into this, when Clefty is clearly right. They called up someone who is not going to be too missed for the Baby Pens, someone who they can scratch without fear of stunting his development, and just someone to bring with them while they run seven D. Cole has played well, as has Pouliot. They want to see Schultz. They're dressing seven D. Archibald is sitting.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I think we're all reading too much into this, when Clefty is clearly right. They called up someone who is not going to be too missed for the Baby Pens, someone who they can scratch without fear of stunting his development, and just someone to bring with them while they run seven D. Cole has played well, as has Pouliot. They want to see Schultz. They're dressing seven D. Archibald is sitting.

Not today. HCMS announced Schultz wouldn't be playing today in his pre-game presser. Also ...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if Terrapin's particulars (and reasons for disappointment in the recall) are off, it's pretty hard to argue that the Pens are, on balance, one of the smallest and softest teams in the league.

Not really a discussion for this thread, but true nonetheless. We're not built for wars of attrition. Any team facing us in a 7 game series will have exactly as many bruises in Game 7 as it had in Game 1. Now that's at least palatable if we're dedicated to building a fast/skilled line-up top-to-bottom, but we're not, even if we've made some positive strides.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Even if Terrapin's particulars (and reasons for disappointment in the recall) are off, it's pretty hard to argue that the Pens are, on balance, one of the smallest and softest teams in the league.

Not really a discussion for this thread, but true nonetheless. We're not built for wars of attrition. Any team facing us in a 7 game series will have exactly as many bruises in Game 7 as it had in Game 1. Now that's fine if we're dedicated to building a fast/skilled line-up top-to-bottom, but we're not, even if we've made some positive strides.

If he would be willing to have a rational discussion, we would have a rational discussion back. I've seen it happen. But when he exaggerates to the degree that he does, its hard to have a rational discussion.

We are not a big team. We are not a physical team. But we do in fact have multiple players who are bigger than an average high school student in the organization. You list some of the guys who have decent size, and now he's moved the goalposts. Suddenly Fehr and Cole don't count.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he would be willing to have a rational discussion, we would have a rational discussion back. I've seen it happen. But when he exaggerates to the degree that he does, its hard to have a rational discussion.

We are not a big team. We are not a physical team. But we do in fact have multiple players who are bigger than an average high school student in the organization. You list some of the guys who have decent size, and now he's moved the goalposts. Suddenly Fehr and Cole don't count.

For sure. I just take it as an off-the-cuff thing rather than a stated fact to be scrutinized, but I know both sides can get prickly when this argument gets brought up, haha.

The essence of what he's talking about is true. We have precious little in size/grit department, and its probably gonna bite us in the ass. I thought Sundqvist and Plotnikov could add some this year, but that hasn't worked out because of organizational priorities. What's worse is that there's really nothing in the pipeline on that front either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For sure. I just take it as an off-the-cuff thing rather than a stated fact to be scrutinized, but I know both sides can get prickly when this argument gets brought up, haha.

The essence of what he's talking about is true. We have precious little in size/grit department, and its probably gonna bite us in the ass. I thought Sundqvist and Plotnikov could add some this year, but that hasn't worked out because of organizational priorities. What's worse is that there's really nothing in the pipeline on that front either.

I don't disagree. Like I said, I have had rational discussions with him about it, and I have agreed with him outside of the fighting aspect. But in this specific case, complaining that our 19th or so depth forward is small just seems a bit ridiculous :laugh:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Pffft, I'm of the school of through that they should call up the BPA. Even if that means calling up a defenseman when you need a winger. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad