Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He wasn’t the sheriff this year, and you may be right about his shoulders. I wonder if he will be able to continue to play a physical game, including some fights if need be? I’m concerned he may not be able to, which diminishes his value considerably.
Those type of shoulder injuries will make all teams wary about making a major financial commitment for this otherwise promising young player.

“Availability is the best ability“ - Bill Parcells.

Last edited:

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I wouldn't do that. Habs know what they can get out of Xhekaj and the shoulders should be stronger than before after the operations.

I'd try to sign Xhekaj medium term at a discount.

Showing faith in the kid at this juncture in his career can go a long ways for the Habs.

13.75M for 5 years and better dental plan than Costco?

He'd be 27 coming out of that contract and set for life at that juncture when he can sign his biggest contract ever.
I would be thrilled if we could sign Xhekaj to a 2.75M x 5 deal. The problem is I don't think the player goes for it. He would be selling himself short on a long-term deal. Maybe Kent can work his magic though!

I want Xhekaj here for the long haul. I would gladly give him 3M x 6. I think the reason I'm having a hard time coming up with a contract is because Xhekaj is a unicorn and there aren't many comparisons for his play style.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Xhekaj is ripe for a longterm team friendly deal. He made strides near the end of the season but the injuries are definitely a concern given his style of play (and pugilistic tendancies). I think he would be looking for longterm stability given all the uncertainty to date and given his blue-collar nature. Something like a 6 x year 2.5AAV would be in the ball park. If i am Hughes i take the gamble.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can't see Xhekaj signing long term unless it was close to 4m per year. Sub 3m on a 5 or 6 year deal is just fantasy.
Why is that fantasy? What has Xhekaj done to date? His underlying stats are poor. He is oft injured. He was in the AHL at one point.

If there is a time to get him longterm (and you feel he will continue to develop into a stable middle pairing dman), then now's the time. IN the back of Xhekaj's head, is his time in Laval. There is always a chance he returns to Laval with the plethora of D that are knocking on the door (Hutson / Struble and others etc.) that may pass him by. He may opt for a longterm deal to reserve his spot on the blueline. A longterm team friendly deal.

If i was his agent, i would advise him to consider it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Why is that fantasy? What has Xhekaj done to date? His underlying stats are poor. He is oft injured. He was in the AHL at one point.

If there is a time to get him longterm (and you feel he will continue to develop into a stable middle pairing dman), then now's the time. IN the back of Xhekaj's head, is his time in Laval. There is always a chance he returns to Laval with the plethora of D that are knocking on the door (Hutson / Struble and others etc.) that may pass him by. He may opt for a longterm deal to reserve his spot on the blueline. A longterm team friendly deal.

If i was his agent, i would advise him to consider it.
Long term contracts to guys coming off their ELCs aren't about what they have done it's about their potential. And you are obviously well aware he has lots of potetnial because if you really thought he was an oft injured, fringe NHLer with poor underlying stats you wouldn't want him signed long term no matter the price.

Reactions: dgeezus

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Long term contracts to guys coming off their ELCs aren't about what they have done it's about their potential. And you are obviously well aware he has lots of potetnial because if you really thought he was an oft injured, fringe NHLer with poor underlying stats you wouldn't want him signed long term no matter the price.
I am playing devil's advocate. The circumstances are ripe for a longterm low-salary deal for Xhekaj. His biggest concern is finding a roster spot with so many LHD breathing down his neck.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Keep him!

He makes every players grow a few inches.
A skill that no one else has in this team.

Lets see how he improves his game too, I think alot of posters are being too quick.

You won't.get the type of return you want anyways and we have enough middle/bottom players if traded.

Trade makes no sense for now, let him be 6-7D, injury replacement and some AHL if needed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keep him!

He makes every players grow a few inches.
A skill that no one else has in this team.

Lets see how he improves his game too, I think alot of posters are being too quick.

You won't.get the type of return you want anyways and we have enough middle/bottom players if traded.

Trade makes no sense for now, let him be 6-7D, injury replacement and some AHL if needed.

Agreed. He's a keeper and he's only going to mature with trust in his own end. If we trade him, it better bring in a top 6 dynamic forward with the same team control.

Reactions: Holystik and BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
On a bridge deal I would agree with you, but on a long term deal you are paying for potential and he does have a ton of potential.
On a bridge deal I would agree with you, but on a long term deal you are paying for potential and he does have a ton of potential.
Really ? Two shoulders broken within two seasons. Risks of concussion because the nature of his « work » …. A bottom - paring d-man. A bridge deal is the way to go. Let’s see if he can get better (and healthier) first.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Reactions: HuGo Sham and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad