Any Hockey Card Collectors Here?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Bruins4Ever, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruins4Ever

Bruins4Ever Registered User

Student at UW
    I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, so if it gets moved or blocked, can you tell me the proper place to put this thread, please? So, are there any hockey card collectors on this board besides me, the hobby has certainly been on the downslide for a while now, but I still purchase hockey cards off od E-Bay. I work a lot during the school year (I'm only 16) but I manage to work hard enough to afford some of the nicer jersey/autograph cards out there. I'm probably in a very large minority, but I'm hoping there's other collectors out there besides me. :banana:

2. topshelf331

topshelf331 Registered User

Home Page:
    I quit collecting when they started to have more than the basic sets. All of these subsets are rediculous. Im fromt he days of 2 and 3 sets you could realistically complete. I may pick up a pack here or there. Or buy a few of the most recent draftees by the blues , but that is about it.

3. Hockey Card Collecting is my favorite hobby. Its exciting when you first buy a pack and open it to see what you got.

4. NYIschremp44

NYIschremp44 Registered User

hockey card collecting is what got me into following the prospects the way i do now...speaking of that...does anyone know what happened to all the draft sets like "classic"

5. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Yea, I have some Classic brand cards. Bertuzzi OHL card, and tons of random other NHL'ers.

6. Green Star

Green Star Seggy #91

Whom know
    Home Page:
    Yeah hockey card is a biiiiiiiiiiiiig part of my life! Im starting to collect old wax pack nowdays and its an hard to find and very fun hunting :)

7. bobbyboucher24

bobbyboucher24 Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm a huge collector. Backed off a little in te last 6 months, but still have a nice collection. Got out of buying packs/boxes, and now target mostly individual cards off eBay. I have really nice Hossa, Havlat, LeClair, Bondra and Heatley collections, to go along with some others.

8. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    Wow, I'm not totally alone here, that's great. My best card is a Raycroft jersey/auto card I picked up on E-bay for 12$. It's worth over $75 easily, what a card.

9. bossy22

bossy22 Registered User

I used to collect in the late 70's and early 80's when I was a kid. My Dad got me started. Lost interest when multiple companies started issuing cards. It used to be 1 company (O Pee Chee, I think) and my Dad would buy me a few packs a week. On my birthday or for Xmas, I might even get a full box to sort through.

Hit high school and kinda gave up. I think I was more interested in chasing girls than cards. Anyway still have all the cards, lots of good rookie cards. I have at least 5 Bourque, 10 Gartner, 10 Messier, 5 Kurri, 7 Bossy. Never did manage to get a Gretzky even in a full box.

Gonna give them to my kid.

Pete

10. Maelmoor

Maelmoor Registered User Sponsor

Oh yes , even got a site (not so updated, will update the coming week thou, www.maelcards.tk)

Collecting Todd Harvey and Adam Oates mostly, but also some Lecavalier.

11. Petey21

Petey21 Registered User

Home Page:
    Here in Sweden hockey cards became really popular about 10 years ago and "everyone" were into it, so I was buying lots of packs to see what I could pull and went to the local card stores to trade cards there and get rid of duplicates. Then some years later the hype was over and it wasn't as popular anymore (there are no card stores in my town anymore), but I still have the cards I got back then, and the last couple years I've been trying to start collecting Forsberg cards by buying card lots of his from Ebay. There are too many cards these days to collect them all, but I've got a couple hundred of his cards now I think and all those random cards from ten years ago as well.

12. I got about 500 cards of nhl players.

13. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    I'm still into chasing girls around, don't get me wrong, the card collecting is what I do maybe 1 or 2 times month, I go on to E-Bay, find a whole bunch of desirable cards ending approximately the same time, and I bid. It's just to keep me busy.

14. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    Tonight I just won a Jarome Iginla, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Marian Gaborik jersey cards. That'll help to finish up a page I've began with my own dream team.

15. User571

User571 Registered User

goalie instructor
    Ive collected since I was 7, and I am now 14 and I collect mostly Fleury stuff now, Im more into goalie stuff, but I get a lot of packs and stuff.

#2 Registered User

Home Page:
    I used to collet maybe 4-5 years ago, i bought packs alot cause they were fun to open and see what ya get. My first ever pack i remember i bought was Leaf Limited 94/95 and i got a Leaf Limited Gold Jaromir Jagr worth $100 bucks which isnt alot now but was alot then.

I stopped collecting though since it cost alot nowadays and their are just too many sets. I remember when Jersey Cards First came out and the odds were like 1:2200 to get one, now they are like 1:24 packs, which i find real dumb

17. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    I only go for jersey cards now. I think it's better they're more common, just simply because I don't want to buy a million packs to get a jersey card. That's all. :)

18. Blane Youngblood

Blane Youngblood Registered User

Home Page:
    Hey, can anyone tell me what my Joe Sakic rookie card is worth?

19. kmad

kmad riot survivor

I stopped collecting when they introduced holo-foils. I miss back in the good days of Topps, Score, Pro-Set and Upper Deck :(

20. Jori

Jori Registered User

Home Page:
    I used to build sets, but its too expensive now. I mostly collect Avs players and rookie cards.

21. Mooseheads@HF

[email protected] Registered User

Same is for me, now the Prospects Stuff is what i do mainly along with photography and the card collecting has become extinct...

22. Juan

Juan Registered User

Home Page:
    No, it's worth the most that someone is willing to pay for it. According to EBay, that's $12.

23. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    Ok, fair enough, but I've been to a card store and they said they'd give me between 75-100 bucks, so therefore, I say it's worth $75. :p:

24. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    I've been collecting for about 12 years now, built up a collection of about 25,000 cards, various players, new and old. Not too long ago i collected a card of every player to ever play more thn 500 games...every single player.

anywho, i've been very pissed at the card company's as of late. Every year i get a rookie card of every player that had one that year. This past year, its been harder and harder to obtain them because they short print everything and always release the update sets with huge pricetags(exception this year being topps, i love you).

I just got a thomas pock from the update set from BAP. Also in this update set was Eric Heffler. Remember him? He was a back up for for a game with the oilers 4 years ago, and THIS year they give him a rookie card. Heffler is now retired coaching at a college. BS. Also included in this set is Fredrick Henry, Andrew Allen, and Chad Alban...who also have never played a game. Most not even this freakin' year.

Yet i still keep collecting. Better than spending it on pot...i think.

25. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    Haha, ya that pot stuff is a rip off. :lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.