Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
what happened? was it a wisdom tooth extraction?

My sister got married last weekend. The wedding itself was great - pretty much entirely outdoors on a super warm weekend...the wedding photos were pretty basic...the cousin of my sister's partner is a photographer and did it all for free. Everyone was happy. The thing is none of us - on either side - are really 'pose for pictures' types of people. I mean we did some formal shots - but not too many. Maybe we'll regret it later.

Congrats to your sister!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
B.S. People got along fine without cell phones. People are far more needy now, that's why they have to stay connected 24/7. I wouldn't mind one bit if an EMP from space came and wiped it all out so we could start over and learn from our mistakes.

Phone, Keys, Wallet, Ring

Always do my check before I leave. It's brutal forgetting one of them. And yes, it's incredibly sad as people we have to stay connected.

I'd feel differently if I didn't have kids whose schools may have to get ahold of me in case of an emergency or something. I wouldn't worry about it, and wouldn't think twice about going the day without it. That's the biggest reason for my anxiety related to it. As far as the check, I think I've only forgotten my phone at home maybe one time other than this ever. I'm usually pretty good about it, as I'm an IT system admin, and my personal phone is also used for business purposes, so it's almost necessary that I have it on me.

I'm not one of those that has to stay "connected" at all times. Hell, this site is the extent of my "social media" presence. No Facebook. Don't use Twitter other than to follow some of the hockey and football related people. I think I've tweeted once on it ever... and it was merely to get in a drawing for a free hat from my work. No instagram, snapchat, or anything else, really. I mean, I have all the accounts, but I never use them for anything. I don't see the point to it all.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My sister got married last weekend. The wedding itself was great - pretty much entirely outdoors on a super warm weekend...the wedding photos were pretty basic...the cousin of my sister's partner is a photographer and did it all for free. Everyone was happy. The thing is none of us - on either side - are really 'pose for pictures' types of people. I mean we did some formal shots - but not too many. Maybe we'll regret it later.

I'm not a big picture person either generally, but I did really like our wedding photos. We have several that are up in our house that I really like. I think it will be fun to show our kids when they are older and I love how beautiful my wife looks in all the pictures.

It's also really nice to have the photographer making sure to getting all kinds of pictures of the families and keeping track of that. My family in particular is very spread out so it's nice to get a few shots of everyone together as it's rare that everyone is in the same place at the same time. It's nice to not have to worry about that side of it and now that you're getting all the pictures you want.

Congrats to your family on the wedding.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
A big thing with our photographer was she constantly was taking us away from the party to get the photos.

She had a helper but he kinda sucked. They did a poor job capturing all the guests, focused it all on us. In laws felt they didn't get any photos with us . And she wasn't cheap at all, I think it was $2.5-$3k. (she rented all silverware and decor too so that's in the price). That is our "biggest" miss IMO.

I am not "connected" either. I do browse here and Reddit frequently tho.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The photographer at my sisters wedding did good job it seemed of getting everything done

After wedding he kept families/people involved in wedding for photo's at the church (Only took a couple minutes) then at reception center he and his assistant set up a photo are at back of wedding hall and took pics of all families , age groups , etc that people came up with that wanted photo's taken

And of course had photo's of key moments (Dinner , dancing , etc)

All in all seemed worth it though it is very expensive

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Formal photography at the church and then disposables at the reception seems like the best of both worlds

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Someone had mentioned the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, been catching up on it. Really good as always from Ken Burns. No McCain or Kerry in this one, in fact, it's all based around random soldiers and families. The best part is that it comes at it from the Viet Cong side too, lots of interviewers with former soldiers on that side. You can see how both sides weren't all that different when it came to the people on the battlefield. And man, JFK and LBJ and all of the other politicians come off really bad. Makes you mad if you don't like politicians. They play their phone conversations with each other and they are just so clueless and heartless, it's pretty ****ed up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Someone had mentioned the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, been catching up on it. Really good as always from Ken Burns. No McCain or Kerry in this one, in fact, it's all based around random soldiers and families. The best part is that it comes at it from the Viet Cong side too, lots of interviewers with former soldiers on that side. You can see how both sides weren't all that different when it came to the people on the battlefield. And man, JFK and LBJ and all of the other politicians come off really bad. Makes you mad if you don't like politicians. They play their phone conversations with each other and they are just so clueless and heartless, it's pretty ****ed up.

think about this, the bold, while i do agree with your pov, i am saying, since Truman time, i really can't stand the politicians stands and pov on any military conflict. except for the Gulf War.

if the US is forced into a War, then win the freaking thing and to hell with the politics of the consequences.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
think about this, the bold, while i do agree with your pov, i am saying, since Truman time, i really can't stand the politicians stands and pov on any military conflict. except for the Gulf War.

if the US is forced into a War, then win the freaking thing and to hell with the politics of the consequences.

Yeah, they both pulled that crap when they were each heading into the election. They lied about how we were doing to get re-elected and held off on the gruesome Agent Orange and bombings and the extra troops until they were secure in their position. It was ridiculous. You kind of wonder if the defense department should be separated from the political arm. Either that or go to a single term limit for the president, in fact, just extend that to all political positions.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Toronto has been the same. We had a ****** August, so maybe I shouldn't complain about an extra month of warm weather...but I'm kinda ready for some cooler autumn air. Toronto can also be pretty bad for humidity - I think Chicago's the same, no?

Yeah, Chicago is normally pretty damn humid throughout the summer. Lately... it has been unseasonably hot AND humid.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So back to steaks...

My chef just told me that it's totally fine to get a filet cooked rare. The whole thing where you need the fat to melt to maximize flavor applies to fattier cuts like ribeyes and such. The filet is the leanest cut so you're not getting much fat in there anyway.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I can’t inagine ever ordering a filet ever again. Always a toss up between a ribeye and ny strip for me.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Wife is a country fan so we went to see Brad Paisley last night, he puts on a good show with lots of humor.
Helluva guitar player too.

One gripe, all the obviously contrived "Chi-Town" references and such. Are they really necessary?
It seems so forced.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Welp

George-Clooney.gif

CBS blows

Pilot for new Star Trek was absolutely awful and its off free TV and onto the CBS paid streaming site for whatever is left of its run. I hope the show fails miserably

I hope next person that tries Star Trek show actually knows what they are doing

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well, made it out of the wedding alive.

I was absolutely drained by the end of it all, though. Minus a little time in the party bus, I was outside almost the entire time from 8 am - midnight. I had to slow down some on the booze by the end and drink some water, but I made it out alive and actually avoided a pretty nasty hangover!

Oh, and I guess the important part... the wedding was awesome!

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh man, I don't know how I feel about this. Looks nice, but change is scary. Even more scary is wondering whether I have to change my image sizes for the GDT theme I made earlier today (you best not have messed with my sizes HF!).

Also, apparently you can like comments now. So I expect you guys to like each and everything I write. Even if I say something crazy like "I Like ketchup on icecream", you guys better give it a thumbs up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad