Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Hey guys, please win tonight. Love you.

9559ad8beedbab2d6ce0e4546ad0ad77.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well at least after the Ducks are done having their way with us the Oilers fans will be upset.

:laugh:
No-win scenario; even in the standings.
Ducks win; we are likely going to get them in round 1. We win, Oilers win, Sharks finished, we likely get them again in the first round :laugh:

Seems like we're going to the Pond no matter what we do.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
:laugh:
No-win scenario; even in the standings.
Ducks win; we are likely going to get them in round 1. We win, Oilers win, Sharks finished, we likely get them again in the first round :laugh:

Seems like we're going to the Pond no matter what we do.

Only thing that changes this IMO is if Nashville wins, then they jump over us and we're matched up with Chicago.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Chicago or Anaheim, they're probably out in six either way.

Which is fine. This isn't supposed to be the year where they win it all; there's a still learning curve to appreciate. Clinching early was a solid step; next is understanding how much better they'll need to be to beat a team like Chicago or Anaheim, and hopefully apply that from the beginning of next season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Which is fine. This isn't supposed to be the year where they win it all; there's a still learning curve to appreciate. Clinching early was a solid step; next is understanding how much better they'll need to be to beat a team like Chicago or Anaheim, and hopefully apply that from the beginning of next season.

Regular rebuild process IMO.
Step 1: Rebuild
Step 2: Make the playoffs legitimately (i.e not via fluke)
Step 3: Find what it takes to take the next steps & become a contender

If Calgary could push someone, whether it be the Ducks or Hawks to 6-7 games and make it a tough series, I take it as a win. Those teams are win-now mode. Calgary's core is made up of mostly 23 year olds and younger with no generational talent :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think we match up pretty well against Chicago

There's a Chicago regular season, and a Chicago playoff team.
One we match up well with. One we have never encountered; but we know they have a lot of cups and success.

That all being said, line-up v line-up, we do stack up against the Hawks a lot better than the Ducks. All three of those Duck lines just spend time in our zone; have defensively capable Centres.

It'd be fun watching Backlund's line try to deal with the Kane line. It'd not be fun watch Toews run wild on Monahan though :laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know some of us don't want to match Chicago, but IMO, they're the best team to match. We know what we know of Chicago during the regular season and based on regular season we can match up well. We know we aren't going far, so IMO, best to maximize ploffs learning.

I think our players need to see a team they have a chance against in the regular season go all playoffs extra gear on them. They need to see it experience it and try to learn it.

IMO, Chicago > Ducks in learning experience. Ducks have voodoo, we can't do anything about that, I don't think they learn much.

BOA is pure entertainment. But ploffs learning will be low.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Either way, we could be in for a tough time. Let's say we fall to WC2 and face Chicago in the 1st round. If we beat them, we have to face Anaheim in round 2 if they beat the Preds. Then 1 of San Jose/Edmonton/St.Louis/Minny in the WCF depending on who wins their series in round 1 and 2.

If we stay at WC1, we face Anaheim. In round 2 we could still face Chicago if they win against the Preds. That's only if it works out like that.

If the number 1 seed in each loses in round 1 it becomes wonky. At that point we would face the higher ranking team. If two teams who were 2nd in their division beat the 3rd seed teams than we would face the higher ranking one depending on which wildcard spot we finished at...which means at WC2, we would face Minny in round 2. At WC1 we face Edmonton in round 2.

Should be a fun ride.

Last edited:

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Either way, we could be in for a tough time. Let's say we fall to WC2 and face Chicago in the 1st round. If we beat them, we have to face Anaheim in round 2 if they beat the Preds. Then 1 of San Jose/Edmonton/St.Louis/Minny in the WCF depending on who wins their series in round 1 and 2.

If we stay at WC1, we face Anaheim. In round 2 we could still face Chicago if they win against the Preds. That's only if it works out like that.

If the number 1 seed in each loses in round 1 it becomes wonky. At that point we would face the higher ranking team. If two teams who were 2nd in their division beat the 3rd seed teams than we would face the higher ranking one depending on which wildcard spot we finished at...which means at WC2, we would face Minny in round 2. At WC1 we face Edmonton in round 2.

Should be a fun ride.

If we fall into WC2 and beat Chicago we would fall into the central side of the bracket and face the winner of Minny/Stl in the second round not Anaheim.
The only time the central side and the pacific side would meet is in the conference finals.
Ex:
Central Side:
C1: Chicago
WC2: Calgary
C2: Minnesota
C3: St.Louis

Pacific Side:
P1: Anaheim
WC1: Nashville
P2: Edmonton
P3: San Jose

The second round series would be the winners from the Central side going against each other and the winners of the 2 pacific side matches going against each other, then the 2 sides of the bracket would only meet up against each other in the conference finals.
Ex: Second Round
C1 Vs. C2
P1 Vs. P2
Third Round:
C1 Vs. P1

May 27, 2012
Earth
If we fall into WC2 and beat Chicago we would fall into the central side of the bracket and face the winner of Minny/Stl in the second round not Anaheim.
The only time the central side and the pacific side would meet is in the conference finals.
Ex:
Central Side:
C1: Chicago
WC2: Calgary
C2: Minnesota
C3: St.Louis

Pacific Side:
P1: Anaheim
WC1: Nashville
P2: Edmonton
P3: San Jose

The second round series would be the winners from the Central side going against each other and the winners of the 2 pacific side matches going against each other, then the 2 sides of the bracket would only meet up against each other in the conference finals.
Ex: Second Round
C1 Vs. C2
P1 Vs. P2
Third Round:
C1 Vs. P1

Yeah, you are correct. For some reason I thought you faced the high ranking team from either one. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. Should still be a ride.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Last game, we tricked the Ducks into thinking we're a bad team.

In actuality, we're an average team. Joke's on you, Ducks

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

I think they could push both series to seven. Maybe that's homerism but

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Anything other than pure 1st round blow out is gravy in the playoffs IMO.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Anything other than pure 1st round blow out is gravy in the playoffs IMO.

Maybe if you're the Oilers. This team isn't a garbage fire and the core made the playoffs two years ago, they have a better idea of what's necessary for success than a lot of young teams do at this stage in a rebuild.

Compounded with the fact that we have a good amount of veteran leadership and proven winners and I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't see a tight series.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I didn't even think we'd be making the playoffs this season. And losing in the playoffs always hurts but I think would be happy if we were competitive in the first round and gave Chicago/Anaheim a run for their money

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Call me crazy, but I'd rather move into the Central side of the playoff bracket. Better chance of beating Chicago than the Ducks.

Chicago has 2 lines that scare me and 3 defencemen. Anaheim has 3 lines and a boatload of good D. Goaltending is a wash.

Round 2 would be a better matchup in Wild/Blues than Oilers/Sharks. Though I wouldn't mind playing the Sharks either.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Call me crazy, but I'd rather move into the Central side of the playoff bracket. Better chance of beating Chicago than the Ducks.

Chicago has 2 lines that scare me and 3 defencemen. Anaheim has 3 lines and a boatload of good D. Goaltending is a wash.

Round 2 would be a better matchup in Wild/Blues than Oilers/Sharks. Though I wouldn't mind playing the Sharks either.

Flames vs Oilers Conference Finals sounds pretty good to me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To me, missing the playoffs last season is a success to me cause we got Tkachuk even though it didn't look like it at the time. It's very unlikely we'd be in the position we are in now without him.

I mean, if we'd made the playoffs last season, it means we were already a much better team without Tkachuk, which means we'd have needed less severe improvement to become a good team, which is kind of a wash with getting Tkachuk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We were the 5th worst team in the NHL last season. This year we are the 15th best team; and with a win could jump into the 12-13 range.

That's a major jump TBH. I can see them continue to improve too. They have to go the Chicago/St.Louis/LA way, build great pieces (no generational talents) and a strong roster through and through. The we need to make sure that goalie position is stable next year... because a reasonable goalie for the majority of the year would have us likely in the Pacific lead :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We were the 5th worst team in the NHL last season. This year we are the 15th best team; and with a win could jump into the 12-13 range.

That's a major jump TBH. I can see them continue to improve too. They have to go the Chicago/St.Louis/LA way, build great pieces (no generational talents) and a strong roster through and through. The we need to make sure that goalie position is stable next year... because a reasonable goalie for the majority of the year would have us likely in the Pacific lead :laugh:

If we are going the Kings route we need to find our Carter and Richards trade lol.

Plus have the pieces we can afford to lose to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad