Value of: Anton Khudobin

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jake Oettinger has been playing very well and already stealing starts and Ben Bishop scheduled to return in April. Whats the market for Khudobin ? He hasn't been good this year outside 3-5 games but he still has a proven track record as an excellent 1b/backup and went to the finals last season as the Stars starting goaltender.

So what would be value for Khudobin when the Bishop comes back ?

He's signed for 2 more years after this season at $3,333,333 and has a 4 team NTC .

Reactions: Elysian

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jake Oettinger has been playing very well and already stealing starts and Ben Bishop scheduled to return in April. Whats the market for Khudobin ? He hasn't been good this year outside 3-5 games but he still has a proven track record as an excellent 1b/backup and went to the finals last season as the Stars starting goaltender.

So what would be value for Khudobin when the Bishop comes back ?

He's signed for 2 more years after this season at $3,333,333 and has a 4 team NTC .
Graves for Khudobin?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'd do that. Either Graves is Oleksiak replacement if he leaves in UFA or expansion draft fodder. Contract is pretty close to Khudobin. Not sure why the Avs would do this.
I'm not sure if I'd do it either to be honest, but I thought it would be interesting to gauge opinion.

That said, Jacob MacDonald has looked really good this season as an AHL callup and only needs another 13 games played to meet the expansion eligibility critiera which would make it less imperative to keep Graves, if only with regards to the expansion draft.

Capwise it's certainly doable this year as Graves and Khudobin have similar caphits, but $3.33m might be a bit much for a backup in the Avs cap structure next season.

Out of curiosity, would Dallas be open to something like Khudobin + Faksa for Graves+? Feel free to suggest possible returns that would work.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I'm not sure if I'd do it either to be honest, but I thought it would be interesting to gauge opinion.

That said, Jacob MacDonald has looked really good this season as an AHL callup and only needs another 13 games played to meet the expansion eligibility critiera which would make it less imperative to keep Graves, if only with regards to the expansion draft.

Capwise it's certainly doable this year as Graves and Khudobin have similar caphits, but $3.33m might be a bit much for a backup in the Avs cap structure next season.

Out of curiosity, would Dallas be open to something like Khudobin + Faksa for Graves+? Feel free to suggest possible returns that would work.
I love Graves, but it doesn't make sense if we leave him open to Seattle at the end of the season, unless we put Lindell on the exposure list (that contract is a bit bloated). I'd love for us to use Khudobin to get a younger forward prospect. Not sure what Colorado A. Has or B. Would be willing to part with.

Other teams to think about might be Tampa, Carolina (though Nedeljkovic looks good), Pittsburgh, and Edmonton.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I love Graves, but it doesn't make sense if we leave him open to Seattle at the end of the season, unless we put Lindell on the exposure list (that contract is a bit bloated). I'd love for us to use Khudobin to get a younger forward prospect. Not sure what Colorado A. Has or B. Would be willing to part with.

Other teams to think about might be Tampa, Carolina (though Nedeljkovic looks good), Pittsburgh, and Edmonton.
Avs would have the expansion issue with Khudobin needing to be exposed, so I doubt they'd want to part ways with a high prospect/pick for him. Graves is going to be exposed anyways though so it's a sideways move in terms of the expansion draft, as they're probably going to lose Graves anyways, and it's the same for Dallas in that they're likely going to have to expose Khudobin too.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs could consider offering Compher? Young forward, but development stalled this season. Khudobin would be an excellent addition, but some retention approx. $1M is needed due to the Cap hit for a backup should Francouz returns.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
AVs could consider offering Compher? Young forward, but development stalled this season. Khudobin would be an excellent addition, but some retention approx. $1M is needed due to the Cap hit for a backup should Francouz returns.
Retention on Khudobin would be ideal, but Dallas probably won't want to retain for 2 more years, and there's a good chance that Seattle would take Khudobin so it might not be essential.

If Seattle wouldn't take Khudobin though and Francouz misses the entire season there's a chance that Francouz could pass through waivers at the start of next season, in which case he could be buried as the No.3 at a $875k caphit which is reasonably manageable. Grubauer - Khudobin - Francouz (plus Annunen as AHL backup) would be excellent goalie depth.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Retention on Khudobin would be ideal, but Dallas probably won't want to retain for 2 more years, and there's a good chance that Seattle would take Khudobin so it might not be essential.

If Seattle wouldn't take Khudobin though and Francouz misses the entire season there's a chance that Francouz could pass through waivers at the start of next season, in which case he could be buried as the No.3 at a $875k caphit which is reasonably manageable. Grubauer - Khudobin - Francouz (plus Annunen as AHL backup) would be excellent goalie depth.

Actually, excellent idea to carry 3 Goalies for the XDraft and Grub holding out for a big payday.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Actually, excellent idea to carry 3 Goalies for the XDraft and Grub holding out for a big payday.
Yeah. If Grubauer wants to price himself out then Khudobin-Francouz is an adequate (albeit not great) fallback option. If Grubauer walks it's also much easier to trade for a legit starter in the offseason if you can send Khudobin back the other way, such as Khudobin+pick/prospect for Merzlikins (extended) for example.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008

Faksa just signed a team friendly five year extension to stay in Dallas last summer and given Colorado's need for a shutdown centerman, the price would be a lot (especially since Dallas and Colorado are in the same division next season). The only way I see Faksa getting traded is if Dellandrea takes his spot and becomes expendable. If Dickinson is taken by Seattle in the expansion draft, then Dallas definitely as to keep Faksa.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Faksa just signed a team friendly five year extension to stay in Dallas last summer and given Colorado's need for a shutdown centerman, the price would be a lot (especially since Dallas and Colorado are in the same division next season). The only way I see Faksa getting traded is if Dellandrea takes his spot and becomes expendable. If Dickinson is taken by Seattle in the expansion draft, then Dallas definitely as to keep Faksa.
What would be the price? Avs have a lot of good prospects, particularly RHD's which is Dallas' biggest need in their prospect pool...

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
He’s had a rough season but could be a steal. In a trade Dallas would have to take back a goaltender who’s available for the ED.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He’s had a rough season but could be a steal. In a trade Dallas would have to take back a goaltender who’s available for the ED.

Not really. Stars can just throw another contract at Landon Bow or simply extend RFA Colton Point before the expansion draft.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Not really. Stars can just throw another contract at Landon Bow or simply extend RFA Colton Point before the expansion draft.
Goalies can be RFA unlike F where you need 2 signed beyond this year and D 1 signed beyond this year, so the Stars have 3 goalies that fix the expansion requirements: Khudobin, Bow, Point, while Bishop will be automatically protected and Oettinger is exempt.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Goalies can be RFA unlike F where you need 2 signed beyond this year and D 1 signed beyond this year, so the Stars have 3 goalies that fix the expansion requirements: Khudobin, Bow, Point, while Bishop will be automatically protected and Oettinger is exempt.

You're right , even better. Stars are just good to go on the goalie front for the expansion draft.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
What would be the price? Avs have a lot of good prospects, particularly RHD's which is Dallas' biggest need in their prospect pool...
No idea what Faksa's value is right now. He started off on a slump, and Dallas is hoping he re-gains his form. In top form, he is the Stars' best two-way center and is very valuable on the PK and shutting down other team's top lines. I think he is more valuable to Dallas than in a trade.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I'd do that. Either Graves is Oleksiak replacement if he leaves in UFA or expansion draft fodder. Contract is pretty close to Khudobin. Not sure why the Avs would do this.
They wouldn't. I'm not a fan of Graves but he is worth more than Khudobin.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Can't afford to lose Grave's shot blocking on the PK. He has a role.
He has a role but he's hardly irreplaceable given the Avs depth at LHD. Shotblocking is just one facet of PKing, and overall it probably isn't a stretch to say that between them Girard, Toews, and Byram could replicate Graves' overall effectiveness on the PK.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He has a role but he's hardly irreplaceable given the Avs depth at LHD. Shotblocking is just one facet of PKing, and overall it probably isn't a stretch to say that between them Girard, Toews, and Byram could replicate Graves' overall effectiveness on the PK.

Avs don't have the reliable (health) depth to trade Graves until the season ends.

I'm not wanting to see Pateryn or Renouf near the playoff ice nor has Timmins shown to be worthy of being more than #7-8 so far this year

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Avs don't have the reliable (health) depth to trade Graves until the season ends.

I'm not wanting to see Pateryn or Renouf near the playoff ice nor has Timmins shown to be worthy of being more than #7-8 so far this year
Miska as backup to a starter with known injury history is a far bigger concern than depth on D. Khudobin would give the Avs a backup you can trust to win a series if Grubauer pulls his groin again.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Miska as backup to a starter with known injury history is a far bigger concern than depth on D. Khudobin would give the Avs a backup you can trust to win a series if Grubauer pulls his groin again.

I understand, just don't agree

Sakic may just have to part with a 1st for once to fix the goaler issue.

It won't take near that much to get a respectable fill in though, but this is where contenders start burning some futures

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad