News Article: AP: Pegula focused on efficiency; staying on as Sabres President

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

“Sometimes I kick myself in saying, `How come I didn’t see this sooner? That’s on me,” Pegula said, referring to a restructuring that began last year.

“But that’s what I’m trying to do now, trying to really remold and reshape the organization into what Terry and I envision,” she added, referring to her husband. “One thing I’ve been preaching is sustainability, about how to ensure that we are here in this Buffalo area for a long time.”

I guess "From this point forward, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup." is no longer a thing....

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
upload_2020-6-11_8-28-50.gif

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This is code for the Sabres will not be a team that spends to the cap and will be cutting back on all the spending that creates advantages away from the cap, like training, scouting and zillion other small things that create an advantage.

I already gave back my season's but the final straw -- I'll be picking a new team -- is if Sabres start making bad hockey deals for back diving contracts with high cap hits. I'm done if see stuff like that.

It was one thing to be cheap under Golisanta who knew something about business but the Pegulas and cheapness will create the Devils of the 1980s.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
On one hand, I don't blame the Pegula's for trying to find efficiencies across the many sports franchises.

Each team doesn't need its own graphics department or online ticketing staff, or even social media team. If you can consolidate under PSE and have them serve multiple properties, that's a good thing. Heck, you can probably even have medical staff and trainers that float between teams to save money. These are all good things that will save both teams money.

The issue is, I think there's a disconnect between trying to cut costs and trying to run a successful team. The Sabres are almost always going to lose money and the bills will almost always make money. Barring the Sabres being a cup contender again with multiple playoff rounds every year, they are going to lose $$. That being said, the bills will almost always make that up and more.

The Pegula's would do so much better with a person to handle the media for them. I get it, they want to be up front and available to the community. But, as far as the Sabres fandom is concerned. The knives are out and its going to be 5+ months before we see hockey again.

Reactions: SackTastic

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Go Seattle.

I know you're joking but I've been trying to find another team to really root for like I do Buffalo, but those west coast playing times are brutal for us out east.

The teams I've always hated most are Boston and Leafs, but Tamps has taken that spot for me these past few years with how dirty they've been. I live in NY but can't get myself to root for the Rangers with Anthony Deangelo on the team. I've tried rooting for the Islanders, but I'm not sure how well run of an organization they are. Seems like another Sabres-like team who may make the playoffs once in a while but will never be a serious threat.

So I guess I have to try to be a Hurricanes fan? I do like the team but the owner seems insane and won't pay anyone -- that must be extremely frustrating as a fan. And will be even more so every time he dismantles a successful team every few years to get cheaper talent.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
You would think with all the criticism they've received over the past few months regarding PR statements that they could have, would have, found a better way to answer those questions in the article.

Nope. Tone deaf.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm not judging anyone who feels differently, but even with all this, idk how anyone can just switch teams.

On one hand, I don't blame the Pegula's for trying to find efficiencies across the many sports franchises.

Each team doesn't need its own graphics department or online ticketing staff, or even social media team. If you can consolidate under PSE and have them serve multiple properties, that's a good thing. Heck, you can probably even have medical staff and trainers that float between teams to save money. These are all good things that will save both teams money.
One of the big issues is that they aren't good at determining where to spend their money. I also dont think trying to operate efficiently is inherently bad, but they have had a history of throwing money into certain things that have not helped the team while neglecting things that would. Some are obvious, like we've seen with the roster (which is more a GM issue), but there have also been cases behind the scenes where they've been willing to spend money in certain areas they think will improve the team which didn't worked out because they just weren't good ideas.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The team’s co-owner told The Associated Press in a recent interview she believes she remains the best-suited for the job to streamline the operation, while acknowledging the process has taken longer than expected.

Not sure what breaks my heart more ; the fact that she did an honest self evaluation and still thinks she is the best option, or that she did an honest evaluation of the Sabres organization and decided that it needs "streamlining".

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I know you're joking but I've been trying to find another team to really root for like I do Buffalo, but those west coast playing times are brutal for us out east.

The teams I've always hated most are Boston and Leafs, but Tamps has taken that spot for me these past few years with how dirty they've been. I live in NY but can't get myself to root for the Rangers with Anthony Deangelo on the team. I've tried rooting for the Islanders, but I'm not sure how well run of an organization they are. Seems like another Sabres-like team who may make the playoffs once in a while but will never be a serious threat.

So I guess I have to try to be a Hurricanes fan? I do like the team but the owner seems insane and won't pay anyone -- that must be extremely frustrating as a fan. And will be even more so every time he dismantles a successful team every few years to get cheaper talent.

Eh, not really. I lived in Seattle for 5 years and have plans to move back to the west coast at some point, so I have every intention of following the team from the start. If I end up moving back to Seattle I'd likely go to a lot of home games, though I'm sure the price is going to be out of control. My second team has always been San Jose, so I'm used to watching the west coast games as it is anyway.

At this point I think I'm about done following the Sabres on any kind of frequent basis. Just about every move the organization makes is something I disagree with and I don't see any sort of sense of direction, so what's the point in being a fan? I dropped the Bills around 10 years ago for the same reason, so it looks like Buffalo sports are a thing of the past for me. Being from the town only goes so far when you don't agree with anything the organizations do and you no longer live in the city itself. It's nice to see the Bills starting to turn things around, but that ship sailed a long time ago for me and the Sabres boat is now right behind it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The city of Buffalo doesn't have enough fans or wealth to support an incompetent management. We've seen that with the rink losing fans year after year. I'm sure I will get hammered in here for saying this but I think Pegulas are now threatening the long-term viability of NHL hockey in Buffalo. It's easy to run out crap in Toronto or NYC or Philadelphia with a massive population but Buffalo (albeit with a passionate fan base) will not send 19,070 fans to the rink for last place or. crappy team. People will not get season's and lose money on them because the tickets get run through a corporate account. The rink is full of real fans (it's one of the things that has made it fun) and you have to actually have some value out there. Otherwise it comes out of their personal pockets. I'm not sure Pegulas get this. If they did, they wouldn't have raised ticket prices about 5% after this year. That was pure fantasy.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I've lived in Tampa for the last six years and have never rooted for them as a die hard Sabres fan. I think that may change. I'm done, KP messaging is so off.

Reactions: VaporTrail

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I would love for them to sell the team. They did save the Bills, if Trump or Bon Jovi's group had bought the Bills they'd be gone within 5 years, the NFL doesn't care about Buffalo. The NHL does care about Buffalo and would not allow a new owner to move the team.

Reactions: Vito_81

member 311261

One thing, if it was TP's dream to own the Sabres going back many years, why does it seem like he's completely absentee, with him instead letting the waitress run the team? Could this have been more her dream than his, as she's the true WNY'er.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This is code for the Sabres will not be a team that spends to the cap and will be cutting back on all the spending that creates advantages away from the cap, like training, scouting and zillion other small things that create an advantage.

I already gave back my season's but the final straw -- I'll be picking a new team -- is if Sabres start making bad hockey deals for back diving contracts with high cap hits. I'm done if see stuff like that.

It was one thing to be cheap under Golisanta who knew something about business but the Pegulas and cheapness will create the Devils of the 1980s.

Fine with me. This organization has been so poor with the fundamentals, maybe thinking they could take shortcuts by outspending. Get back to the basics. This is not a defense of the Pegula’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad