News Article: AP: Pegula focused on efficiency; staying on as Sabres President

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
This woman’s only qualification to running these orgs is that she’s married a billionaire who also props up her brothers busted ass record label. Embarrassing and wish Terry had the balls to fire his own incompetent wife. I still dream of Pat Laf running our team.

This x 100000000

The last time the organization made any sense publicly was under LaFontaine. His philosophy and his vision were dead-on IMO and he would have elevated the franchise. I think if Murray had the check-and-balance of LaFontaine and Craig Patrick, everything is a different story with him as well.

Since that strange day when LaFontaine retired, the whole thing has gone downhill and up in flames.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
DuppXr-UwAAneQW.jpg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The funniest part of all of this to me is that “streamlining” “turning to technology” and all that stuff that just means “spend a lot less” should push them firmly into the moneyball analytics camp to find value in players and cheaper methodologists running their numbers. But they don’t believe in that either. They don’t have an ideology. Or knowledge. They just want to stop losing as much money being terrible.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
(MOD)

I honestly don’t believe they know anyone outside to have called at this point. And now they don’t have anyone inside either. This is going to go great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I honestly don’t believe they know anyone outside to have called at this point. And now they don’t have anyone inside either. This is going to go great.

Pat LaFontaine could not be reached for comment.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The funniest part of all of this to me is that “streamlining” “turning to technology” and all that stuff that just means “spend a lot less” should push them firmly into the moneyball analytics camp to find value in players and cheaper methodologists running their numbers. But they don’t believe in that either. They don’t have an ideology. Or knowledge. They just want to stop losing as much money being terrible.

You mean repeating "communication" 8,000 times isn't a plan?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
You mean repeating "communication" 8,000 times isn't a plan?
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- f*** communication.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, communicate.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The NHL offices themselves can be used by any ownership group for help. Their recommendations helped get us Botts. So maybe reaching out wouldn’t be the best idea.

I’ve just come to the conclusion that, more often than not, when an owner hits on a good executive. There is a lot more luck involved than we want to admit.

We had years of good to great Bills football because penny pinching Ralph Wilson struck gold with one of his cheap hires, Polian.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The NHL offices themselves can be used by any ownership group for help. Their recommendations helped get us Botts. So maybe reaching out wouldn’t be the best idea.

I’ve just come to the conclusion that, more often than not, when an owner hits on a good executive. There is a lot more luck involved than we want to admit.

We had years of good to great Bills football because penny pinching Ralph Wilson struck gold with one of his cheap hires, Polian.

Kim was clear in that they felt like they listened to those voices for the "hot up and coming hockey guy" when they hired both Murray and Botterill.

They felt like that path didn't work, so they were going their own way and they were going to hire someone they have worked with for a while.

This was about having a GM that would listen to their input and do their bidding more than hiring the best hockey person available.

Wanting a big voice in hockey ops is the reason that they aren't going to hire a VP of hockey ops.

The Pegulas believe that they are qualified to have a big voice in hockey decisions. That is the biggest issue with the direction of the franchise. Until they realize that isn't the case, we will continue to get what we have been getting.

Reactions: sabremike

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Kim was clear in that they felt like they listened to those voices for the "hot up and coming hockey guy" when they hired both Murray and Botterill.

They felt like that path didn't work, so they were going their own way and they were going to hire someone they have worked with for a while.

This was about having a GM that would listen to their input and do their bidding more than hiring the best hockey person available.

Wanting a big voice in hockey ops is the reason that they aren't going to hire a VP of hockey ops.

The Pegulas believe that they are qualified to have a big voice in hockey decisions. That is the biggest issue with the direction of the franchise. Until they realize that isn't the case, we will continue to get what we have been getting.

Kim imagines herself a top business mind while Terry thinks he's a scout by watching video tapes?!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This x 100000000

The last time the organization made any sense publicly was under LaFontaine. His philosophy and his vision were dead-on IMO and he would have elevated the franchise. I think if Murray had the check-and-balance of LaFontaine and Craig Patrick, everything is a different story with him as well.

Since that strange day when LaFontaine retired, the whole thing has gone downhill and up in flames.

Curious what philosophy and vision of a team had for the team. I don't remember what that was if he said to be "dead-on". What I do know, is that Lafontaine wanted Miller here between the pipes through the rebuild process, which Miller was a UFA to be at the end of the year. This probably means middle of the road draft pick in 2014 and no McEichel season, as I would assume, Miller, already having an attitude on the state of going through 2 years already, would not only want to stay, but to sign a new deal without immediate competitiveness. I doubt Murray would be allowed to trade away prospects Zadorov and Compher if Pat gets his way as well (building through the draft) to get ROR. Nolan most likely stays on long term as well.

What's funny, is that Murray's original vision and philosophy of a heavy and puck possession team was dead on when it came to building a team that could contend, but he needed more time to build that. Unfortunately, because of his terrible choice of a head coach, he had to switch that plan up because his coach couldn't handle that type of roster. Then he was dumb enough to stick with the head coach when that was his out.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Per Shawn Kubiak the sabers looked outside for "hockey people" but the reception wasn't great.

I'm sure most of the interviews ended with "Mrs. Pegula is still the President of the Sabres."

They need to step back, appoint a President that knows, like, anything, and just leave it be. But, ya know, they won't.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Shawn Kubiak??

Isn’t that the troll who said the Risto/Nylander/1st for Point talks with Tampa we’re all but done last year. It was quoted from the WGR comments section.

There are 31 NHL GM jobs -- that's it. Someone will always take it. Adams is their yes man -- he took it with all the garbage because he leap frogged to an elite NHL job. Even if it's Sabres, it's a dream job to many who will NEVER get a chance to be a GM.

Reactions: jc17

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
There are 31 NHL GM jobs -- that's it. Someone will always take it. Adams is their yes man -- he took it with all the garbage because he leap frogged to an elite NHL job. Even if it's Sabres, it's a dream job to many who will NEVER get a chance to be a GM.

32. ;)

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Curious what philosophy and vision of a team had for the team. I don't remember what that was if he said to be "dead-on". What I do know, is that Lafontaine wanted Miller here between the pipes through the rebuild process, which Miller was a UFA to be at the end of the year. This probably means middle of the road draft pick in 2014 and no McEichel season, as I would assume, Miller, already having an attitude on the state of going through 2 years already, would not only want to stay, but to sign a new deal without immediate competitiveness. I doubt Murray would be allowed to trade away prospects Zadorov and Compher if Pat gets his way as well (building through the draft) to get ROR. Nolan most likely stays on long term as well.

What's funny, is that Murray's original vision and philosophy of a heavy and puck possession team was dead on when it came to building a team that could contend, but he needed more time to build that. Unfortunately, because of his terrible choice of a head coach, he had to switch that plan up because his coach couldn't handle that type of roster. Then he was dumb enough to stick with the head coach when that was his out.

The 'story' that LaFontaine wanted to keep and extend Miller and 'ruin' 'McEichel' does not seem to be accurate. It is/was a convenient story (based on when it went down) to make the fans feel better about some warning signs of dysfunctional ownership. Even if he had his (hypothetical) way and kept Miller, could the last 5-6 years possibly be any worse?

The version I heard from some people I know in the local media is that LaFontaine and Kim Pegula clashed on an increasing number of issues and it became more and more volatile until the 'blow-up' day. I guess the straw that broke the back did have to do with Miller. They had the 'parents' road trip with the team. Miller wanted to bring his wife, LaFontaine said no, it was a parents' trip and Kim Pegula overrode him. LaFontaine's authority was consistently undermined. They brought him on as team president.... but he couldnt really president underneath owner(s) who are doing the presidenting at every juncture.

As far as his philosophy. He would always talk about excellence, creating a class organization from the top-down, and winning must come, and is the only standard. He did not pretend to have all the answers, showed humility, and brought on Craig Patrick as a consultant to teach him. I just recall listening to his appearances on the radio and I was eating out of his hand hearing his vision for the organization. Here is his quote from his original day of hire:
"It's going to take a team from top to bottom, and we don't have all the pieces in place," LaFontaine said. "I asked Teddy to come in and change the culture [in the locker room], get everyone on board. I'll work on my side and put the pieces together. My goal is to get the best men out there and build a championship-caliber team."

Now we have this complex network of a flat management structure, growth paths, collaboration, learning, challenge each other with ideas, being in a position to be in games, espresso machines etc... It seems like we have veered so far away from the path to even talk about winning as a standard.

Reactions: sabresfan3383

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The 'story' that LaFontaine wanted to keep and extend Miller and 'ruin' 'McEichel' does not seem to be accurate. It is/was a convenient story (based on when it went down) to make the fans feel better about some warning signs of dysfunctional ownership. Even if he had his (hypothetical) way and kept Miller, could the last 5-6 years possibly be any worse?

The version I heard from some people I know in the local media is that LaFontaine and Kim Pegula clashed on an increasing number of issues and it became more and more volatile until the 'blow-up' day. I guess the straw that broke the back did have to do with Miller. They had the 'parents' road trip with the team. Miller wanted to bring his wife, LaFontaine said no, it was a parents' trip and Kim Pegula overrode him. LaFontaine's authority was consistently undermined. They brought him on as team president.... but he couldnt really president underneath owner(s) who are doing the presidenting at every juncture.

As far as his philosophy. He would always talk about excellence, creating a class organization from the top-down, and winning must come, and is the only standard. He did not pretend to have all the answers, showed humility, and brought on Craig Patrick as a consultant to teach him. I just recall listening to his appearances on the radio and I was eating out of his hand hearing his vision for the organization. Here is his quote from his original day of hire:
"It's going to take a team from top to bottom, and we don't have all the pieces in place," LaFontaine said. "I asked Teddy to come in and change the culture [in the locker room], get everyone on board. I'll work on my side and put the pieces together. My goal is to get the best men out there and build a championship-caliber team."

Now we have this complex network of a flat management structure, growth paths, collaboration, learning, challenge each other with ideas, being in a position to be in games, espresso machines etc... It seems like we have veered so far away from the path to even talk about winning as a standard.

You didn't provide a quote that provides even a hint of his philosophy OR his vision. It's just PR talk about setting standards but doesn't go into great detail at all about what they want to build here. It's a bunch of words to create a sense of optimism that they know what they need to do, without knowing HOW to do it. We hear the same crap every time they hire someone new.

The Miller reports were as "fresh" as the night after Miller was traded away. And Miller signing an extension would've hurt our chances competing for McEichel. Pretty simple if Miller is re-signing here, we are not going to punt away one season to "tank" for Mcdavid or Eichel.

From: Pat LaFontaine Abruptly Quits Buffalo Sabres, Ryan Miller Trade May Be Reason
LaFontaine announced Saturday evening that he was leaving the team, a little more than three months after he was brought on to help forge a new path for the NHL’s last-place team. His announcement also comes nearly 24 hours after the team traded All-Star goalie Ryan Miller to the St. Louis Blues, with sources close to the team indicating that was the reason for his leaving.
Source said that Pat LaFontaine preferred to keep Miller, and was pushing for the team to offer an extension to him. Instead, new general manager Tim Murray traded both Miller and Steve Ott to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for goalie Jaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick, and a conditional 2016 third-round pick.
The official word from both LaFontaine and the Sabres is that he left to return to his job with the NHL.

“Terry Pegula hired me in November, and my primary objective was to lead the Sabres organization through a time of transition,” LaFontaine said in the Sabres’ release. “I’m proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish in a short period of time, and want to thank Terry and Kim Pegula for the opportunity and their support during my time with the Sabres.”
But the sudden departure of LaFontaine points to a power struggle behind the scenes for the Buffalo Sabres. LaFontaine reportedly was told he would have final say over major hockey decisions, but that changed once Tim Murray was hired as general manager. LaFontaine reportedly not sign off on the Ryan Miller trade.

From: Pat LaFontaine resigns from Buffalo Sabres, will he ever be in an NHL team front office again? - TheHockeyNews

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That may be the case. But what does that have to do with me pointing out that Shawn Kubiak is likely a bogus source?

I can’t find a reporter named Shawn Kubiak working in Tampa Bay. The only thing that comes up is a bogus story about that Risto trade I mentioned. That actually came from post in the WGR comments section and even that person said that weren’t sure he even existed.

That point being that maybe a rumor/ report from a bogus reporter is garbage.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Terry fell in love with Ehrhoff after watching the SCFs, so...

Hanging out with Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder has obviously affected them.

:sarcasm:

Eherhoff was a good D on a poorly timed team. Leino was a winger shoehorned into playing C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad