Anybody else taking a break?

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
But if I don't have another commitment, I'm still watching on most nights.... albeit with less passion.

Bingo

I'll never miss the game if Im free. However, gone are the days where my life schedule is based around NOT missing games. When the games really matter again, that will certainly return.

I can't unlove this team. The passion runs too deep.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Between having seasons, and watching from home, i catch 95% of the games. If there are other things i need to do, the game takes a back seat. That has always been that way no matter how the Sabres are doing in the standings. But i'll usually catch the replay on MSG later that night or the next morning. So no, i have not and won't "take a break".

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Bingo

I'll never miss the game if Im free. However, gone are the days where my life schedule is based around NOT missing games. When the games really matter again, that will certainly return.

I can't unlove this team. The passion runs too deep.

so do the scars ;)

Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not saying I'm jaded, but this Czech-Canada game in a nothing tournament is more entertaining than last night's Sabres game.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And since Team Canada in this game features Derek Roy and Marc-Andre Gragnani and ex-Amerk Eric O'dell, I can't even get away from them here. :biglaugh: Ex-Sabre draftee Michal Vondrka is on the Czech team too. So is Michal Repik, but he was a Panther when he was with the Amerks, so... meh.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Nah, I just dont get worked up when they lose. Still watch, still root, but the result is whatever. I think Botts feels the same way, he's evaluating and will reshape his team.

Reactions: truthbluth

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I barely watch this team and it has nothing to do with losing. They lost with Nolan, i still watched all the games. Even if this team was winning i don't think i would be watching. Roster is as boring as hockey can be. I still watch the NHL though. I just usually flip to a different game during Sabres games. Soon as Lehner and Kane are gone i'll probably come back.

So you barely watch the team, huh?

Sheds a ton of light on your left-Field hot takes.

Noted. Doesn’t watch games. Has strong opinions. Got it.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I watch all the games that I can, but I do so with significantly less invested than I did even last year. I haven't yelled at the tv since October. When they lose, it stings, but I'm not salty. I used to make deals with my wife to do bedtime every non-game day, so she would do them game day, but I don't bother anymore. I just miss the 2nd period and come back in. I not a casual viewer. I don't go a day, let alone 4 hours without checking in here, or twitter. I take every opportunity I can to to watch prospect games. But I no longer structure my life around games.

Reactions: Scherbs

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I use to sit down and watch every game. Now its background noise while I do more constructive things. If I hear them winning I will turn my attention over to the game but for most of this season the game is just on and I drift in and out of its view.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
2017 was enough nihilism for me without indulging in nihilism for my "entertainment."

I'm taking a much needed break from the team recently and can't say I regret it. Obviously, checking in just to see how things are going, but not to the extent of watching anything or even really stat tracking.

Anybody else taking a breather from this punishment? This recent turn can't be good for the fanbase.
Hell no. If the Sabres are playing, I'm usually watching, unless I have something else going on.

I'll never take a break from this team. I just love hockey way too much.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What really frustrates me is when we had good teams an owner with deep pockets would have made a huge difference. Now that we have an owner with deep pockets, there's a salary cap and the Sabres are more than a couple players from contending.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Whether for better or worse, the Sabres are a link back to my teens and good times growing up in Buffalo. We came too close to losing the franchise to cast them aside like they're some kind of STD. Even though they are still searching for a cure!

What has always gained the respect of the overall sports community is the dedicated sports passion that WNYers have had for their sports teams. Not unlike the Wisconsin - GB Packer mystic. Something to be proud of and worth preserving.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I always watch the sabres. However, I don't get upset if I miss the odd game or period anymore. Also, watching them makes me unhappy with the sport of hockey. I have found that they've drained my desire to watch other nhl games. I even struggle with ncaa games, which used to be a big passion.

The biggest debate I have in my mind right now is - do I hate the state of the sabres or the nhl more right now. Even if the sabres were winning, these games are boring as shit.

Reactions: debaser66

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I watch as much as I can based on my busy schedule
DVR helps me. I prefer watching a game in its entirety but Work / life often has me asleep before it’s over and awake early in the AM so I often wait and watch at 4:30 or 5 AM and am finished by 7:00 when it’s time to get ready for work. Often I’ll multitask. If the GBU is a shit storm of woe and misery I sometimes skip the games. Example: watched <1.5 periods combined of the PIT back to back.

Yep. I can't ignore the opportunity cost of doing more interesting things.
I’m gonna run a coax drop to my garage so I can put an old TV there or be able to quickly swap our 2nd TV to that space.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I always watch the sabres. However, I don't get upset if I miss the odd game or period anymore. Also, watching them makes me unhappy with the sport of hockey. I have found that they've drained my desire to watch other nhl games. I even struggle with ncaa games, which used to be a big passion.

The biggest debate I have in my mind right now is - do I hate the state of the sabres or the nhl more right now. Even if the sabres were winning, these games are boring as ****.
I’m with you. So few goals are scored off the rush and I fear if obstruction is ever called the way it was 10 years ago, we’ll simply add 1-2 ppg per team to the score and it doesn’t appeal to me to see the majority of a game’s goals on the PP, and into an empty net in the last 2 minutes.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The team doesn't bother me enough to stop watching. This is my personal opinion, but turning it off seems, just, overly dramatic.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah, I still watch but I can’t remember the last time I pumped my fist when the Sabres scored. Maybe Ristolainen scoring late against the Canucks when Miller came back to Buffalo?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
2017 was enough nihilism for me without indulging in nihilism for my "entertainment."

- "What did you do today?"
- "I didn't score any goals"
- "THERE'S a game!"

giphy.webp

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm driving through Sahara right now. Running on the beaches. Getting back to form after some intense months of writing. Trying to surf and I have as much success as the Sabres doing it. Watching highlights of the games in the morning. Life is good.
2018 I'll spend at least half the year doing pointless but nice stuff like this. I will become the sober Sabres hippie of this board.
Not watching the Sabres between 1.00-4.00 at night really improves the quality of my life.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I've been watching Sabres Hockey for over 40 years now, "taking a break" doesn't work for me. Instead I've learned to watch individual players play away from the puck and watch for the good things that I don't see on highlight films. Sometimes the little things are all I get

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
For some reason other than my fiancé this team still ends up being the highlight of my day when games are on. I just upset that they lose but I gladly come back for more and get genuinely excited for the next game. Even if I have to miss a game for work or social reasons I record it and put my phone away until I can watch it like it's live.

Many of my best friendships were based away around getting together and watching this team. As a 29 year old it's still the most viable excuse to ask the guys over to hang out so I appreciate that.

I'l never give up on this team.

All I will say is that this is the first year I've genuinely disliked half the roster and openly admit it. I've hated nearly all the trades, free agents and draft picks for several years and that's starting to wear on me.

I have a fear of missing out when this team turns the corner lol. I refuse to say I wasn' there to see the game (s) when it finally happened...hope it pays off for me...

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I watch them because I grew up in Buffalo many moons ago and, shockingly, I actually like hockey. Their current ability to be good at or not is irrelevant, but with the wonders of modern life I just watch other teams/games more often when they're terrible and want to see good hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad