Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Stralman still knows how to play defense though
His brain knows how to play defense, but his body is struggling to keep up. The East sure feels a hell of a lot faster than it used to, that's for sure. We look like one of the slower teams on most nights, particularly on defense.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Stralman still knows how to play defense though

Not very well anymore. He's getting beat by speed, losing board battles, has been weak in front of the net. Sustr makes mental mistakes, physically he's playing better than Stralman. Stralman is better with the puck on his stick but he's not generating any offense with it anymore.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
However bad you two think Stralman might be playing right now, he's still miles ahead of Sustr, and he's still easily worth his cap hit. Stralman moving to the second pairing solidified that unit, Sustr on the other hand is a borderline AHL defenseman who makes routine Carle-esque mistakes each night.

Saying Sustr is playing physically better than Stralman is also a head scratcher. I cannot ever remember Sustr delivering a check like the one Stralman deliveded on Malgin, and Sustr routinely leaves smaller forwards unmolested in front of the net. They aren't remotely comparable.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I don't think he's playing worse than Sustr. I still think he's our second best D-man, although Dotchin is playing surprisingy well. I also haven't reached the point where I feel he's not worth his cap hit. But what is very evident is that he's either not as quick as he used to be, or the East is a lot faster than it used to be. Probably a combination of the two. Speed is becoming a real issue for our defense. That's not a problem that's going to just go away.

Interestingly, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, none of our D look terrible when we push the pace. They can all react fast, and move the puck quickly, but when we get hemmed into our own zone, or even just sit back against aggressive forechecking our D just get eaten alive by speed. I mean, it's to the point now where, when we try to regroup, forecheckers are almost able to get to Stralman (to say nothing of the others) before he can even get out from behind the net. He skates well enough that he can usually avoid a total disaster, but it's getting a lot dicier than it used to be. I don't like that, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
However bad you two think Stralman might be playing right now, he's still miles ahead of Sustr, and he's still easily worth his cap hit. Stralman moving to the second pairing solidified that unit, Sustr on the other hand is a borderline AHL defenseman who makes routine Carle-esque mistakes each night.

Saying Sustr is playing physically better than Stralman is also a head scratcher. I cannot ever remember Sustr delivering a check like the one Stralman deliveded on Malgin, and Sustr routinely leaves smaller forwards unmolested in front of the net. They aren't remotely comparable.

Since the start of 2017 Stralman has 1g which was a PP one, 3a 1 of which was on the PP so 2 ES points and is a -5. Sustr has 1g 3a all ES and is a -1. Stralman helped the 2nd pair with Garrison for a few weeks but they're been a dumpster fire lately. If Sustr is an AHL defenseman what's Stralman because he's put up better numbers while playing less minutes. Stralman is not worth his salary this year, Sustr is.

Sustr is not a hitter, you won't see him lay someone out in the open ice or stand someone up at the blueline. But he is good at pinning guys against the board and battling his man in front, Sustr doesn't cross check his man in front and give him the business he ties them up. With how bad Stralman has been in that department this year Sustr has been better than him at that. Sustr is last amongst defenseman in hits but is 2nd in blocks shots and 3rd in takeaways. This season, especially since the start of the new year Stralman has been awful while Sustr has been his normal self, getting away from Garrison has helped him and seems to have brought Stralman down a lot.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Did you really just cherry pick even strength stats in 2017 to try and make your point?

Let me know if you want to have an actual discussion. Nobody finds exchanging fringe stats to support or rebuke an opinion particularly fun or interesting.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Did you really just cherry pick even strength stats in 2017 to try and make your point?

Let me know if you want to have an actual discussion. Nobody finds exchanging fringe stats to support or rebuke an opinion particularly fun or interesting.

How did I cherry pick stats? Sustr gets no PP time, so all I have is ES time since I can't remember the last SH goal we've had. Sustr puts up better numbers at ES than any other defender besides Hedman and is near the bottom of time on ice. Like I also said he has more blocks than Stralman and is right behind him in takeaways, Stralman ahead in hits. What stats do you want to go by? If you want to go by current play, Sustr wins that because Stralman has been a pylon lately.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stralman's positional play sucks nads this year, but he's still the 2nd best defenseman we have and miles ahead of anyone behind him.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Stralman's positional play sucks nads this year, but he's still the 2nd best defenseman we have and miles ahead of anyone behind him.

Agreed. And his decline in play might have something to do with him playing the most hockey out of almost any other player in the league over the past 4-5 seasons. That plus his health issues can be exhausting.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stralman needs rest, a 2nd/3rd round exit does him and most of our guys no good.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016

agree completely! Sustr never tries to carry the puck out of the zone which is weak considering how bad we are getting the puck out of our end. For his size, he is the least physical of any d men and his shot from the point is not even NHL caliber. I would rather see us bring in the d man from the Bishop trade and let him develop rather than see Sustr out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The Quality of players you face as a D-man means a lot. Like a lot a lot.

Ut's easy to perform against 3-4th line plugs, less so when goibg up against the elite players in the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The Quality of players you face as a D-man means a lot. Like a lot a lot.

Ut's easy to perform against 3-4th line plugs, less so when goibg up against the elite players in the NHL.

He's on the 2nd pair now and is looking awful. Are you saying he should be a bottom pair defender so he can look good again?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Agreed. And his decline in play might have something to do with him playing the most hockey out of almost any other player in the league over the past 4-5 seasons. That plus his health issues can be exhausting.

People forget he had two major leg injuries and lost a lot of skating time. He looks better than he did 3 weeks ago, but still sluggish out there.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
He has not been himself since that.

Definitely not himself since then! The brain and Hockey IQ is still there though and during the last winning stretch he started to show some signs of regaining some of his speed and skating skills back.

Even during the Caps game, he drew the Ovechkin assignment and kept up with him and kept Ovi off the goal sheet. Unfortunately, I think Garrison drew Oshie as his assignment. *sigh*

Strals is still one of the more physical Dmen - weird considering he's the smallest of our current crop - and has been willing to hit and hip check. I loved how he glared down the fallen Marchand after their mutual penalties in that game.

Offensively, he's had a couple of 3 SOG & 4 SOG games and even one 5 SOG game recently so hopefully his offense will pick up during these last few games of the season. Just in time for the playoffs. :D

Was good to see him break his extremely long goal scoring drought during the Bruins game.

Last edited:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Just bringing this thread back to the front because Strålman has had an awesome season so far. Looks like he's totally back in top shape like his first two seasons with us. Hmm, perhaps his less than stellar last season truly WAS because he was recovering from injuries (lingering recovery from broken leg and upper body injury in Nov/Dec) rather than him getting "old."

He's been the perfect mentor/partner for Sergachev and is actually keeping up with both Hedman and Sergachev in Even Strength Goals/Assists (Hedman ES 2G 10A, Strålman ES 4G, 7A, Sergachev ES 6G, 5A). Pretty good production despite not playing on the PP.

In honor of his 2nd career 3 point night, that was somewhat overshadowed by the timely reemergence of the Hedmonster, here's some Stråls! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad