Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There are other antennas that you can put in balcony that aren't so obnoxious, but performance may vary.

Alright, will have to do more research. I'll never understand why cable companies, even with the cord cutting, insist on the high prices. These are some of the biggest companies in the country and they are going to shoot themselves in the face out of spite to their customers? I must be missing something...

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Alright, will have to do more research. I'll never understand why cable companies, even with the cord cutting, insist on the high prices. These are some of the biggest companies in the country and they are going to shoot themselves in the face out of spite to their customers? I must be missing something...

I think I get what you are saying...

Some say this Cord cutting/streaming movement is unsustainable. Eventually, they will raise prices and throughout bundling we will be right where we were minus ridiculous fees for boxes.

Personally, just sell me per channel ($1.50 for AMC, $2 for ESPN, $3 for TBS, etc).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think I get what you are saying...

Some say this Cord cutting/streaming movement is unsustainable. Eventually, they will raise prices and throughout bundling we will be right where we were minus ridiculous fees for boxes.

Personally, just sell me per channel ($1.50 for AMC, $2 for ESPN, $3 for TBS, etc).

With you, that's the dream, I wouldn't even mind if it was $10 a channel. A cursory search shows Comcast stock down 7%. That's pretty significant for a big company like that. They should be rolling out specials to get people locked in.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Ever since the baby came, both my wife and I have had serious case of "home sick", we've been away for going on 4 years.

Just booked tickets to come back for Holidays though. That should help it a bit.

Realistically, it's at least 3-4 years from even remotely considering going back.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I know we have a lot of Canadian posters around here so this would probably be news to them but actor from Trailer Park Boys who played Jim Lahey has passed away. John Dunsworth is his name

I only saw the movie (Countdown to Liquor day) but it seemed pretty entertaining and funny

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also for Canadians what was movie I am thinking of from a few years ago with a guy character named Dean (I think it was Dean) who ends up with testicular cancer and at one point has his friend break his foot at an oil pipeline to try and get workman's comp?

It was a comedy and pretty Canadian and was shown on TMC around same time they would show that Trailer Park boys movie

Both were entertaining

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its sequel FUBAR: Balls to the Wall is the movie I am talking about and saw

Honestly with regards to Canadian cinema mediocre , bad or average horror movies are what I am more familiar with (Stuff like My Bloody Valentine)

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

After we discussed this earlier, I called my cable company. I told them they're ripping me off. That I've been a customer for 5 years, and I'm giving them a warning that I'm *this* close to switching to cutting the cord. Funny - the lady at WOW told me she does that herself, though in her defense WOW isn't available where she lives.

They did end up cutting my bill by $25 for the next year...so $154 instead of $179. Still not good enough, but probably good enough to slow me down in my quest to ultimately fix this. I'll probably wait til I hopefully buy something next springs nd do the switch at that point.

Reactions: Easy E

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I do watch some other things. But my understanding is non sports content is easy to find good streaming packages or prices for.

Also I'm about to sign a new phone contract with t-mobile, and that comes with free netflix. So I'll have amazon prime, netflix and HBO go for starters, without any extra money being paid. It's a decent start.

My thought was I'd buy a package from sling tv or hula...I haven't researched this heavily enough yet. Like I said, I'm mostly concerned about the sports stuff.

How do you get hbo go without paying for hbo?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i know i am really late on this one, but i really do not watch TV. the problem is i have 4 of them and my family each is watching their fav show. me, i just stay on the puter and watch what movies i want.

i just saw SNL Kate McKinnon skit this past show...... i am now saying i am a fan of hers. i spent most of this morning youtubing her skits..... had a great laugh and sorry but she is very pretty.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Breath of the Wild has gotten me to seriously consider my pantheon of favorite games of all time for the first time in a while, and after a decent amount of deliberation, I think I'd put my ranking as follows:

1) Chrono Trigger - SNES
2) Final Fantasy VI - SNES
3) Breath of the Wild - Switch
4) Link to the Past - SNES
5) Okami - PS2
6) Risk of Rain - PC
7) Just Cause 2 - Xbox 360
8) Skyrim - PS4 version
9) FTL - iPad version
10) Mario Kart 64 - N64

Think I'm locked in on those ten, unless I'm forgetting something, with the caveat that 2/3 and 5/6 are likely swappable or near swappable in my head.

With the following honorable mentions as of right now (that will surely expand): Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Super Mario 3, Bubble Bobble, FreeSpace and/or FreeSpace 2, Undertale, GTA: San Andreas, Final Fantasy IX, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Fallout 3 and/or Fallout: New Vegas.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
With regards to the cable/streaming thing, it seems that it's going to be sort of a circular problem. With cable, you could get everything in one place. But why should I have to pay for channels I don't watch?

With streaming, there seem to be more and more options and it's becoming so segmented (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Sling, etc) that it seems that the problem is going to be, I don't want to have to log on to each thing individually to view my shows/tv. Why can't I have them bundled together?

It's like streaming is going to run into the same problem that cable had solved, if that makes sense.

I say all this with as someone who still pays way to much for Comcast and has limited experience with streaming. My hesitation is the (perceived?) inconvenience of having to pay for multiple services and access them in various ways. Comcast is too expensive no question, but I do like that everything is easy to access (live TV, dvr, on demand, rentals).

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I have Hulu and Netflix and get everything I could possibly want. Once Hulu started their Live TV service and included sports channels it was game on for me. Cut the cord and went strictly with that and already had Netflix.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have Hulu and Netflix and get everything I could possibly want. Once Hulu started their Live TV service and included sports channels it was game on for me. Cut the cord and went strictly with that and already had Netflix.
Does Hulu live tv have CSN Chicago?

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Breath of the Wild has gotten me to seriously consider my pantheon of favorite games of all time for the first time in a while, and after a decent amount of deliberation, I think I'd put my ranking as follows:

1) Chrono Trigger - SNES
2) Final Fantasy VI - SNES
3) Breath of the Wild - Switch
4) Link to the Past - SNES
5) Okami - PS2
6) Risk of Rain - PC
7) Just Cause 2 - Xbox 360
8) Skyrim - PS4 version
9) FTL - iPad version
10) Mario Kart 64 - N64

Think I'm locked in on those ten, unless I'm forgetting something, with the caveat that 2/3 and 5/6 are likely swappable or near swappable in my head.

With the following honorable mentions as of right now (that will surely expand): Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Super Mario 3, Bubble Bobble, FreeSpace and/or FreeSpace 2, Undertale, GTA: San Andreas, Final Fantasy IX, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Fallout 3 and/or Fallout: New Vegas.

1. Diablo 2 + D2 LoD

FF7 and FF10 were excellent as well.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah that Hula package looks good. The only thing I notice off the top of my head that they don't have is AMC. But I think Walking Dead episodes are on Netflix - which I'll have if I do sign with t-mobile. I'm just waiting for black Friday before I sign the phone deal.

I would miss the DVR. I see they only have 50 hours, which is next to nothing compared to what I have and use now. Sacrifices will have to be made. Working 2nd shift I've come to rely on DVR to watch most things.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah that Hula package looks good. The only thing I notice off the top of my head that they don't have is AMC. But I think Walking Dead episodes are on Netflix - which I'll have if I do sign with t-mobile. I'm just waiting for black Friday before I sign the phone deal.

I would miss the DVR. I see they only have 50 hours, which is next to nothing compared to what I have and use now. Sacrifices will have to be made. Working 2nd shift I've come to rely on DVR to watch most things.

Remember, though, Hulu still runs on-demand as well, so shows are available at 4am the morning after they've aired live in the event you run out of DVR space. They're still available to see any time, basically.

We've been exclusively with Hulu (had Netflix already prior) for a few months and it's been great. Like I said before, once they added the Live service and added a bunch of channels and local sports channels it was a no-brainer for me.

Reactions: TorMenT and Sarava

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This information has been so helpful. Can't wait to tell Comcast to piss off and give my business to Hulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad