Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Eat some grouper then, lol. Exciting times.

Last night on the egg we grilled some snapper and swordfish caught that morning, and some scottish salmon. Salmon and swordfish were unreal, snapper was just ok. Which is weird because snapper is one of my favorite fish.

And amazingly enough, we have what looks to be a pretty amazing fish market right next to our apartment in SLC, that claims the fish is flown in daily. Lets hope that's true.... happily pay a little extra per pound if that's the case.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Last night on the egg we grilled some snapper and swordfish caught that morning, and some scottish salmon. Salmon and swordfish were unreal, snapper was just ok. Which is weird because snapper is one of my favorite fish.

And amazingly enough, we have what looks to be a pretty amazing fish market right next to our apartment in SLC, that claims the fish is flown in daily. Lets hope that's true.... happily pay a little extra per pound if that's the case.

Nice, that's amazing to have a fish market next door, you're so lucky.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Looks legit, yeah, you'll be able to enjoy exotic West coast fish now and of course the salmon will be amazing and probably a little cheaper.
oh man, i do my buying online from the Ak online fish market..... take my word, fresh halibut is great.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
oh man, i do my buying online from the Ak online fish market..... take my word, fresh halibut is great.

How much is shipping? That's always my biggest issue.

Post the name or link of where you order from when you can, if you don't mind.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, I'd be interested in the link too. Have always been interested in trying an online order but never seemed to find a place I was comfortable with trying it for the prices offered.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So...I'm thinking of trying to cut the cord early next year. IE; getting rid of cable and rely on streaming. The $180 cable bill has gotten old real fast.

Since we're all sports fans here, how possible is it to do this and still get sports games - primarily Sox, Bears, Hawks and even the Cubs for my wife?

I'm not looking to steal anything. How can I legally stream at a reduced costs from what I pay to WOW cable? My understanding is the national sports packages (like mlb network, nhl network, etc.) are all local blackouts (and I do live in the Chicago area), so how can this be done, if at all?

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So...I'm thinking of trying to cut the cord early next year. IE; getting rid of cable and rely on streaming. The $180 cable bill has gotten old real fast.

Since we're all sports fans here, how possible is it to do this and still get sports games - primarily Sox, Bears, Hawks and even the Cubs for my wife?

I'm not looking to steal anything. How can I legally stream at a reduced costs from what I pay to WOW cable? My understanding is the national sports packages (like mlb network, nhl network, etc.) are all local blackouts (and I do live in the Chicago area), so how can this be done, if at all?

+1. Don't watch enough TV outside of sports but at the same time, would like to retain the ability to DVR sports and make no sacrifices to quality.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
+1. Don't watch enough TV outside of sports but at the same time, would like to retain the ability to DVR sports and make no sacrifices to quality.

I do watch some other things. But my understanding is non sports content is easy to find good streaming packages or prices for.

Also I'm about to sign a new phone contract with t-mobile, and that comes with free netflix. So I'll have amazon prime, netflix and HBO go for starters, without any extra money being paid. It's a decent start.

My thought was I'd buy a package from sling tv or hula...I haven't researched this heavily enough yet. Like I said, I'm mostly concerned about the sports stuff.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I do watch some other things. But my understanding is non sports content is easy to find good streaming packages or prices for.

Also I'm about to sign a new phone contract with t-mobile, and that comes with free netflix. So I'll have amazon prime, netflix and HBO go for starters, without any extra money being paid. It's a decent start.

My thought was I'd buy a package from sling tv or hula...I haven't researched this heavily enough yet. Like I said, I'm mostly concerned about the sports stuff.

Yeah, me too, concerned about losing DVR though. I wish they just had a basic, $100/month cable and DVR package. I'd be fine with that. There's enough knowledgeable people here, someone will know the best options.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I read it as he bought her flowers but no other gift on her birthday.
I mean, if you completely forget her birthday.... yeah, you ****ed up

You read it correctly. I bought her flowers and no other gift... It wasn't my best effort, I agree with her on that, I should have given better effort for my wife.

Going on vacation at the end of the month. Pretty sure I'm going to propose while we're in New York.

Congrats man. I'll be proposing soon too.

Congrats to both of you. Enjoy the moment. Proposal was such a high intensity moment for me. I'm more of a private (boring) guy so I didnt do anything crazy.

Well... Since you are in market, the closest you can get is probably Sling TV + indoor antenna(cheap and amazing quality). Sling is the only service that has a product to tie local channels + paid channels into one guide vs having to flip back to over the air and back to app. You will have all of your locals, NBCSN, CSNSN, which should cover you for the majority of the games.

Other than that, you can try PS Vue. Pretty much same thing, can't combine local interface with PS Vue interface, little more pricey.

You must be able to hardwire the connection otherwise you will have a bad experience. And a decent internet bandwidth.

I cut the cord with 18 months left on my contract. Paid $360 to get out. But now I'm spending $20 a month vs $90. Payback is quick!

Streaming TV is only better if you can reduce the number of "add-ons" to your package. If you are getting the basic package + HBO + Sports Extra + DVR, you will be pretty high right out of the gate.

$180 is ludicrous. You need to switch.

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Thanks Easy E. The $180 does include internet - though WOW internet is mediocre at best. I don't even have any movie channels. I do have DVR capabilities on 3 tv's though.

I was goimng to wait...my lease is up at the end of February, at which time we planned on hopefully buying something. I don't know, maybe there's no reason to wait though.

I'll piggyback on Coldsteel's question - is there a way to dvr this stuff if you cut the cord? I work 2nd shift and usually have to watch things dvr'd...

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Thanks Easy E. The $180 does include internet - though WOW internet is mediocre at best. I don't even have any movie channels. I do have DVR capabilities on 3 tv's though.

I was goimng to wait...my lease is up at the end of February, at which time we planned on hopefully buying something. I don't know, maybe there's no reason to wait though.

I'll piggyback on Coldsteel's question - is there a way to dvr this stuff if you cut the cord? I work 2nd shift and usually have to watch things dvr'd...

Yes, both Sling and Vue offer DVR as an extra. The way it works is you get a certain number of hours you can record. Ie I think Sling is 50 hours of storage.

For multiple streams, you will want to use PS Vue. I believe you can have up to 5 TVs going at once. Sling is 2 I believe, but maybe you can pay for more.

Reactions: Sarava

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yes, both Sling and Vue offer DVR as an extra. The way it works is you get a certain number of hours you can record. Ie I think Sling is 50 hours of storage.

For multiple streams, you will want to use PS Vue. I believe you can have up to 5 TVs going at once. Sling is 2 I believe, but maybe you can pay for more.

Sling sounds very appealing. Where does the antenna you mentioned earlier come into it?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The converter box is for free cable, 2,5,7,9 etc. It costs like $30, I've got one on the deck and I'll bring my 32" vizio out to the deck to watch games weather permitting.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Sling sounds very appealing. Where does the antenna you mentioned earlier come into it?

I bought one from Amazon. Its one of the higher rated ones, there is an antenna forum that helps pick the one best for your Geo.

You throw the antenna either on your roof, or in attic (mine is in attic works great, need a lot of space, it's probably 8ft tall), hook a coax cable up to it, drag through walls, connect to AirTV box(only box that has the combo capability), that's it. The AirTV box also acts as a Chromecast, it's a bit goofy looking, but I love it for what I use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad