Anyone able to watch todays Canada Practices for WJHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Greg7 said:
Ultimately everyone should be hoping that Price earns the job anyway, because of the four goalies when they are all at the top of their games, Price is the best of them. Obviously you can't give him the spot unless he earns it (which I think he will anyway), but if he does earn it that is excellent news for Canada. I am a little nervous Pogge will win it, which would likely mean average at best goaltending. Don't misinterpret that as me thinking he shouldn't get it - whoever earns it should without question get it - but if Pogge is indeed the best of the 4, that is bad news in my opinion.

If as you say Price is the best goaltender there why should he have to earn it?
It should be obvious Price is the guy and the only competition there should be for the backup spot.
If Pogge means average at best goaltending for Canada then there is absolutely NO WAY he should ever have recieved consideration.
Goaltenders that at the best of their abilities only manage to be "average" aren't even close to being amongst the best young goalies in Canada.

Whoever earns it should get it, I agree. But if Pogge is as bad as you imply, and Price as good as you imply then Price will have already earned it. And Pogge eliminated a long time ago.

Sutter isn't here to play favourites or to intentionally pick a lesser goaltender. The goalies aren't here because they got lucky. Their here because their the top WJC eligible Canadian goalies. The best goaltender that Canada has will be chosen.

As a Leafs fan I'm hoping that's Pogge, but if so it won't be because Sutter is being kind to him or he had one brief strong practice and is otherwise a lackluster goalie. It will be because he is better then Ellis/Price/Dubnyk right now.
If Pogge isn't chosen, if Pogge is average at best then he won't be on the team. And that will be justified. We can't afford to choose lesser goalies then to be kind to them.
Canada isn't so much better then everyone else that we can knowingly go in with less then optimal goaltending.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Lets talk about the players instead of the goalies already haha. Im pretty certain Pogge will be the starter and they'll name the backup within a few days. Pogge is playing like a pro right now and standing on his head for the hitmen too. Dont forget theres two pretournament games against the czech and the russians so maybe even Sutter waits until after those guys to name which of the 2 goalies he selects is going to be the starter.

On a side note, someone mentioned pokulok stood out?!? Woah, what does this mean, did he stand out offensively, defensively or what? Id like a bigger report on him. Hows letang looked too? And Im still looking for more reports on Setoguchi and Pouliot if I can get em. Thanks guys.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
LaLaLaprise said:
Only 100 fans? Sheesh. Best junior aged players in Canada and only 100 people show???

Clearly, one can't help but have to start thinking that if their attendance continues to struggle, Canada should perhaps be contracted or even relocated to Mexico.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
turnbuckle said:
Are you being serious, or are you just sore that Ellis stunk?

I don't give a damn about Ellis one way or the other...2 seconds of looking at my post history should explain why. ;)

As has been the case on many occasion for them before, they are at a training camp competing for spots NOW. The two best goaltenders NOW will be picked for the team. The top seven defencemen NOW will be patrolling the blueline.

And that's my point - IMO if you're going to pick a team of players based on such a small sample size, why even bother? Why not just do what the US does, have done with it and spend this week working with the team you KNOW will be hitting the ice when it matters?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Thanks Ronald, please look at Pouliot Setoguchi Letang and Pokulok specifically if possible. Obviously take care of your own agenda first but a report on these guys would be very helpful.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Eb0la11 said:
Thanks Ronald, please look at Pouliot Setoguchi Letang and Pokulok specifically if possible. Obviously take care of your own agenda first but a report on these guys would be very helpful.
I'll keep an eye on them for sure, as with anyone else on the cusp. I can't find a roster for the game on the hockey canada website. Hopefully there wll be some at the game.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
When are the first set of cuts made? I thought I read it was Thursday (today)??

Sutter said following Wednesday's intra-squad game that no players will be released before Friday. He had said earlier during this week's selection camp he might consider cutting some players Thursday.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Alter Haudegen said:
Sutter said following Wednesday's intra-squad game that no players will be released before Friday. He had said earlier during this week's selection camp he might consider cutting some players Thursday.

Thanks

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I was at the game last night and these are my observations.

Team Red

Goal – Ellis
His team did not play well in front of him, but he let in soft ones as well. If Sutter’s selection was based on this performance, there would be no way he would be on the team.

Defense

Barker-Letang
Best pair on team red. Barker looked solid out there and Letang looked good as well.

Funk-Schultz
Worst tandem on either team. Funk had multiple give aways and Schultz is really slow out there. Both looked awful.

Parent-Vlasic
Didn’t really notice much about this pair, but with 8 goals against, that doesn’t say much.

Forwards

Latendresse-Boyd-Comeau

Latendresse drove to the net a few times, but he wasn’t getting good chances and didn’t play as physical as a guy his size should. Bourdon rode him out a few times and didn’t give him much. Boyd and Comeau looked alright, but didn’t do anything spectacular on the evening.

Brassard-Pouliot-Blunden
This was the worst line of either team. Pouliot was the only stand out on this trio and it wasn’t because of anything positive. I was expecting to see something special from him since he was a 4th overall pick this year. He does have good hands and is a great passer, but he was floating out there all night long. I can’t see Sutter wanting that type of effort on his team. The worst part of his game was that he was hooking guys every shift. Both Stephenson and Bourdon wanted a piece of him. There were shifts where all he did was water ski on guys' ribs with his hooks. Bourdon got really steamed at him in the third because of this and both those guys were yapping back and forth in the penalty box. You could tell that Bourdon wanted to fight him, but Pouliot backed away from him. Pouliot went out for the last shift of the game and Bourdon leaped over the boards when he saw him going out there, but again Pouliot kept his distance.

Chucko-Esposito-Downie
Chucko looked really slow out there. He shouldn’t be on the team. I know Bob McKenzie said that Esposito won’t make the team, but he was by far the most creative player on a very poor Team Red. He lacked a strong finish, but created several chances out there. Its just too bad that he was playing with Chucko, who couldn’t keep up, and Downie, who was too busy trying to be an agitator. Downie was noticeable out there. He could be a valuable agitator for Team Canada, but he will have to pick his spots better. He had a few penalties away from the play that weren’t necessary. I missed 2 goals while watching him repeatedly go after Marc Staal outside the blueline away from the play. Staal looked like he got hurt on one of those exchanges. Downie got a goaltender interference penalty and complained to the ref. It was funny because the ref right away said, “You jumped on him, you idiotâ€.

Team White

Goalie – Price
His rebound control on the first goal looked bad, but he was pretty cold at that time, facing only 5 shots, and Downie was right on him. The rest of the game he was solid and he absorbed and held the rest of the long shots. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the starter this year.

Defense

Bourdon-Russell
Bourdon was awesome out there. He was involved in every aspect of the game. He picked up numerous assists, made great outlet passes, delivered some hits, played well positionally and is a great skater. As a Canucks fan, I really wish he was on the team this year instead of McCarty or Baumgartner. I hadn’t seen much of him before this, but it is clear to see why so many people hype him. There was one play that he jumped up as the third guy on the rush, drove deep to the net and moments later was back in position on defense … he really is a fantastic skater. Russell played well with him.

Pokulok-Staal
I had never seen Pokuluk before and didn’t know what to expect. He surprised me, as he was easily the second best defenseman out there last night. My brother actually thought he was more impressive than Bourdon. He made great passes, showed lots of poise and was physical. The patience he showed in setting up Toews on the powerplay and the pass he made was one of the better plays of the game. Staal was the stay at home defenseman on this pairing and though I didn’t notice anything outstanding in his play, I didn’t see him do anything wrong out there. He had a few battles with Downie and seemed to get the worst of it.

Rogers-Stephenson
Both of these guys played physical out there, but Stephenson stood out in that department for me. I could see him as the seventh defenseman on the team.

Forwards

Chipchura-Cogliano-Bertram
This line played well together. Cogliano and Bertram both have great wheels, but Cogliano is a little faster and very shifty. He will be one of our best forwards this year.

O’Marra-Toews-Bolland
This was the best line on the night for either team. All three played great and passed well. Toews is special player. He is creative, knows how the play is going to unfold and finds the right spots on the ice to go to.

Pyatt-Little-Setoguchi
They played well and all three of the lines on Team White could be kept intact on Team Canada.

Summary

Based on last night’s game, I would expect the line up to be made out of the following players.

Goalie
Price/Pogge

Defense
Bourdon-Letang
Barker-Russell
Pokulok-Staal
Stephenson

Forwards
Latendresse-Toews-Bolland
O’Marra-Cogliano-Bertram
Comeau-Little-Setoguchi
Chipchura-Boyd-Downie
Esposito or Pyatt as the 13th forward

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Good read...good news regarding Price for Habs fans and team Canada fans in general, I definately think the Pogge/Price tandem gives us the best chance to win...Price because of his mental make up and ability to steal games, and Pogge because he's been THAT good, I give him alot of props, I saw him at the rookie tournament and thought he was solid, but he's really come out of nowhere to pretty much (a formality IMO) secure a spot on team Canada. He's got the numbers to prove it, and he's backing it up when it counts. Big props for Pogge :clap:

I've always been a fan of the underdog...

Also having Price/Pogge as our goalies will do wonders for our transitional game, i've only heard of Pogge's stickhandling capabilities, but i've witnessed Price's and he's like a 3rd defensman out there

The more and more I hear about Toews the more I like him...it'll be interesting to see the head to head match with him and Kessel.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Rand said:
If as you say Price is the best goaltender there why should he have to earn it?
It should be obvious Price is the guy and the only competition there should be for the backup spot.
If Pogge means average at best goaltending for Canada then there is absolutely NO WAY he should ever have recieved consideration.
Goaltenders that at the best of their abilities only manage to be "average" aren't even close to being amongst the best young goalies in Canada.

Whoever earns it should get it, I agree. But if Pogge is as bad as you imply, and Price as good as you imply then Price will have already earned it. And Pogge eliminated a long time ago.

Sutter isn't here to play favourites or to intentionally pick a lesser goaltender. The goalies aren't here because they got lucky. Their here because their the top WJC eligible Canadian goalies. The best goaltender that Canada has will be chosen.

As a Leafs fan I'm hoping that's Pogge, but if so it won't be because Sutter is being kind to him or he had one brief strong practice and is otherwise a lackluster goalie. It will be because he is better then Ellis/Price/Dubnyk right now.
If Pogge isn't chosen, if Pogge is average at best then he won't be on the team. And that will be justified. We can't afford to choose lesser goalies then to be kind to them.
Canada isn't so much better then everyone else that we can knowingly go in with less then optimal goaltending.
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. First off, Price has to be playing at his best to be clearly the best goaltender. Price playing average or subpar for his own standards is not better than Pogge (or any of the other three guys) playing at their best. Of course Sutter is going to take the guy who is playing best right now, which is exactly what he should do. Of course he isn't going to pick a goalie to "be nice"; if Pogge is playing better than Price, he should and will be chosen.

I'm not implying Pogge is a poor goaltender by saying he would provide only average goaltending, I'm saying that on a world scale it would be average. If it's Pogge, I don't think Canada will be getting any Roberto Luongo/Jose Theadore/Manny Legace type performances this year, because Pogge simply isn't that good (at least imo). That doesn't mean he isn't the best Canada has to offer. Price, imo, does have the capability of delivering a world class performance if he plays up to his potential, but that's the key, he HAS to play up to his full potential. As of right now, I don't think he has yet for the most part, which is why the choice isn't obvious. It's not that Sutter would be intentionally choosing less than optimal goaltending as you put it if Pogge is picked, it would simply mean that our goaltending this year was a weak crop to choose from, and our best is only average. In the same way, if Price wins the job just barely beating out Pogge by playing decent but not great by his own standards, Canada will still only have average goaltending. That's why, as a fan of neither the Leafs nor Habs whatsoever, but a fan of Canada, I am hoping for Price to play up to his potential and win the #1 job.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Saying Pogge has a better record this year than Price, although true, is inaccurate based on the terrible play of Tri-City this year.. Price is being bombarded!

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Anti-Pogge people should keep in mind that Pogge is easily the best puckhandler of the group. That can be a real asset and definitely gives him an edge. He's #1 in my books.

Pouliot to me has been the most impressive player so far. Best pro potential too. Good size, great skating, great skill and has been physically aggressive too and strong on the puck. Had a whale of a 1st game and was decent in the 2nd.

On defense I really haven't been impressed with Russell. He's like a forward playing back there and has made some really tradgic plays. Bourdon has been the best, Pokuluk has been surprisingly good. Don't like Stephenson or Funk, too many bad decisions with the puck. Parent hasn't blown me away.

I'd probably go with Bourdon, Staal, Pokuluk, Rogers, Barker, Letang and Schultz. Maybe sub Parent for one of them.

Out of the non-drafted guys I think only Toews has a shot. Esposito shows great skill but just isn't experienced enough, defensively aware enough and strong enough to make it yet. He'll be a gooder though. Brassard hasn't been bad but I think you really have to stand out as a youngin to make it. Little is in the same camp as Brassard.

Up front I've been impressed with Latendresse, Boyd, Comeau, Pouliot, Downie, Chipchura, Toews, Bertram, O'Marra, Setoguchi and Pyatt. Cogliano is hit and miss, he's got great speed and skill but he is easliy pushed off the puck by big defenders.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Anti-Pogge people should keep in mind that Pogge is easily the best puckhandler of the group. That can be a real asset and definitely gives him an edge. He's #1 in my books.
What? No he isn't, Price is at least as good if not better handling the puck as, really, anyone in the CHL. He might be the guy right now, but I don't think puckhandling gives him any edge whatsoever over Price. They're both excellent.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Pouliot to me has been the most impressive player so far. Best pro potential too. Good size, great skating, great skill and has been physically aggressive too and strong on the puck. Had a whale of a 1st game and was decent in the 2nd.

I was at the game and I was thoroughly unimpressed with Pouliot. He's got puck skills and passes great, but he was floating all night and hooking players everywhere. He should have been in the penalty box all night. I can't speak about his performance in the first game, but he was truly uninspiring in the second game.

I'd probably go with Bourdon, Staal, Pokuluk, Rogers, Barker, Letang and Schultz. Maybe sub Parent for one of them.

Your defensive line-up seems to be biased towards big body physical defensemen, which I don't have a problem with, but Schultz really shouldn't be on this team. The guy is just way too slow.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

On defense I really haven't been impressed with Russell. He's like a forward playing back there and has made some really tradgic plays. Bourdon has been the best, Pokuluk has been surprisingly good. Don't like Stephenson or Funk, too many bad decisions with the puck. Parent hasn't blown me away.

Out of the non-drafted guys I think only Toews has a shot. Esposito shows great skill but just isn't experienced enough, defensively aware enough and strong enough to make it yet. He'll be a gooder though. Brassard hasn't been bad but I think you really have to stand out as a youngin to make it. Little is in the same camp as Brassard.

Up front I've been impressed with Latendresse, Boyd, Comeau, Pouliot, Downie, Chipchura, Toews, Bertram, O'Marra, Setoguchi and Pyatt. Cogliano is hit and miss, he's got great speed and skill but he is easliy pushed off the puck by big defenders.

Wow...if that's true, then he's out of this world and should man the PP for Canada during the tournament...One of Prices' greatest strengths is his puckhandling ability, I haven't seen enough of Pogge, but if he's easily the best puck handling goalie, then he's got to be better than Brodeur, Turco or DiPietro...either way, I think both of them are great puck handlers

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Here's how the #'s will go for the tournament itself:

1 Carey Price
30 Devan Dubnyk
31 Julien Ellis
33 Justin Pogge

2 Jeff Schultz
3 Marc Staal
4 Ryan Parent
5 Luc Bourdon
6 Andy Rogers
10 Kris Russell
12 Kristopher Letang
25 Cam Barker
29 Michael Funk
32 Logan Stephenson
34 Marc-Édouard Vlasic
36 Sasha Pokulok

7 Steve Downie
8 Kris Chucko
9 Andrew Cogliano
11 Angelo Esposito
14 Blake Comeau
15 Devin Setoguchi
16 Dustin Boyd
17 Kyle Chipchura
18 Bryan Little
19 David Bolland
20 Guillaume Latendresse
21 Tom Pyatt
22 Daniel Bertram
23 Ryan O’Marra
24 Jonathan Toews
26 Benoit Pouliot
27 Michael Blunden
37 Derick Brassard

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The following players skated this morning and are supposedly NOT playing tonight...Defencemen Luc Bourdon, Kristopher Letang, Kris Russell, Cam Barker, Marc Staal and Ryan Parent and forwards Dustin Boyd, Blake Comeau, Michael Blunden, Kyle Chipchura, David Bolland and Taylor Pyatt.

Based on that list, I'd say most of them have played their way onto the team. Perhaps Russell has been bad enough he is already out? Any of the others?
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=147086

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
417 TO MTL said:
Wow...if that's true, then he's out of this world and should man the PP for Canada during the tournament...One of Prices' greatest strengths is his puckhandling ability, I haven't seen enough of Pogge, but if he's easily the best puck handling goalie, then he's got to be better than Brodeur, Turco or DiPietro...either way, I think both of them are great puck handlers

I think one might be asking just a tiny bit much of them if we're expecting their already better then Marty Brodeur (quite possibly the best puckhandling goalie in the world right now).
Interesting idea though... Pogge, goaltender extroardinaire and PP QB ;)

Would be quite the amusing sight to see Pogge skating up the ice in full goalie equipment to play the point on the PP. Now that would be worth paying to see. :biglaugh:

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
RDS said that Bourdon, Letang and Latendresse have virtually secure their spot... Bourdon and Letang will not be dressed tonight while Latendresse will...

So, it's a good news for Latendresse... maybe sutter would like to know with WHO he is gonna play Latendresse...

Or maybe, he want to evaluate Derrick Brassard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad