Anyone changed their tune on hockey fights?

Double

Feb 14, 2008
For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of hockey fights. But several developments over the years have changed my attitude. Most prominently, the death of Derek Boogaard and the discovery of how the lifestyle on an enforcer is prone to several personal and professional praftfalls, including depression, anxiety, addiction, and alcoholism, among other issues.

All of these are among the reasons I no longer enjoy hockey fights. Anyone else have similar sentiment?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It may very well be a case of correlation instead of causation but I first started watching hockey at 15 and well, now, I'm 29. I liked them at first but now I think they're silly and would actually use the word "immature" to describe it. Physicality has its place in the game but not fighting.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Nope. And, I am someone who once had an anti-fighting stance. My opinion started to changed when I was around thirteen years old.

The thing is, hockey has always been a barbaric sport. Whether there is fighting or not. Look how dangerous a puck can be; or the sticks, the hard surface of the ice, the razor sharp skate blades, the equipment, the boards, the speed of the game, and the hitting. If you're opposed to fighting because you're concerned about the risk; you should be opposed to the game of hockey it self.

It's not just enforcers that suffer from depression, a wide variety of players do; although I do agree that on average enforcers are more likely to suffer from depression than those who aren't. Bottom line is (which we all can agree on), there's need to a more efficient program for players who do suffer from a mental illness.

I for one will always be a proponent of fighting in hockey and the role of the enforcer.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Love fighting, one of my favorite things about the sport. With that said, i don't like the role of a dedicated enforcer. I really like winning, if a guy can score 20 goals and go out and kick the crap out of someone then that is awesome. I don't miss as a wasted roster spot. Its not like an enforcer will go and fight a 1st-2nd line player, they end up fighting another enforcer or light heavyweight.

Im a flyers fan that was born in the late 80's i really started watching when Eric Lindros came into the game...he would kick the **** out of you then go and score 30-40 goals. Give me that any day of the week. That is entertainment.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd be all for it, long as it was an integral part of the game; but it's not. Fighting doesn't serve a purpose anymore, apart from being a sideshow.
If I want to watch fighting for fighting sake, give me MMA. I get no satisfaction watching hockey players try and fight properly. Its akin to watching a bar brawl.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I love fighting for the same reason I love hockey in general, it's a sport of intense and angry passions due to the physical nature of the game. If hockey didn't contain an element of violence, it wouldn't be nearly as pleasing to either play or watch. It's a macho sport, an arena of testosterone, and fighting plays into that. I don't view fighting as either a necessary or unnecessary element of the game, I view it as a symptom of the adrenaline rush. Taking fighting out of the game coincides with a decreased emphasis on the physically domineering aspect of hockey, they're pretty much inseparable. That's not really hockey I want to watch or compete in.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
I haven't changed my stance on fighting.

I love it and hope that it remains part of the game for a long time.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
i've been a big proponent of fighting but have switched completely, I hope there insn't another NHL fight ever. Additionally I also hope that pitchers would stop protecting their teamates by throwing a little chin music and that the barbarity that happens on the football field gets abolished as the nhl implements two hand touch andthat the human **** fight that is boxing and the mma is relegated to the dustbin of history. Dont get me going on how the cops and the firemen don'tt do their jobs to myaesthetic satisfaction either, that REALLY grinds my gears. And those crab fishermen ? Don't they have a TV to see how dangerous it is ? Dont get me started on that scofflaw Nick Wallenda.

on the other hand that all seems a little silly, I'll go back to letting the players decide when to go since they don't fight for your, or my, enjoyment anyways. Fights go up, fights go down. The players are the barometer, and if you want beef's on the ice to be settled at the end of the stick, go watch the boom boom Murray video and say you want more of THAT. I want none of that.

fighting goes away when the players want it to go away. I'm sure that day is " imminent"

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
on the other hand that all seems a little silly, I'll go back to letting the players decide when to go since they don't fight for your, or my, enjoyment anyways.

This is the end-all of the argument, right here. Only the players should decide whether fighting continues to be part of the game anymore.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I didn't really like/find the point in fighting but now I enjoy a fight here and there when it's actually two angry decent players just going at it in a split second decision, long staged-looking, paycheck-grabbing enforcer fights are crap

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I haven't changed my stance on fighting.

I love it and hope that it remains part of the game for a long time.

I agree with the above. However, I would like to add that I like a fair fight. No big guy pounding on a little guy, or a guy with 100 fights against a guy with 3, or somebody jumping somebody else from behind.

If I was a ref, the instigator would be ejected for any of the above circumstances.
People with 30 or 40 fights a season are dinosaurs on their way out of hockey. I an equally glad to see that occur.

steezyjeeves

Apr 18, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I didn't really like/find the point in fighting but now I enjoy a fight here and there when it's actually two angry decent players just going at it in a split second decision, long staged-looking, paycheck-grabbing enforcer fights are crap

Exactly this. If it's in the heat of the moment, I'm a fan. If its two guys who are paid to hurt each other, not so much.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I agree with the above. However, I would like to add that I like a fair fight. No big guy pounding on a little guy, or a guy with 100 fights against a guy with 3, or somebody jumping somebody else from behind.

If I was a ref, the instigator would be ejected for any of the above circumstances.
People with 30 or 40 fights a season are dinosaurs on their way out of hockey. I an equally glad to see that occur.

Even more reason to dress a tougher line up. If you're a soft team this will likely happen to you.

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Love fighting, one of my favorite things about the sport. With that said, i don't like the role of a dedicated enforcer. I really like winning, if a guy can score 20 goals and go out and kick the crap out of someone then that is awesome. I don't miss as a wasted roster spot. Its not like an enforcer will go and fight a 1st-2nd line player, they end up fighting another enforcer or light heavyweight

My thoughts exactly.

There was a time when I watched hockey majorly for fighting. My mind has changed now, I enjoy a goal or a big save more than I enjoy a fight, but I still want it in the game, I think it serves a purpose.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Exactly this. If it's in the heat of the moment, I'm a fan. If its two guys who are paid to hurt each other, not so much.

if they are paid to hurt each other, they would do it with sticks. But the enforcers were paid to FIGHT each other, almost exclusively with the coaches complete consent.
Yes sometimes a fight goes south and people get injured, but in terms of intent to injure it's rarely there. I've seen WAY more guys get hurt because some jabronie got brave with their stick or decided to number run a guy. I've also seen the converse that during a fight, if a guy gets tagged and, even momentarily, can't defend himself the throwing stops. Even the biggest and baddest guys know that they can get tagged but good and they overwhelmingly act the way they would like theother guy to act if they were on the other end.

and its not always heat of the moment, if a guy runs out goalie I WANT one of out guys to force the issue ( whether willing or not) the next time that guy steps on the ice. Hockey players, despite often being described as not the sharpest tools in the shed, have LONG memories. Every enforcer knows there are times to go and times not to go because in all likelihood the chance to settle the score will present itself.

I'm thinking of the stars/bruins back to back to backer where they had three different bouts within the first 10 seconds of the game. You think that the coaches were aghast that it came to that ? how could any of that be " heat of the moment" ? What about when Gaustead went " better late than never" with lucic ?
to me those are perfectly good fights.

If player 25 thinks that player 12 is taking liberties on the ice, the fact that some kid in section 110 or someone behind a keyboard doesnt see the usefullness of dropping the gloves is in all likelihood, literally, that furthest thing on a players mind.

As much as some people hate it, in the nhl the players police the game. as such they get to decide collectively when to fight or even whether there should be any fighting at all. if it offends or even alienates some fans, tough because they aint fighting for anyone's entertainment or consent,

I defer to the players, whatever they decide is fine by me as they are the ones with skin in the game.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I love ''in the heat of the moment'' fights.

Meaningful fights, momentum changing fights.

The whele staged fight business is moronic.

I wouldn't forbid fighting in Hockey that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad