Anybody else watching the US/Finland game and find themselves cheering for the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Wow did Mathews ever impress me yesterday. The shot, the vision, the 200 foot game. This kid is going to be sprcial

He definitely looks the complete package. Really think the difference between Matthews and Laine is not just the fact Matthews plays centre, but he looks a better player. Laine is more flash and dash, but a lot of his goals come off the rush or with a big shot. Matthews seems to find different ways to score. His shot is also more deceptive, with an amazing ability to get his shot off in a big hurry. He is also very good in his own end. Laine might be on more highlight reels, but have a feeling when he isn't scoring he may not be the most effective player. Matthews is the type of foundation center you build with.

Not really sure why so much debate about Laine and Matthews, the comparison should really be between the two Finn's. On the other side of the coin, Matthews should be more compared to Eichel...not Laine.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
He definitely looks the complete package. Really think the difference between Matthews and Laine is not just the fact Matthews plays centre, but he looks a better player. Laine is more flash and dash, but a lot of his goals come off the rush or with a big shot. Matthews seems to find different ways to score. His shot is also more deceptive, with an amazing ability to get his shot off in a big hurry. He is also very good in his own end. Laine might be on more highlight reels, but have a feeling when he isn't scoring he may not be the most effective player. Matthews is the type of foundation center you build with.

Not really sure why so much debate about Laine and Matthews, the comparison should really be between the two Finn's. On the other side of the coin, Matthews should be more compared to Eichel...not Laine.

^^^^ This

Great Post.

It's like comparing Crosby and Ovetchkin. One is all flash / highlight real and the other is more complete. Both are great players but which one would you build around.

member 157595

Pardon the intrusion but as an American I wanted to voice my opinion here...

I absolutely love Canada, but I wouldn't cheer for Team Canada specifically over Team Finland in a hockey event unless I was forced to/it would better Team USA's outcome. In hockey, I like to think that Team USA is getting better over the past few decades because we've learned from Canada...we've learned from the best and there's no shame in losing to the best. We're definitely not as good as Hockey Canada but the gap isn't as big as it used to be.

In my opinion, cheering directly for a team is very different than cheering for certain players/prospects affiliated with a certain NHL team, so I don't think it's hypocritical for any of you to want Auston Matthews (realistically, he's going 1st and I'd be shocked if that weren't the case) to rip **** up in an international tournament even though he's from Arizona.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
I think we all have to admit Matthews is not that good and will be a fringe player at best maybe a 3rd line C.
If we do draft him he definitely has to play in the AHL next year because his complete defensive game really needs to be developed more and his excellent offensive talents need to be tested against players only barely better than the players he played against last year.
Additionally his performance in the IIHF shows he is incapable of leading a bad team (like the leafs) to a winning record and therefore we should draft Laine who has proven he can play well on a good team (which the leafs arent) who don't need to play him many minutes (which the leafs do).

member 157595

I think we all have to admit Matthews is not that good and will be a fringe player at best maybe a 3rd line C.
If we do draft him he definitely has to play in the AHL next year because his complete defensive game really needs to be developed more and his excellent offensive talents need to be tested against players only barely better than the players he played against last year.
Additionally his performance in the IIHF shows he is incapable of leading a bad team (like the leafs) to a winning record and therefore we should draft Laine who has proven he can play well on a good team (which the leafs arent) who don't need to play him many minutes (which the leafs do).

You're obviously being sarcastic but I'm sure there are fans that would agree with this opinion if it were posted seriously. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad